Dancing with The Flames flopping, is The Weeknd on danger?

Safe&Sound

No, the song is just bad. 

And sure he hasn't had a solo hit since Save Your Tears, but something tells me Jennie & Lily Rose Depp weren't the main factor behind One of the Girls smashing, nor do I think Metro Boomin' and 21 Savage were the main factors of Creepin' smashing. I also think he had a large part in Popular smashing, even with Madonna and Playboi Carti on the song. 

This entire era could flop and he would be fine anyways. Those songs all smashed after Dawn FM. He's not damaged goods and so people will come back to him as soon as he gets something that clicks with people. Dancing In The Flames is a very generic, been-there-done-that song for him, it was doomed from the start.

So in a way it's kind of like asking if Taylor Swift was in danger because ME! flopped. We all know how that turned out.

Edited by Relampago.

1 minute ago, Relampago. said:

So in a way it's kind of like asking if Taylor Swift was in danger because ME! flopped. We all know how that turned out.

Not the same situation. Abel's last studio album flopped badly and now lead for his next album is performing badly too. 
Reputation was not a flop, neither was lover. 

• Thumbs Down 2

3 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Not the same situation. Abel's last studio album flopped badly and now lead for his next album is performing badly too. 

Dawn FM underperformed but after that he had HITS, Popular and OTTG :giraffe: not the same situation

• Thanks 1

You all realize he was being lashed when After Hours started because Heartless and Blinding Lights were "flopping?" He'll be fine - he has the label support and the music is radio friendly.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Calvin said:

You intentionally missed the point of that comparison which is probably why you excluded most of my post from your quote.

The comparison is not between eras or the context of their careers, only that a false start lead single that's also an awful song that alienates their core base does not signal the end of a career. 

After Dawn FM came and went, Abel got 3 mega hits (OOTG, Popular, Creepin') all of which got over a billion streams and then a HUGE sleeper hit in Die For You smashing 7 years after its original release. He then became the artist with the most listeners on Spotify and held that title for most of the time since. He has shown he is easily able to not just recover from a false start, but actually re-peak. 

So again, even if this entire album mega bombs, he'll be fine. But Timeless will probably do cute numbers as a safe hit regardless, DITF is simply a horrible lead single.

Edited by Relampago.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The song is downright bad that's why it's flopping. If there is a hit on the album, he will be fine. 

After this, he should never touch disco and synth again. He's been retreading this sound since Beauty Behind the Madness. Enough already.

• Like 1

The problem is that YOUR fandom tries so hard to compare the pop boys career with the pop girls career, why? wdk, but it's your thing 

Pop boys are always like that, they have an underperformance/flops and then get a HIT (which is difficult to get, not everyone can have one) out of nowhere. why? bc their music is more friendly to the gp, they just need the right choice. 

So the answer is NO. :ryan3: 

• Like 2

#Selenavoodoo

No. He's got an arsenal full of payola and fraud tactics he can pull from his previous efforts.

He's like the male dua lipa.

• Confused 1

The fact that the jokes about him needing Ariana for a hit are turning into reality. :deadbanana2: Never thought his lead single would underperform this way even with all the gimmicks like the YT ad :toofunny3:

he has hits and flops 

i dont think this means anything 

this song is another one in the trend of album tracks becoming leads :zzz:

Were we expecting for him to smash again?

6 hours ago, Relampago. said:

The thing that everyone in this thread is ignoring is that even if ME! had horrible reception it had crazy numbers first day(s) cause there was interest in her.

People here saying DITF is doing bad cause the song is bad, when the song didn't even start well...

It debuted with less streams than Heartless :rip:

Mind you Heartless was released on a Wednesday (not usual release day) in 2019 (Spotify was WAY smaller)

There's no interest in him and this is one of the worst songs ever recorded, if he releases a good song I'm sure he can playlist it to success though. 

New single sucked ass, but no, he's not in danger. We're all just waiting for something better from the album. 

7 hours ago, Taylena said:

108M monthly listeners but only 2M are streaming his new song is such a scam. 

No, it means he doesn't have a dedicated, die-hard fanbase and relies heavily on the GP. 

He is in a weird spot for sure because as some have pointed out, yes his latest album underperformed, and the interest in his music was seemingly declining but then out of nowhere came this massive surge of viral hits on tiktok.

But the performance of this single is awfull, and it's a worrying sign of the potential of this era - his sound is getting repetitive and stale. He is very talented and can switch it around but something about this era is giving me Ed Sheeran vibes of just fading seemingly out of nowhere.

15 minutes ago, elincomprendid said:

The thing that everyone in this thread is ignoring is that even if ME! had horrible reception it had crazy numbers first day(s) cause there was interest in her.

People here saying DITF is doing bad cause the song is bad, when the song didn't even start well...

It debuted with less streams than Heartless :rip:

Mind you Heartless was released on a Wednesday (not usual release day) in 2019 (Spotify was WAY smaller)

Would you argue Swifties and Taylor Swift numbers are anywhere near comparable to any artist that debuted in the 21st century even back in 2019? 

Would you argue a lead single after 4 years from the last studio album is comparable to a lead single after 2 years from the last studio album (huge year he had in 2023 aside)? 

Would you argue The Weeknd or any pop boy of his kind has a similar fanbase that operates in the same way pop girls' stan bases do?

Do you believe Call Out My Name not being an instant smash ended Abel's career?

Do you believe Russian Roulette not being a huge smash signaled the end of Rihanna's career?

Do you realize all these questions are beside the point because I already stated that ME! was not a comparison between careers nor eras (mostly because pop boys and pop girls' careers are so drastically different they're not exactly comparable) but rather an example of how a lead single underperforming and basically being an awful song that isn't received well doesn't signal the end of a career? 

I know that Abel being the artist with the most Spotify listeners and having an extremely successful worldwide stadium tour, the biggest song of all time on Spotify and on Billboard, being by far the biggest hit maker of the 2020s really just makes ATRL very upset for some reason, but the truth is his career is more than likely just fine. I know people are praying he's over but that's unlikely even if this album makes 0 noise at all.

I know people say it all the time, but it is very shocking how out of touch ATRL is. It's almost like we should just stop talking about pop boys on here. They don't operate the same as pop girls' careers for a multitude of reasons. A big reason being that the people listening to The Weeknd don't give a **** if he's flopping and aren't success stans like so many pop girl stans. They just want good music and DITF was not that.

Edited by Relampago.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.