IGN: Inside Out 2 staff suffered crunch, layoffs, & were told to avoid LGBTQ+ themes

_Fey

https://www.ign.com/articles/inside-out-2-was-the-hit-pixar-needed-but-the-laid-off-employees-who-crunched-on-it-are-still-hurting?utm_source=threads,twitter

"I think for a month or two, the animators were working seven days a week," one source says. "Ridiculous amounts of production workers, just people being tossed into jobs they'd never really done before… It was horrendous."

IGN spoke to 10 former Pixar employees for this story under the condition of anonymity. They go into detail about the pains of the layoffs, the financial struggles those layoffs have left them with, and the details behind what one source calls "the largest crunch in the studio's history." It's a claim disputed by a senior executive at Pixar, who tells IGN that the crunch at the end of Inside Out 2 was no different from those on many other films from the studio. But the fact remains: there are many who feel like they rushed to give Pixar the hit it so desperately needed, and were hung out to dry.

"I would venture that at least 95% of the people that got laid off are financially f*cked right now," one person says.

Outside of the financial strain of it all, sources also paint a picture of a studio that's terrified to rock the boat, with some internally pushing to avoid LGBTQ themes, requiring edits to Inside Out 2. It's a studio, they say, that's overly reliant on Chief Creative Officer Pete Docter, stubbornly set in its ways, and setting its remaining team up for more crunch in its future films.

"The internal culture of Pixar right now is really rough," one former employee says. "There is just an incredible amount of people who are like, 'I can't do this anymore.' "

Disney declined to comment for this story.

Crazy how netflix is the only studio that treats western animators decently

• Like 1

"According to sources at IGN, Disney executives blamed the losses of Lightyear (and likely strange world) on the gay relationship in the film, and Rylie's character was retooled to make her "less gay" in the final version of inside out 2."

When ATLRers were siding with conservatives boycotting Lightyear, Strange World... 

and says we don't need big corps to pander to LGBT+ communities with animations...

Now they say We Won't

Edited by aadrl1

And all of this sh*tty work environment they suffered, I highly doubt that these workers even get 5% from the revenue on those billion dollars in the box office :doc:

"Some internally pushing to avoid LGBTQ themes.." Alex Hirsch you will always be famous!

GXnEMsAWAAESYct?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by Mr. Blue_Shirt
  • Like 4

Not surprised about the LGTB+ thing. The outrage caused by that almost undetectable kiss in the Lightyear movie has probably ruined it all and it's gonna take a while to see lgtb representation again in big animated movies. And it's not like Pixar or any of these big studios truly care about it. 

• Like 8

Disney is such a greedy company, I feel really awful for the animators. All that money it made and they receive nothing.

• Like 1

The same company that gives 2 million to keep funding bombing & also getting a IDF soldier to debut a superhero that equally as terrible as her isn't progressive as much as they seem?

judge-shocked.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I need Disney to crumble, like NOW.

• Like 1

Congrats on the Oscar for Best Animated Feature, The Wild Robot :clap3: 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Smarticle said:

This the billion dollar movie yall were supporting?

We watched it on fmovies so no :clap:

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Kylizzle said:

Would Inside Out 2 still have made 1.6 billion with an LGBT related controversy?

It's not queer people's fault that Disney is being run by money hungry right-wing youtube grifters that produces videos with titles like "LIGHTYEAR WOKE? GAY FILM FLOPS DISASTROUSLY"

:toofunny3:

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Blue Monday said:

Insanely sad to see how Pixar has gone from being the pinnacle of animation to such a dumpster fire 

I mean it lowkey already was with John "the groper" Lasseter, now it's just more public 

That explains why their latest movies suck :rainbow:

Not surprised (but disappointed) that Disney is supporting LGBT+ erasure. They have to appease US conservatives, China and the Middle East I guess.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

It's not queer people's fault that Disney is being run by money hungry right-wing youtube grifters that produces videos with titles like "LIGHTYEAR WOKE? GAY FILM FLOPS DISASTROUSLY"

:toofunny3:

How does that answer the question sis. Disney had LGBT characters in several recent entries and they flopped for the most part. They needed this one to be as bland as possible to maximize profit and achieved their goal, idk why anyone is shocked by that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kylizzle said:

How does that answer the question sis. Disney had LGBT characters in several recent entries and they flopped for the most part. They needed this one to be as bland as possible to maximize profit and achieved their goal, idk why anyone is shocked by that.

Yes, that's true and it's very sad. It's sad how much people hate us.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Sugar-Rush said:

Not surprised (but disappointed) that Disney is supporting LGBT+ erasure. They have to appease US conservatives, China and the Middle East I guess.

Its always been about money. They dabbled in LGBTQ themes and when they saw the backlash they retreated back to their bland mass majority themes of resilience and magic. The sheep love that. 

• Like 1

The way they killed Nimona (luckily saved by another studio) and then tried to turn around and serve us that absolute slop Strange World. :rip:

Maybe a divisive hot take, but I really prefer when Disney's queerness is subtext / implied rather than an overt element of the character / story. Elsa and Luca are not "openly gay" characters, but they and their stories are very easy to interpret as queer for those of us who'd like to see them that way. It's probably better for Disney that way (they avoid riling up right wingers) and I think it results in stronger, more complex characters and films. :michael:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.