• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swissman

• Communion

• Sheep

• Josh

12 hours ago, ElleDriver said:

I'm convinced the vitriol Chappell gets from atrl [gays] s because she's a lesbian 

People are going to deny it but this is a part of it. When she started blowing up, there was a reactionary confusion on ATRL and stan twitter cause her career up until that point was largely catching a following amongst other queer women her age. It being largely elderly millennial cis gay men dismissive of the initial online reaction to her TDC, then stanning her largely due to being massively successful out of nowhere ("Katy's daughter!!! Gaga's impact!!!"), and yet now being the very ones angry at her that they can't yell at a woman over the issues of abortion (that she will innately understand better than they could) as a cudgel in support of a conservative Democratic politician they're living a similar parasocial relationship through.

It's genuinely baffling how radicalized every shade of right-winger from liberal to conservative has become. 

The same user who I saw posted about Super Ultra Graphic Modern Girl being great months ago and thus why I gave it a listen is now in here laughing at her for being bipolar. :rip:

Edited by Communion
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

38 minutes ago, Communion said:

The way there'd be pages of sympathy if it was some skinny young cis gay man getting this kind of hatred for simply battling with his mental health, meanwhile there's just... vitriol and resentment? :rip:

We both know that isn't true. ATRL loves to rake gay celebrities over the coals.

The issue people are having with her is that she's making moves to further increase her fame while constantly complaining about being famous. She's overextending herself, and the fans are the ones who get effed over.

Edited by The7thStranger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everything I've learned about this woman these past few weeks are against my will. I haven't even watched the recent videos discussing politics but saw the headlines. Clearly she's not well. I hope she finds a balance between fame and personal life because she truly is an extraordinary talent. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, swissman said:

Does this not suggest that no one but those who are famous understand what fame is like? Thus judging her for her own experience is a bit unfair if not totally ignorant to what she's dealing with (alongside her severe depression and bipolar disorder? People can have goals that once reached are not what they thought. And realizing this does not mean you should or must automatically quit, at least not before at least trying to make it work for you.

I don't follow this girl and only hear about her online, still never listened to a song but I find it odd how so many people know all about her medical diagnosis. With the way her supporters are using it to dismiss very real criticisms about her unprofessionalism, it reads as a crutch/excuse. 

Most people who actively seek out stardom have followed some artist at one point and have heard some of these same sentiments about fame. You and I both being Beyonce fans have heard he speak on it being a thing since DC4 broke up. The saying, " the show must go on", in show business has not and will not change. 

Artists like her and Tyla received inorganic pushes and are showing just how not built for this they are. But they both fan the flames and that is why they are so negatively perceived.

• Like 1

I think ticket-holders have every right to be pissed off — especially those who've paid for flights and accomodation — however I don't think anyone else should be having these visceral reactions and emotional outbursts over it.

I'm seeing people on Twitter and TikTok "joining the discourse" and having "very strong opinions" about it, and I'm like…you don't even have tickets? You're not even in America?

Like yeah, that must suck for people who had tickets, but I'm not going to spend my weekend getting riled up and arguing strangers over it.

I think this is one of those moments in stan culture where people need to sit back and realise this doesn't actually affect them.

Edited by Rihinvention
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Communion said:

People are going to deny it but this is a part of it. When she started blowing up, there was a reactionary confusion on ATRL and stan twitter cause her career up until that point was largely catching a following amongst other queer women her age. It being largely elderly millennial cis gay men dismissive of the initial online reaction to her TDC, then stanning her largely due to being massively successful out of nowhere ("Katy's daughter!!! Gaga's impact!!!"), and yet now being the very ones angry at her that they can't yell at a woman over the issues of abortion (that she will innately understand better than they could) as a cudgel in support of a conservative Democratic politician they're living a similar parasocial relationship through.

It's genuinely baffling how radicalized every shade of right-winger from liberal to conservative has become. 

Sorry but at some point we have to put on our thinking caps and reflect on why somebody feels a certain way that we don't agree with instead of trying to make every disagreement about morality politics. A mainly homosexual forum having an issue with homosexuals is one of the most moronic leaps in logic I have ever seen on this website. Not even calling it internalized, not calling it respectability politics, just straight up homophobic gay accusations is crazy speak. Pretending the pink pony club drag queen Chappell Roan doesn't appeal at all to male gays is similarly (but less) insane.

Using a backwards lunatic comment that nobody agreed with as a spring board to make a few sets being cancelled last minute into a leftists vs liberals issue is also ludicrous. Calling anybody left of center a radicalized right winger because they are being toxic towards women on a website with a culture of being toxic towards women that you also have an account on and choose to engage with in any way, is also again, ludicrous.

Let's set aside the I'm chronically online and need everything to be political discourse glasses and try using our common sense goggles: Chappell is immensely talented and interesting in an era with very few pop stars who can claim to be either of this things let alone both. Chappell exploded into superstardom with a popular narrative about relentlessly pursuing this career even after failure. Chappell also had the image of being relatable and less out of touch than her peers. She is now sitting atop her overnight millionaire ivory tower refusing to back our only hope to fend off fascism in the US for another 4 years because Kamala is a terrible choice(when the alternative is shutting down the education system, national menstrual cycle tracking, the total recall of all modern advancements in LGBT rights, and cancelling further elections), so there goes the more in touch with reality appeal. She's also lost the underdog hype because she's now the biggest pop non-Disney pop girl to pop up since Billie. She is also constantly complaining about the downsides of fame, something almost nobody can relate to, in a way that at times, has come off as spiteful to innocent fans. Again this is after the myth about wanting this job so bad putting a lot of wind in her sails. So a lot of the relatability and likeability are now missing too. A lot of the things people initially liked Chappell for have faded at best or are completely the opposite of reality now at worst.

She is a great artist and I'm looking forward to what she does in the future but it's not exactly difficult to see why people have issues with her. Almost everything she speaks on is alienating to her fans and every new episode compounds the previous ones and sours more people's opinions. If she got some basic PR help the hate train would vanish overnight; and if she doesn't want to deal with things like publicity and security concerns then there are plenty of music careers that don't involve courting fame and with her skillset and resume she could stick a landing into basically any of them. You don't sign multiple record deals and perform at the VMAs because you want to live a humble life playing small gigs for low pay. Being a pop star and being a musician are different things, if she doesn't want to be a pop star then she has the power to stop being one. A lot of the friction she's currently experiencing is prospective fans feeling burned by her frankly insufferable antics. It has fuckall to do where they stand politically(except for the handful of trump supporters on this website I guess). I could just as easily say as a leftist that her incessant attempts at siphoning wealth from the working class through ticket sales and booking fees were insulting enough before she didn't even deliver the final product, but that would be pulling something out of my ass to pat myself on the back.

Edited by Sheep
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 9
  • Thumbs Down 1

20 minutes ago, Sheep said:

A mainly homosexual forum having an issue with homosexuals is one of the most moronic leaps in logic

"Gay men can't hate gay women" amounts to saying gay men can't be misogynistic.

No one said the gay men being vicious towards her hate her cause she is gay. They hate her cause she's a woman. They simply also resent her lesbianism, viewing it as nothing of offer to them. That gay solidarity doesn't at the end day usurp misogyny. 

Lady Gaga called out Obama for endorsing homophobia a month before the 2010 midterms. She intentionally made DADT an issue to leverage against Obama, hoping negative press and criticism would force Democrats at large to budge on the issue and not let defectors fail to pass its repeal in Congress. Why does DADT warrant kicking up a fuss but genocide does not warrant unenthusiastic support?

This parasocial relationship liberals have developed towards a female politician who spent her career locking up trans women, throwing the full force of the law down on sex workers, and acting as a conservative police force has no material justification to it. Period. It shows partisanship as an inherently reactionary worldview.

You* can't have more anger and heat for what you perceive as the "harm" of a pop singer complaining or "not being cut out for fame" than you have for the 2nd most powerful politician in the world advocating for separating undocumented children from their parents or the continued funding of genocide. Kamala Harris is literally responsible for the deaths of countless even in her limited political career thus far. You* cannot hate Chappell Roan more than you hate her. :rip:

*- Speaking in the general sense, and that of course people can just not like her outside of politics. But people can't make politics part of why they dislike her and think they come out of it looking correct while defending the realities of the kinds of right-wing policies Harris supports. 

Edited by Communion

13 hours ago, ElleDriver said:

I'm convinced the vitriol Chappell gets from atrl f-@gz is because she's a lesbian therefore she doesn't cater to them therefore they can't vicariously fulfill their sissy fantasies through her :rip:  a bunch of sad nasty old queens 

Girl bye, and take your internalised homophobia with you

No it's just that being a talented songwriter and performer (which Chappell is) doesn't automatically make you a talented public speaker, especially when you get your opinions from TikTok and say dumb stuff like "Democrats are transphobic" and "both sides are the same". Trying to guilt people into not calling out the stuff she says by painting them as homophobic will not work, I fear.

Edited by Jay07

30 minutes ago, Communion said:

"Gay men can't hate gay women" amounts to saying gay men can't be misogynistic.

Pretending the issue is that she's a lesbian when what you mean to say is the issue is that she's a woman is dishonest at best. Obviously this website is a misogynist hellscape.

No one said the gay men being vicious towards her hate her cause she is gay. They hate hate her cause she's a woman. 

The rest of the we hate lesbians post that you conveniently left out of your quote went on to say that the "im gonna keep on dancing down in west hollywood" singer/daughter of sasha colby doesn't appeal to us at all specifically because she's a lesbian. That might not be what you personally think, but it is something that was said and that you did cosign the poster of.

They simply also resent her lesbianism, viewing it as nothing of offer to them. That gay solidarity doesn't at the end day usurp misogyny. 

I have no idea what her lesbianism doesn't offer to me that the straight men and women that we discuss on this website do. If anything the very very queer music she releases is something that makes her much more appealing than those other artists are and was a huge reason that Chappell blew up hard and fast with gays early this year. GLB was more relatable to me personally as a queer person than just about any other MPG single this year and I suspect most gays would agree.

Lady Gaga called out Obama for endorsing homophobia a month before the 2010 midterms. She intentionally made DADT an issue to leverage against Obama, hoping negative press and criticism would force him to budge on the issue. Why does DADT warrant kicking up a fuss but genocide does not warrant unenthusiastic support?

Unenthusiastic support is not what she has given Kamala. She's given Kamala zero support and has chosen to stick her head in the sand and pretend that a vote for Kamala is anything other than a vote against a coup. The way in which she very carefully chose to double down on not supporting Kamala while also saying trans rights is something that left a very poor taste in my mouth personally because only one of them is openly plotting to make the lives of LGBT people worse in the future, and they both have anti-LGBT track records. Her stance is incongruous with itself, let alone the scary reality of this election.

This parasocial relationship liberals have developed towards a female politician who spent her career locking up trans women, throwing the full force of the law down on sex workers, and acting as a conservative police force has no material justification to it. Period. It shows partisanship as an inherently reactionary worldview.

Babes you're whining about liberals while the alternative is going to take away the power the increasingly educated(and left leaning, in turn) population has to build any kind of better future.

The fact that we made it through your first response to me on this and you did not say a single word about the actual topic of this thread proves every point I made about your post I was initially responding to. YOU'RE the one who's picking sides on this because of political biases.

Edited by Sheep
  • Like 3

idc what she does but she's going to eventually stop getting booked bc no one will want to take a chance on her :jonny: 

It's so weird that every one of those posts supposedly defending Chappell ends in some weird anti-Kamala/coconut rant which just tells me certain people don't actually care about her and are just using her as a vessel for their obsessive anti-Democrat hatred and to spew their constant anti-Democrat propaganda and misinformation when that's never what SHE did. How does this even relate to the topic of Chappell cancelling her appearances?

Edited by Jay07
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

49 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

We both know that isn't true. ATRL loves to rake gay celebrities over the coals.

I just think there's nothing that can actually be addressed if someone doesn't accept the basic reality that gay women experience gayness differently than gay men by virtue of being women while being gay. Gay women experience compulsory heterosexuality, for example. Gay men do not experience that same phenomenon by virtue of that gay men cannot experience misogyny, but perpetuate it.

If gay men can be misogynistic, they can be misogynistic towards to lesbians in ways that uniquely target gay women's unique experiences they don't experience.

You just have to look at how ATRL often described her initial fanbase and the way young sapphic female fanbases are often spoken about. 

This doesn't just stop at cis lesbians. You just have to look at the way for years any topic about nonbinary celebs devolved into people making similarly hostile comments about "bisexual AFABs!!!!" and the transphobic + misogynistic insinuation that nearly all nonbinary people are just "cis bi women wanting to be different". That view is long pervasive in this digital space.

8 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Unenthusiastic support is not what she has given Kamala.

She's literally voting for her! lol You know this is weird, right?

10 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

and say dumb stuff like "Democrats are transphobic"

Well. 

• Like 1

I used to like her music but her behaviour has ruined everything for me. She irrutates me so much with her passive agressive attitude and her insufferable TikTok rants. We made the wrong person famous. Even Azealia Banks is more likeable and gives off more positive vibes.

4 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

How does this even relate to the topic of Chappell cancelling her appearances?

*scrolls the first 3 replies*

14 hours ago, Stunnah said:

Double booked a Trump rally I fear 

:rip:

1 hour ago, Communion said:

The way this thread is just proving the reality that most gay men at their core deeply hate gay women?? :redface:

The way there'd be pages of sympathy if it was some skinny young cis gay man getting this kind of hatred for simply battling with his mental health, meanwhile there's just... vitriol and resentment? :rip:

you're down voting all my posts and I've mentioned I'm a black gay woman, and I'm not rich which is why I criticize people like Chappelle and Ethel, there's a lot of women here, what is it with the generalizing? Make valid points 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGKC said:

I feel like she could have just lied and said she has strep or something. 

this, she should study Rihanna and just say she has bronchitis and that this is doctor's order:sistrens:

• Haha 2

She needs to step away and focus on her health.  Cancel upcoming performances for the next two months.  Stop giving interviews, stop doing promo, log off social media.  She doesn't realize how bad these cancellations are making her look.  It's okay at first, but she doesn't seem to be learning from her mistakes.

Edited by Archetype
  • Like 1

Speaking of bad faith propaganda and misinformation, saying that a White House spokesperson supporting "mental healthcare for transgender youth" is code for endorsing conversion therapy has to be one of the most egregious examples I've ever seen.

Edited by Jay07
  • Thanks 7

3 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

Speaking of bad faith propaganda and misinformation, saying that "mental healthcare for transgender youth" is code for "conversion therapy" has to be one of the most egregious examples I've ever seen.

The way they're the one calling others blindly radicalized too :bibliahh:

• Haha 6

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.