Can Katy rebound?

LVP

Inspired by the thread that actually aged badly (Can Beyoncé rebound?)

Katy has 3 flops in a row. Each one is worse than the previous one. 

Is there any hope for her? Is it never really over or just because it's over it's really over?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gladiator

• SweetOreosOfHeaven

• HonourableVomit

• prézli

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

She's going to come out as republican next era and try to get some support from that side

• Haha 3

Even one flop album is hard to rebound from, but Katy now has three, and the most recent one is among the worst rated in pop history. The only way she'll ever have a moderate hit is if she does a song with Ariana or Taylor, but good luck booking that collab :toofunny2:

She needs to stop focusing so much on what will be the most commercially successful output.

She's attempted twice. In an attempt for another commercial success, she pivoted from the most experimental attempt she's released with Witness by returning to her signature sounds. When Smile did not make for a commercial success, she returned to the producer who helped produce the most commercially successful music she has released.

She is too deep into her career to be hyper-fixating on what will give her the most radio hits, especially with the radio hits she has now being enough for her to retire from radio hits for life. I think she can rebound, but only if she stops focusing on repeating the success of Teenage Dream and Prism -- and recreating and rehashing those sounds. Beyond those who were involved in creating it, she also had the momentum of the media and pop culture at the time in her favor.

I do think this era will ultimately do a lot of harm and will take a while to recover from, especially since the media is very much against her now, so whatever attempt at rebound will probably be panned by popheads because it won't live up to expectations for how successful a rebound should be.

Edited by Gladiator
  • Like 9

The odds of surviving three flop albums in a row is really slim. At this point she should just try to make something that comes from an authentic place and hope it's received well. One of the downfalls of 143 was that she unsuccessfuly tried to recapture chart success instead of just making good music

I would love to see Katy return to the sounds of her really early work like I Kissed a Girl. Self aware humor and legendary bridges used to be trademarks of her success and that was totally absent in 143

Edited by 4th Time Around
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

She is too deep into her career to be hyper-fixating on what will give her the most radio hits, especially with the radio hits she has now being enough for her to retire from radio hits for life.

Except for the fact that she sold her back catalogue rights away already. So those hits won't benefit her anymore. She honestly should retire and become a reality show judge fulltime now. :khalyan:

• Thanks 1

Smile kinda has big pop songs on it that could age well, hence her performing half the album at her Rock In Rio show. :rip: Harleys & NRO saved its overall streaming numbers, but some of her other songs on there could be GP pleasers too if she wasn't such an off-putting personality with vacuum charisma and terrible political standing. 

Probably, it only takes one song to really catch on to get folks on board again, but tbh its really up to her to dig deep and work with folks who will challenge her to reinvent.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HonourableVomit said:

Smile kinda has big pop songs on it that could age well, hence her performing half the album at her Rock In Rio show. :rip: Harleys & NRO saved its overall streaming numbers, but some of her other songs on there could be GP pleasers too if she wasn't such an off-putting personality with vacuum charisma and terrible political standing. 

Smile is a better album than some people give it credit for, it is really inconsistent but there are some real standouts. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rep2000 said:

Except for the fact that she sold her back catalogue rights away already. So those hits won't benefit her anymore. She honestly should retire and become a reality show judge fulltime now. :khalyan:

What a stupid *****. :deadbanana2:

I fear I will need more than 7 business days to figure out a way to spin this to why that was a great decision.

Edited by Gladiator

No. It was no in 2017, no in 2020, no in 2024. What more do yall need to be certain her mainstream pop career is done? :rip: 

• Like 1

Ever since the release of Woman's World I felt like it was impossible. This catastrophic album release just seals the deal. She will never have commercial success again (at most, a fluke collaboration, or some viral old track).

However she could regain some dignity by sincerely showing remorse for the Dr. Puke collaboration and eventually releasing a good project that is not pandering to charts. Doubt any of those will happen. I feel bad for her fans. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

I fear I will need more than 7 business days to figure out a way to spin this to why that was a great decision.

Considering what's going down now it probably was the only good decision she's made in her music career in almost a decade. The value of her catalogue was probably at it's peak then - especially considering the gargantuan career death PR disaster she's in right now. 

• Thanks 4

I really don't think so, there's no coming back from this 143 fiasco and she cannot really re-invent herself (also she just doesn't sound good at all unfortunately) 

However she is a star she can do oher things like Idol or so

14 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

Something something she's an unbothered millionaire, something something this is a capitalist's world and we are lucky to live in it :ryan3:

• Haha 3

Absolutely not but she should keep milking her catalog

no

she will NEVER have a successful album again. maybe she has a chance on getting a cute hit but album? her music is too trash for that

4 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

Omg this is so true. She saw the writing on the wall and did what was best for the long term. 

This is also why she decided to work with Dr. Luke.

She is pushing him out of the industry by sacrificing herself. She knows that this sacrifice is only temporary, and she will be back. 

Lifetimes is not a message to Daisy like she said, but a message to the industry. She will find her way back in the next life of her career, reborn.

She was sending us a message. She is not a butterfly. She is a phoenix. She knew the only way to get him out of the industry and release so many people from his contracts was only something she could do, as his most high profile collaborator.

She released Woman's World not as an anthem, but as a threat, to Mr. Luke. Gottwald. Its a woman's world, and he is lucky to be living in it. She said it herself: Sexy, confident. So intelligent. She is heaven-sent. So soft, so strong. She's a winner, champion

Now he knows. He is a panned flop commercially now, as well as critically. He will never work again. In a years time, we will thank her. And she will have a collab released with Kesha.

:clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3:

@Pikachoo would love to hear your thoughts on this very interesting theory

5 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

Omg this is so true. She saw the writing on the wall and did what was best for the long term. 

This is also why she decided to work with Dr. Luke.

She is pushing him out of the industry by sacrificing herself. She knows that this sacrifice is only temporary, and she will be back. 

Lifetimes is not a message to Daisy like she said, but a message to the industry. She will find her way back in the next life of her career, reborn.

She was sending us a message. She is not a butterfly. She is a phoenix. She knew the only way to get him out of the industry and release so many people from his contracts was only something she could do, as his most high profile collaborator.

She released Woman's World not as an anthem, but as a threat, to Mr. Luke. Gottwald. Its a woman's world, and he is lucky to be living in it. She said it herself: Sexy, confident. So intelligent. She is heaven-sent. So soft, so strong. She's a winner, champion

Now he knows. He is a panned flop commercially now, as well as critically. He will never work again. In a years time, we will thank her. And she will have a collab released with Kesha.

:clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3:

wait.... I see the vision 

jaxxtic-adele.png 

• Like 1

It's over for Katy.

Tbh as much as I love Katy the Popstar I had the same issue with PF3 though there are songs that speak to motherhood and that journey. I think both albums should've taken an even more approach. Most of us started listening to them in our teens and 20s and more of us are in our 30s are mid 20s. Songs about retrospect, motherhood, mistakes etc. I think music with more naunced concepts amd themes would actually serve legendary acts more considering their age. Like Nicki DELIVERED that with PP and somewhat Katy did that on songs like By The Grace Of God, Thinking Of You, Witness and Daisy. 

I hope Gaga kinda delivers a more mature album in some capacity. I'm not saying abandon what made you relevant, but age with your music yk. 

• Like 3

No. 

Good riddance to her stale, dated, soulless brand of pop music.

branden-miller-joanne-the-scammer.gif

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.