Chappell Roan cancels performances last minute

Fender

17 hours ago, Ari29 said:

I don't follow this girl and only hear about her online, still never listened to a song but I find it odd how so many people know all about her medical diagnosis. With the way her supporters are using it to dismiss very real criticisms about her unprofessionalism, it reads as a crutch/excuse. 

Most people who actively seek out stardom have followed some artist at one point and have heard some of these same sentiments about fame. You and I both being Beyonce fans have heard he speak on it being a thing since DC4 broke up. The saying, " the show must go on", in show business has not and will not change. 

Artists like her and Tyla received inorganic pushes and are showing just how not built for this they are. But they both fan the flames and that is why they are so negatively perceived.

People know about her medical diagnosis because at the height of her fame and discussion of her, all the pop twitter accounts were talking about it which created even more chatter from the same people you are likely to hear about her from online which made it even more of a topic of conversation.

I think it's unfair to say x, y, and z popstar from the past had to suffer through fame so YOU have to as well. YOU must shut up. YOU must never complain about harassment or stalking. YOU must smile and stay pretty for the cameras. I bet if you interviewed Beyoncé in 2000 about the split up and how it affected her and asked her directly if fame was what she thought it'd be, she'd most likely answer that it's NOT what she thought it'd be and is WAY harder to deal with than she thought, even being the MJ fan she is, etc.

"The show must go on" is inspiring in a "keep calm and carry on" quotable way, but sometimes knowing when the show needs to stop can be beneficial, not just for your mental health but for your career. For example, if Britney felt she could cancel the VMAs in 2007, even at the last minute before she went on, might that have saved her a lot of ridicule, embarrassment and mistreatment that ended up affecting both her career and her personal life at the time? She wasn't under a conservatorship then and it plausibly helped whichever judge ruled to get her under that conservatorship make that decision. Did anyone applaud her then or now for performing despite not being in the right mindset? She'd probably be called unprofessional if she cancelled but that would pale in comparison to the ridicule she was given after the performance about how she looked, how she seemed. There were countless jokes from around the world at her expense, on tv shows, on the radio, at water coolers. There were parodies. Images from it were printed in newspapers ands magazines and published in blogs and people made fun of her as a Halloween costume, etc. The infamous "Leave Britney Alone" video happened BECAUSE of all the ridicule she faced over this one performance, a time she let the show go on despite it not being in her best interest to do so.

All in all, asking that popstars be superheroes who cannot take mental health days may have been fine before but it's 2024 now and it's high time that these things become normal. If she couldn't physically sing would anyone be mad at her? If she mentally cannot take performing at this moment, why are people mad at her? It's because people don't view mental health issues as real issues, they see it as a "crutch" or "excuse".

Edited by swissman
  • Like 2

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swissman

• Communion

• Sheep

• Josh

Sucks for the fans, but hopefully she can get the therapy support that she needs to deal with whatever she's going through mentally.

3 hours ago, swissman said:

People know about her medical diagnosis because at the height of her fame and discussion of her, all the pop twitter accounts were talking about it which created even more chatter from the same people you are likely to hear about her from online which made it even more of a topic of conversation.

I think it's unfair to say x, y, and z popstar from the past had to suffer through fame so YOU have to as well. YOU must shut up. YOU must never complain about harassment or stalking. YOU must smile and stay pretty for the cameras. I bet if you interviewed Beyoncé in 2000 about the split up and how it affected her and asked her directly if fame was what she thought it'd be, she'd most likely answer that it's NOT what she thought it'd be and is WAY harder to deal with than she thought, even being the MJ fan she is, etc.

"The show must go on" is inspiring in a "keep calm and carry on" quotable way, but sometimes knowing when the show needs to stop can be beneficial, not just for your mental health but for your career. For example, if Britney felt she could cancel the VMAs in 2007, even at the last minute before she went on, might that have saved her a lot of ridicule, embarrassment and mistreatment that ended up affecting both her career and her personal life at the time? She wasn't under a conservatorship then and it plausibly helped whichever judge ruled to get her under that conservatorship make that decision. Did anyone applaud her then or now for performing despite not being in the right mindset? She'd probably be called unprofessional if she cancelled but that would pale in comparison to the ridicule she was given after the performance about how she looked, how she seemed. There were countless jokes from around the world at her expense, on tv shows, on the radio, at water coolers. There were parodies. Images from it were printed in newspapers ands magazines and published in blogs and people made fun of her as a Halloween costume, etc. The infamous "Leave Britney Alone" video happened BECAUSE of all the ridicule she faced over this one performance, a time she let the show go on despite it not being in her best interest to do so.

All in all, asking that popstars be superheroes who cannot take mental health days may have been fine before but it's 2024 now and it's high time that these things become normal. If she couldn't physically sing would anyone be mad at her? If she mentally cannot take performing at this moment, why are people mad at her? It's because people don't view mental health issues as real issues, they see it as a "crutch" or "excuse".

I wasn't saying that it's not necessarily unfair, what I was saying was that if you want to enter into it (fame) there should be some level of mental preparedness on your part - as it was your intent to receive that kind of attention. 

This especially goes for a person seeking fame in this particular climate; where parasocial relationships with pop stars are almost a key factor to their success. You may not know the extent to which your fame will rise and how fast - which I guess in her case is slightly understandable. Because like I said I never knew of her until the threads on here about her potentially going number 1. 

But everything since that point I have heard about her is negative. I don't seek her out at all, and that says to me the general perception of her is changing/negative. That's not good so early on

People can shut the f*ck up, this happens all the time. The last festival I went to had like 8 large artists cancel within a weeks notice, some posting the announcement the DAY OF. I literally went to the stage pinkpanthress was supposed to be on and when some random ***** came out instead of her, I had to look at her Twitter page to see her announcement that day. 

Where's the fumes for pinkpanthress? 

Why should we sympathize with her and feel sorry for her? She's narcissistic to think people will feel empathy for her because she's famous. It's simple, no commitment to your art and your job, no fame. It's slowly finishing and after all she'll be just a short memory from 2024.

Spoiler

I guess she's now scared as **** after the bullshit she said about Kamala, such a child 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

3 hours ago, DougAF said:

People can shut the f*ck up, this happens all the time. The last festival I went to had like 8 large artists cancel within a weeks notice, some posting the announcement the DAY OF. I literally went to the stage pinkpanthress was supposed to be on and when some random ***** came out instead of her, I had to look at her Twitter page to see her announcement that day. 

That's ****** up!

9 hours ago, DougAF said:

I literally went to the stage pinkpanthress was supposed to be on and when some random ***** came out instead of her, I had to look at her Twitter page to see her announcement that day. 

exactly

The people backing up what Chappell had to say, like Chappell herself, all have the attitude of the world -and the US in particular- being in a different place than it currently is. Kind of reminds me of reading Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth and coming to that part where it says that the reason the bible and religion turns off a lot of people, especially youth, is that it's full of old rules that apply to an old world. Nothing is cut and dry, "Both sides bad" is very Jon Stewart living in a Clinton/Obama era world. It's like yes, still true, but now there is someone who is trying to permanently install himself and an uncomfortable amount of people are still supporting him. People shouldn't have to support a candidate they're not into, and they don't have to, and the US helping Israel is like some dark sided alternate reality where Pearl Harbor never happened, with the US unbothered and even helping the Nazi's out. However, because things have gone to hell in the US, we've got yet more fires burning that are also very important for the people who live there too. Everything is in flux. Nothing is a single issue anymore. 

As for Chappell herself, she should for her own sanity weigh the pros and cons of truly going after superstardom and making adjustments for that (a break to personally adjust, finally get the courage up to call Lady Gaga & get advice), or deciding what level she's happiest at and going from there. At the moment she's just in a weird place where she's reaping all the negatives of superstardom, but not all the rewards fully yet. She's doing the complete opposite of the old PR adage of "never complain, never explain."

• Like 1

From someone who only likes a few of her songs and doesn't really listen to her music, most of what I see/hear about her has this general tone of "I want to be famous, but don't look at me or be a fan of me or anything!!" But artists WORK to have their name out there and be in the public eye, so if she didn't want that she could easily be like Frank Ocean or Kali Uchis and release her music and go live her life without doing every major promo imaginable. If I were her here's what I would do:

1. Focus on creating a POSITIVE circle of friends/family/loved ones who keep me grounded and remind me that I am a person outside of the industry

2. Re-organize with my team about priorities as an artist, how I want to promote. If anything, making yourself scarce and just coming out to swing every now and then is genuinely cool and creates respect and anticipation 
3. Get off social media and focus on making good art and collecting the bag and using this once in a lifetime opportunity to create something genuinely unique and interesting 

4. Get extensive therapy and possibly antidepressants- it can be hard to trial new medication while having to constantly be ON, but therapy does help. 

Edited by Cyanide
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Ari29 said:

I wasn't saying that it's not necessarily unfair, what I was saying was that if you want to enter into it (fame) there should be some level of mental preparedness on your part - as it was your intent to receive that kind of attention. 

This especially goes for a person seeking fame in this particular climate; where parasocial relationships with pop stars are almost a key factor to their success. You may not know the extent to which your fame will rise and how fast - which I guess in her case is slightly understandable. Because like I said I never knew of her until the threads on here about her potentially going number 1. 

But everything since that point I have heard about her is negative. I don't seek her out at all, and that says to me the general perception of her is changing/negative. That's not good so early on

I'd say if everything you've heard about her is negative, maybe your opinion of her is skewed. I don't think it's a big deal that she's speaking out as she is about her negative experience with fame or that she's feeling hindered by it or that it's affected her to the extent that she needs to cancel some shows to keep her mentally healthy. In this particular climate we should be more understanding. It's not 2008 anymore. Everyone looked back in horror at how poorly Britney was treated and now a starlet is saying she's struggling and what's the response? "Ungrateful", "hypocritical", "whiny", "she knew what she was doing"... I find it a bit absurd, not to mention a lot of people seem to be putting words or actions into her mouth.

3 hours ago, swissman said:

I'd say if everything you've heard about her is negative, maybe your opinion of her is skewed. I don't think it's a big deal that she's speaking out as she is about her negative experience with fame or that she's feeling hindered by it or that it's affected her to the extent that she needs to cancel some shows to keep her mentally healthy. In this particular climate we should be more understanding. It's not 2008 anymore. Everyone looked back in horror at how poorly Britney was treated and now a starlet is saying she's struggling and what's the response? "Ungrateful", "hypocritical", "whiny", "she knew what she was doing"... I find it a bit absurd, not to mention a lot of people seem to be putting words or actions into her mouth.

I'm no Britney fan, but to say that she is getting even a small fraction of that type of harassment is very delusional. To compare the two just makes absolutely no sense. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Ari29 said:

I'm no Britney fan, but to say that she is getting even a small fraction of that type of harassment is very delusional. To compare the two just makes absolutely no sense. 

But I didn't say "she's getting a fraction of the type of harassment". I'd like to be very specific if you're going to call me "very delusional" for something you decided I said.

These are my words: "Everyone looked back in horror at how poorly Britney was treated and now a starlet is saying she's struggling and what's the response?"

The comparison isn't about what their individual struggles, but the response from people online.

Now you may be saying Britney deserves more sympathy due to the extent of what she went through, and that may be true, but if that's the case, I find it very short-sighted to imply someone must suffer past a threshold before people can take what they're saying seriously. Do we really need Chappell to have a break-down on stage, to be attacked by paparazzi, to get to Britney-levels of harassment before she is welcome to say "this is not okay" without people making fun of her and hating her for it? This is a backwards way to look at fame and mental illness, separately and in tandem.

My point is simple. If we admonish the treatment Britney had, then anything of the same category (even if it is less than whatever a "small fraction" is) should be squashed from the start. Again, it's 2024. We don't need to live in a "the show must go on" or "that's just the price of fame!" mentality, especially not when it comes to something as potentially serious as mental illness. Again, I ask what the difference is between a singer who physically cannot sing cancelling a show and a performer who mentally cannot perform? The difference is people don't take mental illness seriously.

Edited by swissman

On 9/29/2024 at 1:05 PM, BrokenMachine said:

Not ATRLers pushing the fake narrative of her being a MAGA :toofunny3:

She votes Democrat and it's not like Trump's own niece isn't a Democrat herself.

People will find any excuse to hate on someone they don't like.

ot, someone needs to give this girl some therapy because she clearly needs some help to cope with the sudden change in her lifestyle.

On 9/29/2024 at 3:03 AM, Daglazzo said:

Why should we sympathize with her and feel sorry for her? She's narcissistic to think people will feel empathy for her because she's famous. It's simple, no commitment to your art and your job, no fame. It's slowly finishing and after all she'll be just a short memory from 2024.

Hide contents

I guess she's now scared as **** after the bullshit she said about Kamala, such a child 

For jobless nobodies with nothing to show for your lives except ATRL upvotes, ya'll certainly have a lot of vitriol toward a young woman who's worked nonstop since age 14 toward her dream and achieved massive success. 

Edited by PoisonPill

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.