Chappell Roan cancels performances last minute

Fender

Just now, Sheep said:

Let me just leave this here

Yes, criticizing people in power even if they're on your team is how progress gets done and how things works:

If public figures are dog-pilled on + harassed to the point of wanting to pull back from public life for *punching up* at powerful politicians who perpetuate harm against people like them - let alone angering partisans for lacking enough "enthusiasm" in how they share their vote for a candidate (:rip:) - that exactly how progress doesn't happen.

It is objectively reactionary and removed from reality to get mad at a celebrity for PUNCHING UP at any politician for being to the right of them. 

To think a 26-year-old lesbian from Missouri has more power than the very people who sign off on the bombs that kill tens of thousands is ????? like be serious.

By all means, be annoyed if you were a *re-reads* festival ticket holder, but any other complaint by anyone is just illiteracy at this point to what material reality is and who has power. It's not serious to resent a pop star for being to the left of a politician. It's not serious to think a pop star is who has to compromise their morals to help politicians with billionaire donors win elections. This anger following her - that clearly is affecting her - has devolved into senseless derangement. 

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swissman

• Communion

• Sheep

• Josh

9 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

a White House spokesperson supporting

Burying the lede there!

blAGgCZ.png

Again, the very people mocking her for being bipolar and arguing she deserves to be harassed now for having "poorly informed political opinions" apparently themselves don't process or acknowledge political realities that are adverse to their intended, self-interested goals.

Like I literally don't care who anyone votes for. I think it's horrendous people are arguing that a young queer woman deserves to be pummeled down on and harassed for having politics that are to the left of the specific candidate they're supporting, even when voting for her. 

Edited by Communion

9 minutes ago, Communion said:

It is objectively reactionary and removed from reality to get mad at a celebrity for PUNCHING UP at any politician for being to the right of them. 

When there are only TWO options, and you're choosing to attack one and not the other for a stance they both hold, it stops feeling like well intentioned criticism. Yes the biden admin has been a nightmare but the alternative openly dehumanizes trans people(and i mean that literally, as in tries to label members of our own community as sub-human). This isn't even a both sides are equally bad issue like the other major elephant in the room, there is one who is exponentially worse and it's not the one you(or Chappell) is choosing to go after for it.

"I support Kamala Harris but x and y policies are foul and I wish she wasn't the best option" would have been a completely different, less career damaging statement than "both are bad" followed up by "i previously said donald trump is also bad to be clear"

Edited by Sheep
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Sheep said:

When there are only TWO options

This is now the 2nd time you've avoided addressing the point being discussed. Why?

> You claim Chappell isn't supporting Harris.

>> I point out that Chappell is literally voting for Harris.

> You don't address this and repeat the quoted text.

> You deny that the Biden admin has been criticized for past policies on trans healthcare.

>> I point out that the Biden admin recently came out against gender-affirming surgeries for minors and only walked back this stance when transgender leaders and activists called them out over it as misguidedly giving into and supporting right-wing narratives.

?

Surely one sees how it's baseless to frame Chappell as ignorant if one themselves is not even aware of the Biden admin's own policies or controversies?

16 minutes ago, Communion said:

This is now the 2nd time you've avoided addressing the point being discussed. Why?

> You claim Chappell isn't supporting Harris.

>> I point out that Chappell is literally voting for Harris.

>Chappell only said that she was voting for Harris after weeks of online discourse about her choosing to say every single thing possible except that, and when she did confirm her vote, did reiterate that she does NOT support Kamala Harris. She could have said she was voting for Kamala 14 statements on the matter previous and continuously chose not to. The damage to her reputation in the eyes of people who don't support fascism is done and my initial, not grossly off topic point that there are earnest reasons for people's growing distaste for Chappell outside of being gays who are also homophobic or being radicalized right wingers stands. 

I get that you love fascists because you've been brainwashed to think that liberals are the worst faction in politics, but the rest of us(including leftists, centrists, and even a hefty portion of right wingers too) can see that Donald Trump is plotting to ruin the little good left in this country.

> You deny that the Biden admin has been criticized for past policies on trans healthcare.

I quite literally never said this

>> I point out that the Biden admin recently came out against gender-affirming surgeries for minors and only walked back this stance when transgender leaders and activists called them out over it as misguidedly giving into and supporting right-wing narratives.

I did not walk back any stance.

Surely one sees how it's baseless to frame Chappell as ignorant if one themselves is not even aware of the Biden admin's own policies or controversies?

Again there are TWO options and you're fixating on the problems with the lesser of two evils. If we want to hold these vampires accountable then by all means go ahead, but continuing to call all Harris supporters "radicalized right wingers" and continuously equating the more progressive democrats and the less progressive republicans because they're both ultimately wrong is insanity. One is ignorant and misguided and the other is radically and proudly hateful. Being tripped walking down the street and being pushed down 10 flights of stairs are both criminal actions but one of them is attempted murder.

Edited by Sheep
  • Thumbs Down 1

Chappell has to be the most exhausting and irritating artist to stan. Her fans can't seem to catch a break. And there is nothing they can say to defent her because she's always the problem and the reason for drama.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sheep said:

after weeks of online discourse

> September 20th - Guardian interview that started the discourse

> September 25th - She says she's voting for Kamala

Why are some of you acting like this? This is derangement. :rip: Your derangement has removed you from being able to speak honestly and acknowledge basic facts.

18 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Again there are TWO options

Again, there is no material basis for this anger. This isn't even how elections work. This is just a rejection of political science at this point.

"Chappell is ATTACKING (read: criticizing) Kamala!!!". ...and? Isl Roan punching down or up at Kamala? Is she criticizing her from the left or from the right?

Kamala Harris is more privileged than Chappell Roan. She is more powerful than Chappell Roan.

Kamala Harris is literally the 2nd most powerful politician in America, one of the most powerful in the world, and aiming to be the most powerful in the world.

If Kamala Harris risks losing because so many people would agree with Chappell Roan's criticisms of her... that means Kamala Harris is choosing to lose to Trump. That's how electoral politics works. Politicians court and try to earn votes by offering policies to establish as successful of a coalition as possible.

If Chappell Roan somehow represents most voters, and most voters won't like Harris because of things Chappell says, that means Harris is running an awful campaign that requires immediate intervention and even more criticism to get Harris to change her campaign strategy and policy decisions as soon as possible. 

Chappell Roan is a pop star. Kamala Harris is running to be who gets to decide if the US helps Israel kill up-to as many as 400,000 more Gazans. One of these people is punching up and the other is who is being punched up at. It's reactionary to want people to endure harassment and have their mental health mocked because they punch up at powerful elites. Elites they're voting for!

Like this is silly, stop being silly lol??

Edited by Communion
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jay07 said:

It's so weird that every one of those posts supposedly defending Chappell ends in some weird anti-Kamala/coconut rant which just tells me certain people don't actually care about her and are just using her as a vessel for their obsessive anti-Democrat hatred and to spew their constant anti-Democrat propaganda and misinformation when that's never what SHE did. How does this even relate to the topic of Chappell cancelling her appearances?

God forbid someone doesn't jizz over the upcoming fascist warmongering American regime

OT: Chappell we love you! She's kinda the smartest American celebrity right now

2 minutes ago, ElleDriver said:

God forbid someone doesn't jizz over the upcoming fascist warmongering American regime

OT: Chappell we love you! She's kinda the smartest American celebrity right now

You have the wrong fascist sweetie.

17 minutes ago, Communion said:

September 20th - Guardian interview that started the discourse

> September 25th - She says she's voting for Kamala

Why are some of you acting like this? This is derangement. :rip: Your derangement has removed you from being able to speak honestly and acknowledge basic facts.

I also said that she made 15 statements on this discourse in the next sentence. I was being hyperbolic. I get that you must be quaking after being dogwalked so effortlessly but surely you're better than getting into semantical arguments like a 12 year old 4chan troll, then again you're indirectly supporting fascism so maybe you aren't better at all.

Again, there is no material basis for this anger. This isn't even how elections work. This is just a rejection of political literacy at this point.

It is September 28th on an election year. Any support for other options at this point is either a waste of breath or a targeted attempt at stealing portions of one of the two options' bases. Two options is 100% how this stage of American presidential elections work. 

"B-b-but Chappell is ATTACKING (read: criticizing) Kamala!!!". ...and? Is Chappell Roan punching down or up at Kamala? Is she criticizing her from the left or from the right?

Chappell is punching the only hope we have against a fascist dictatorship and that's enough for anybody who isn't deranged to look less fondly upon her. Any talk of privilege or power structures is completely irrelevant in light of the bigger fish we have to fry as US citizens. There is a fight for the survival of the US that has been ongoing this decade and until we stabilize, any type of punch being thrown out at the last bastion of democracy is a pro-fascist move.

We've seen what happens when racist militant right-wing fascists who like genocide are given total control of a world power. I can personally guarantee you that a successful project 25 is a death sentence for a much larger group of people. You either look stupid or like you're so radicalized that you're on the verge of having a episode and switching sides.

tenor.gif

Edited by Sheep
  • Haha 1

Two cancellations in less than a month, this one is because her health ok, but the first one? I love her music, but she needs to focus...

I really can't with these confident assertions about things that I said that I never said or even alluded to. Straight out of the MAGA playbook and claims to be a leftist :bibliahh:

1 minute ago, Sheep said:

Chappell is punching the only hope we have against a fascist dictatorship

"Chappell Roan is a piece of **** for pointing out Harris' deeply unpopular policies. She's gonna be why Harris loses to a fascist!!!"

???

WHY IS KAMALA HARRIS COMMITTING HERSELF TO DEEPLY UNPOPULAR POLICIES THAT WILL MAKE HER LOSE WHEN TRUMP IS A FASCIST? WHY IS HARRIS RISKING LOSING OUR COUNTRY TO A FASCIST FOR UNPOPUPAR POLICIES?? :redface:

Again, it's a failure of a basic literacy of political science at hand here. "It's not the politician who will be at fault for picking bad policies. It's the voters who will be at fault for not forcing themselves into liking bad policies!!". Please dear God never go into politics. You're raging over a pop star who IS voting for your candidate?? :redface:

2 minutes ago, Communion said:

"Chappell Roan is a piece of **** for pointing out Harris' deeply unpopular policies. She's gonna be why Harris loses to a fascist!!!"

???

WHY IS KAMALA HARRIS COMMITTING HERSELF TO DEEPLY UNPOPULAR POLICIES THAT WILL MAKE HER LOSE WHEN TRUMP IS A FASCIST? WHY IS HARRIS RISKING LOSING OUR COUNTRY TO A FASCIST FOR UNPOPUPAR POLICIES?? :redface:

Again, it's a failure of a basic literacy of political science at hand here. "It's not the politician who will be at fault for picking bad policies. It's the voters who will be at fault for not forcing themselves into liking bad policies!!". Please dear God never go into politics. You're raging over a pop star who IS voting for your candidate?? :redface:

It is indeed a failure of basic literacy when I said that a talented, interesting, well-meaning artist that I am a fan of has rightfully drawn criticism for her backwards and incongruous statements and you're pretending I called her a piece of **** who will singlehandedly undermine an entire US election.

Somebody is definitely raging here and it's not me. Did you have to order the red cap or do they just spawn in at your doorstep once you decide to start lying about democrats and their voter base?

tenor.gif

• Haha 3

The very fact that we are trying to equate an administration that had the decency to walk back a potentially damaging statement to a group of people that are literally trying to deny the very existence of trans people and paint them as "the same" proves that we are dealing with either well meaning but ignorant people (Chappell) or way more insidious but ultimately powerless bad actors that are so obsessed with their hatred of the Democratic party since their attempted takeover failed, that they will just keep on trying to plink away at the Democrats with bad faith lies and misrepresentations instead of trying to build coalitions and thus are doomed to remain impotently raging on twitter/gay pop boards forever instead of actually being able to affect change. 

Edited by Jay07
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, Sheep said:

has rightfully drawn criticism for her backwards and incongruous statements

The statement in question:

Roan.jpg?fit=500,534&ssl=1

I don't think it's sign of a healthy society if someone recognizing their vote for a right wing politician is going to be one they won't feel enthusiasm about should apparently be harassed and degraded to the point of being forced to cancel work. Wanna know who else harasses and dehumanizes people to the left of them?

Edited by Communion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Communion said:

I just think there's nothing that can actually be addressed if someone doesn't accept the basic reality that gay women experience gayness differently than gay men by virtue of being women while being gay. Gay women experience compulsory heterosexuality, for example. Gay men do not experience that same phenomenon by virtue of that gay men cannot experience misogyny, but perpetuate it.

If gay men can be misogynistic, they can be misogynistic towards to lesbians in ways that uniquely target gay women's unique experiences they don't experience.

You just have to look at how ATRL often described her initial fanbase and the way young sapphic female fanbases are often spoken about. 

This doesn't just stop at cis lesbians. You just have to look at the way for years any topic about nonbinary celebs devolved into people making similarly hostile comments about "bisexual AFABs!!!!" and the transphobic + misogynistic insinuation that nearly all nonbinary people are just "cis bi women wanting to be different". That view is long pervasive in this digital space.

While I agree with a lot of what you've written here, I don't necessarily see how it applies to this specific situation. I think you're veering far from the core. And, at its core, the true problem is that Chappell's actions don't match her words. You don't get to complain about how hard your life is and how difficult it is to be famous when you have been beating your chest like a war drum ever since changing your image. And that image is designed to garner her as much attention as humanly possible.

It's hard to root for a modern-day Icarus who got exactly what they wanted when there are countless artists who never get even a tenth of the advantages she has. And that includes other queer artists, for example, MUNA, Jessica 6/Nomi Ruiz, Man on Man, etc. I could have more sympathy if her success were all some big, crazy accident. But I think it's fairly obvious that it wasn't.

You can't trade in arrogance for "I'm so sad that I got what I wanted uwu" that quickly when you're also screwing over the people who paid good money to come see you. I gave Janet just as much flack when she started repeatedly cancelling on her fans, and she has had to grind to get back into people's good graces ever since. But she also has the strength of a solid back catalogue, a decades-long career, and legend status, which has helped her immensely. Chappell does not.

If you're sad, stressed, pissed, frustrated, put that energy into your craft. Step away and then throw all you've got into your art and not effing over the people who are quite literally your patrons.

Edited by The7thStranger
  • Thanks 9

No this was made after the previous two statements in question. This was too little too late but was not the actually harmful statement, I have already said such in the thread. Good attempt at asserting the opposite of what's happening though, you'll be talking about eating cats and dogs in no time. :heart:

I don't think it's sign of a healthy society that someone recognizing their vote for a right wing politician is going to be one they won't feel enthusiasm about should apparently be harassed and degraded to the point of being forced to cancel work. Wanna know who else harassed and dehumanizes people to the left of them?

I don't think it's a sign of a healthy society when people like you are so far radicalized that they begin to lie and completely melt down when confronted with the harm their bizarre cognitive biases cause society. Wanna know who else is so far down the political radicalization pipeline that they'll do any and everything except act in their own interest then go down kicking and screaming and lying?

Edited by Sheep
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, ***** of Babylon said:

she's not the first pop star to ever exist, and she's certainly nowhere near the level of britney's magnitude of stardom.

flaking out on shows this early on in her career just makes her lazy.

Oh for sure, but she isn't those other pop stars. She can't handle the pressure and she's from a generation where mental health and work life balance are prioritized over the hustle culture of the past.

4 hours ago, GipJo said:

I don't think she has much pressure from the industry/label because according to her she got the best deal she wanted out of label contract, I don't think she can be pressured to take gigs she didn't want to do. They can't even pressure her to shoot a music video, even the biggest genz artist Billie had to phone it for her BOAF MV when she clearly didn't want to.

There's a lot of grey area in there though. Getting a good deal with her label  doesn't mean she doesn't have management around her that is driving her career.

Not to mention the pressures from the public. Not saying she doesn't deserve the pressure cause she signed on to be a pop star, but it's pressure still indeed on a magnified level.

23 minutes ago, Communion said:

Roan.jpg?fit=500,534&ssl=1

I don't think it's sign of a healthy society if someone recognizing their vote for a right wing politician is going to be one they won't feel enthusiasm about should apparently be harassed and degraded to the point of being forced to cancel work. Wanna know who else harasses and dehumanizes people to the left of them?

There's a reality where she can easily backpedal and turn off her cellphone it really isn't that difficult. I don't think anybody is arguing that it is okay for her to be bombarded with nasty comments harassing her but she also can just get offline for a bit to take a break from that and come back when she's ready to do so. She has every major pop stars cell phone number and can ask any of them what to do and get advice but instead constantly takes to TikTok to vent frustrations instead.

Back on topic: it is unprofessional to cancel a gig within a day of performing. It really isn't that hard to just turn off social media for a bit to let the blowback die down and come back like 2 weeks later (the go to Selena Gomez tactic). If you struggle with mental health issues of course you need to get yourself together, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't fulfill the obligation to the people who are signing your checks. She wasn't forced to cancel her work, she did so willingly to "prioritize her mental health". 

3 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

I could have more sympathy if her success were all some big, crazy accident. But I think it's fairly obvious that it wasn't.

Some of this is..huh? Wasn't she a literal camp counselor when her debut dropped? The same album that took almost 4 years between the lead single to come out? An album campaign that literally saw her dropped from her label in the middle of? Her success is largely seen as a rare accident. 

I think this kind of retconning that occurs in order to allow the user to not just be uninterested in her but instead essentialize her as something bad despite inaccuracy gives credence to the very point I'm making. 

You're trying to say the criticisms of her aren't pointed but then make what is a very pointed comment that essentializes her. "Icarus"? Sister... just say she's an anxious gay like the rest of us and won't always get her point across. But that would also concede that any anger at her doing something so innocuous is silly. 

8 minutes ago, Sheep said:

I don't think it's a sign of a healthy society when people like you are so far radicalized

You're claiming people who don't vote are radicalized when a plurality of Americans are non-voters. Privileged people vote. Most non-voters are actually marginalized. Because they feel voting hasn't improved their life. Because politicians don't work to earn their vote. 

combine_images-4.jpg?fit=1024,1024

This is why this is all so userious and weird. You're flying off the handle over what *is* scary yet don't see how people can see you're lashing out over a frustration in knowing you can't change Kamala or stop her from making bad choices and so your feelings of feeling powerless manifest in lashing out at other powerless and non-privileged people. 

In this election, with turnout expected to go down from 2020, there's a very likely reality that "did not vote" will win in every state again like in has for decades. For your own sake, you should reconcile with that reality and your projections over it due to your fears and anger won't make it go away. 

Let alone your candidate literally has Roan's vote! It Roan was less privileged, she probably wouldn't even vote!

Everyone loves to criticize, until something serious happens - then those same critics will be like "this is so sad, this is what the industry does to people" etc. etc. She can't win.

Whilst I agree fans have a right to be mad and these cancellations are unprofessional and reflect badly on her and her team, not many other artists in recent times can relate to this meteroic rise to fame, and she clearly doesn't have a good enough team or support network in place - e.g a PR/Social media team. If she wants fame, she will need to agree to some media training and taking a step back on managing her socials. 

I truly hope she takes a long break, employs a solid team behind her, stays off socials, gets her mental health back on track, and returns when she feels truly ready. Chappell is such a bright talent who has so much more to bring to the table - my heart breaks thinking about her career being cut short. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.