Gwen Stefani on previous one-off singles "It just never landed"

jhmacal

In a new interview for Rolling Stone:

spacer.png

"Purple Irises" also liberated Stefani from a creative rut, one where she found herself attempting to "compete a little bit with my past and going backwards" — alluding to one-off singles like "Slow Clap" and "Let Me Reintroduce Myself" — which, along with "life being so crazy busy and the pandemic," was responsible for the long wait between albums.

"It felt like I was repeating myself a lot," Stefani said of the false starts. "It just never landed, and it didn't even inspire me, so at a certain point I just wrote a song called 'Purple Irises,' and it felt like, 'I'm on now.' I felt like I'm in the zone, this is it."

(We're glad she recognizes that and moved on)

She also confirms the album is not country at all:

The new single isn't the only thing deceptive about Bouquet: Despite the cowboy hat on the cover, and the fact that the album was recorded in Nashville by an A-list producer (Scott Hendricks) with an all-star band of Music Row musicians, Stefani is insistent that she has not gone country. "It's not a country record," she says.

Instead, Bouquet is packed with Seventies pop-rock radio gems, channeled through the prism of Nashville, but still authentically Gwen. "It's all the stuff I listened to in the station wagon on the way to church," Stefani says of the album. "Yacht rock, though it wasn't called yacht rock then. The music I listen to now, I wanted this album to reflect that."

Full interview: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/gwen-stefani-new-song-somebody-elses-bouquet-interview-1235107260/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I actually liked Let Me Reintroduce Myself and its MV especially.

But releasing music that doesn't excite you is a bad idea. JoJo has talked about this a lot on her book and recent interviews.

Props to her for doing what she likes and liberating herself from the opinions and expectations of other people.

Edited by ChooseyLover
  • Like 2

If she talking about Baby Don't Lie? Cos it might nota clicked with the gp but it was a bangaaa :katie2:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jhmacal said:

"It's all the stuff I listened to in the station wagon on the way to church," Stefani says of the album.

This is sending me :rip:

Slow Clap was ridiculous and True Babe was weak, but LMRM was cute.

6 minutes ago, freshoutthebuffet said:

If she talking about Baby Don't Lie? Cos it might nota clicked with the gp but it was a bangaaa :katie2:

Couldn't agree more. It should've been a hit. We failed her :jonnycat:

Gwen's catalog up until The Sweet Escape and even Push & Shove was great. She completely lost me when she started dropping new solo music after the No Doubt reunion because nothing ever stacked up to her past music except for some cute moments here and there like LMRM.

47 minutes ago, freshoutthebuffet said:

she's referring to the most recent ones (slow clap and LMRM), she loves baby don't lie and has it on her setlist of every concert she's played in the last few years... BDL was on the way to becoming a decent hit (was doing well on radio) when she killed it to release Spark the Fire

glad to hear she's inspired again, and it's a pretty honest claim for an artist of her stature to say they're still figuring stuff out creatively despite what the output prior was

This won't "land" either. And why is she talking about "inspiration" when she's releasing country music just because it's popular right now and her husband told her to. 

Since she joined The Voice she lost herself never to be found again. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Elementary said:

This won't "land" either. And why is she talking about "inspiration" when she's releasing country music just because it's popular right now and her husband told her to. 

She prefers to be a corny country artist ever since she got with Blake Shelton. She lost her creative edge

22 minutes ago, Elementary said:

17 minutes ago, Josh said:

She prefers to be a corny country artist ever since she got with Blake Shelton. She lost her creative edge

here's a mindblowing thought - maybe you're just up your own asses wanting her to release the music YOU liked from her and have never known her at all? 

diehard fans know she's the happiest she's ever been in her life and that's really all that matters.

she's a legacy artist with nothing to prove, she gets to do whatever the hell SHE wants now and this is it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, boysandbombs said:

here's a mindblowing thought - maybe you're just up your own asses wanting her to release the music YOU liked from her and have never known her at all? 

diehard fans know she's the happiest she's ever been in her life and that's really all that matters.

she's a legacy artist with nothing to prove, she gets to do whatever the hell SHE wants now and this is it.

I'm assuming you know her personally to claim she's the "happiest she's ever been in her life". Following your own logic.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, boysandbombs said:

4 minutes ago, Elementary said:

I'm assuming you know her personally to claim she's the "happiest she's ever been in her life". Following your own logic.

she's literally said it for years now - it's the entire concept behind this album. this song is the mad dark spot that the love and light that the rest of the album can grow from, she JUST said so in the Rolling Stone review that this thread is based on.  A+ for comprehension, Josh.

1 hour ago, Elementary said:

24 minutes ago, boysandbombs said:

she's literally said it for years now - it's the entire concept behind this album. this song is the mad dark spot that the love and light that the rest of the album can grow from, she JUST said so in the Rolling Stone review that this thread is based on.  A+ for comprehension, Josh.

The point of the interview is that it landed already, creatively speaking. It's the music that feels right for her right now, and it might have some country influence but it's still signature Gwen especially lyrically (and mainly yacht-rock).

I'm glad she recognized that she was repeating herself. I like the new songs and I respect her trying something different. LAMB remains one of the best pop albums. 

Baby Don't Lie and Let Me Reintroduce Myself are still her best droplet singles! :jonnycat:

Spark the Fire and Slow Clap... well....

This song still slaps. Deserved better.

Housewife domination era incoming. Hold onto your vacuum cleaners!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.