Geoguessr World Cup: 200k+ Concurrent Viewers. Surprised?

mercurialworld

The GeoGuessr World Cup 2024, held from September 11 to 14 at Stockholm City Hall in Sweden, showcased 24 of the world's top players competing for a $50,000 prize pool. The event culminated in a thrilling final that attracted up to 200,000 live viewers, marking a significant milestone in the game's esports history.

GeoGuessr is an online geography game that immerses players in a virtual exploration of the world. Utilizing Google Street View imagery, the game places participants in a random location on the map, tasking them with navigating their surroundings to make the best possible guess about their current position. The success of the GeoGuessr World Cup 2024 underscores the growing popularity of geography-based esports and sets a promising precedent for future events in the genre.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ii1025hx9oobar4kf0j

Have you ever played Geoguessr? Are you surprised so many people decided to tune in? Wanna try it out?

• Like 2

I used to play (and love) it like every day a few years ago, then they put literally everything under a subscription. It's a very clever and entertaining game so it's no surprise people are tuning in. I used to screenshot the places it sent me to bc it truly did feel like exploring the world sometimes

Edited by GentleEarthquake
  • Like 5

I had no idea about this before watching Rainbolt's videos.  At first I thought it had to be fake, like how tf can someone literally memorize the entire word like that. It's honestly one of the craziest and most impressive things I've ever seen. I hope it becomes more mainstream.

• Like 2

I love geography so sure 

someone almost got a perfect score in the free game i linked above :clap3: FccDlY3.png

10 hours ago, GentleEarthquake said:

I used to play (and love) it like every day a few years ago, then they put literally everything under a subscription. It's a very clever and entertaining game so it's no surprise people are tuning in. I used to screenshot the places it sent me to bc it truly did feel like exploring the world sometimes

Same sis, up until they got rid of the ability to play for free and since then I play Geotastic :gaynetcat4:

• Like 1

I love this game but It's lame that you a subscription to play, I know it's because of Google tho

I don't play the game, but I accidentally got a youtube recommendation for a regional tournament a few months ago, and I basically instantly got hooked on watching it. I watched all of the regionals and now the world cup, it's always so much fun and so hype to watch.

It's definitely very impressive how they manage to memorize so much information to be able to recognize various locations. Some even learn new scripts and languages to be able to read signs. I also love watching the videos Zi8gzag, Rainbolt and others put out. The overall community seems really cool.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.