Katy Perry shades Ed Sheeran for being a basic betch

IBeMe

16 minutes ago, Spark said:

Katy and Dan Nigro seems so obvious. Hopefully she has drive to fix this mess. 

She has probably. She always has. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yuanyu

• KatyPrismSpirit

• UnusualBoy

• IBeMe

Top Posters In This Topic

The irony is that she would be in a hell of a lot better position if she was serving more Ed Sheeran these days. I miss her simple acoustic sounds like TOY & TOTGA (acoustic). She really needs to channel her debut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Hopefully she comes back with another album next year to do some serious damage control. An acoustic album produced by Dan Nigro was always my dream.

And to be honest, she had good intentions with the music this era, but all of the backlash is entirely self-inflicted due to unethical decisions and the assumption that replicating what worked 13 years ago would also work now. It's just very out of touch.

Yeah, I still can't wrap my head around the fact that someone thought it was a good idea. What she needed at this point in her career was something that was completely unpolarising (in the same way Flowers was), not something that was the most divisive and unpopular decision she ever made in her career :rip:

41 minutes ago, tiagol88 said:

The irony is that this new era would've worked better if she was just carying a guitar and doing stuff like Harley's In Hawaii lmao.

She should have hired Puth :cm:

Shade him! Boys always do the minimum while girls need to put up mega shows to not being dragged.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

in my next life I'm gonna come back as Katy Perry. Me, Dr Luke, a bra and a Logic Pro loop pack

• Haha 1

Ugh... how predictable. 🙄 This whiny 'discourse' was already tired in 2017-18, but in 2024 it's nothing short of pathetic, especially with Ed Sheeran's last two projects completely underperforming and him being widely despised by critics and online music fans alike as the poster boy of 'bland radio pop' - and that was already the case during "Divide" 's overexposure.

Nothing's stopping Katy Perry from shifting to stripped down acoustic performances. In fact, many longtime fans have been wanting her to return to her "One Of The Boys" pop rock roots or even do folkier stuff in the vein of Kacey Musgraves. To this day the MTV Unplugged concert remains one of her best showcases as a performer.

Not to mention that as @KatyPrismSpirit and @Just a Gay on ATRL mentioned, her career would genuinely be in a better place had she gone the Ed Sheeran route rather than trying so hard to serve, for the lack of a better term, 'cVnty hypersexualized pop diva for the gays', which ended up coming off as extremely forced and inauthentic. Katy's strengths have always been her colourful campy concepts and her connection with her audience when performing ballads and more personal songs. It's also worth noting how her time at American Idol built her a strong following of older women - a demographic often ignored in the conversation of pop stars maintaining longevity. This could have been a good opportunity to cultivate that Adult Contemporary audience like P!nk did, but instead she ended up alienating them with this tacky and outdated direction while due to the distasteful optics of returning to Dr. Luke, simultaneously losing many of the gay fans she was so desperately pandering to. Bad decision after bad decision.

On a more general note, I really wish some of these pop girls would be the change they want to see rather than continually using Ed Sheeran as a scapegoat of non-existent 'double standards' for the umpteenth time. Personally, I'd love to see Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande ditching the generic flashy theatrics that simply don't suit them and carry entire shows on their own accompanied by a live band. Both can very much afford it and the demand would be there anyway. There's a reason why Ariana's "The Sweetener Sessions" is comfortably the tour I'd have most wanted to attend from her. I believe that artists should play to their strengths when performing, and even then we know genuinely great spectacle performers like Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Dua Lipa, P!nk, and Kylie Minogue would still have successful and beloved tours if they decided to have a more lowkey and laid-back vibe (case in point, Kylie's iconic "Anti Tour").

Billie Eilish is a great example showing how these so-called 'pressures' only became a thing because nobody bothered to stray from the self-imposed 'norm'. It still shocks me that it took until Billie's breakthrough for someone like Demi Lovato to realize that the generic sexual performance style wasn't the only approach she could take as a pop star.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Well it is true, Ed is a BASIC busker. Underground Experimental Icons, Daphne and Celeste with Max Tundra said so.

Edited by Phaunzie

I mean...she sings and shines the most when she is doing acoustic versions so...

• Thanks 1

eh, Ed is better than her really. Ed has 4 good albums (+, ÷, =, -) and Katy only has 2 (OOTB, TD).

• Like 3

Ed can write catchy music she can't :michael:

• Thumbs Down 1

The way nothing is stopping her from serving 2006 Katy again, only herself :giraffe:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess a lifetime is not enough to punish us with those vocals :rip:

Ok now for real, she's not wrong. People put so much pressure on female performers and male performers do little to no expectations. 

She's right but there was no pressure on her to work with a rapist on a faux deep female empowerment anthem. Can she just come back with more Harleys in Hawaii type music and redeem haself?

• Like 1

• Thanks 1

The way nothing is stopping her from doing just that. Her career would be better off if she had gone back to her guitar roots.

• Thanks 3

Only this fool can make me want to defend Ed Sheeran :deadbanana2:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UnusualBoy said:

Shade him! Boys always do the minimum while girls need to put up mega shows to not being dragged.

Maybe you should ask yourself who demands that from female artists?

12 hours ago, $ebert said:

People put so much pressure on female performers and male performers do little to no expectations. 

There's a whole subgenre of minimalistic female pop artists. Even Billie Eilish has made doing the bare minimum her whole brand. Same for Lana del Rey, Clairo and others. It is the gays and stan Twitter who "put so much pressure" on female artists to overdeliver and be all over the place while the public has shown they just don't care. 

• Like 2

I mean... she's as basic as him... both are flops anyway so I guess they can feud

1 hour ago, Yuanyu said:

Maybe you should ask yourself who demands that from female artists?

Everybody? We're not gonna pretend is just a group who does this thing when it comes from all sides…

Funny enough this is her best performance ever. 

35 minutes ago, UnusualBoy said:

Everybody? We're not gonna pretend is just a group who does this thing when it comes from all sides…

I'm sorry, but it's not like that

At least Ed doesn't overlook rape and men physically/financially/verbally/mentally abusing women. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.