Joker 2 to open with 35M+ in the US & 70M+ OS: a catastrophic flop

Lil' Oz

15 minutes ago, shark_heather said:

I wonder how is this possible 

JOKER was a massive movie , i was expecting the sequel to do double 

Is the promotional not on point or what 

It makes sense no one wanted a sequel especially not a musical one :redface: the first one can stand on its own

this is low key a spinoff 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Assassin

• bjorn

• V$.

• Lil' Oz

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Punky Rooster said:

Poor Joaquin. What franchise is she going to ruin next? :lakitu:

She was the aspect of the movie that got most of the praise and critics complained she should have had more screen time. She is not the problem here and will remain unscathed regardless of the films commercial performance 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Well at least she'll have more time to focus on her music career now, phew. Just give us the bops and stop chasing Oscars, Stefania :jonny:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kylizzle said:

The Marvels predicted opening: $70 - 80M https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/the-marvels-box-office-tracking-1235622799/

Actual opening: $47M 

The Flash predicted opening: $70M https://variety.com/2023/film/box-office/the-flash-elemental-box-office-battle-1235642293/

Actual opening: $55M 

Joker 2 predicted opening: $70M

Actual opening: ? 

:suburban:

20 minutes ago, Kylizzle said:

The Marvels predicted opening: $70 - 80M https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/the-marvels-box-office-tracking-1235622799/

Actual opening: $47M 

The Flash predicted opening: $70M https://variety.com/2023/film/box-office/the-flash-elemental-box-office-battle-1235642293/

Actual opening: $55M 

Joker 2 predicted opening: $70M

Actual opening: ? 

:suburban:

1 minute ago, 4th Time Around said:

She was the aspect of the movie that got most of the praise and critics complained she should have had more screen time. She is not the problem here and will remain unscathed regardless of the films commercial performance 

Unscathed by the DC fandom and audience though? Already see her being blamed for it being a musical which is not good for her. Its not easy to navigate franchises that have a large amount of incels in the fandom (Marvel, DC, Star Wars, etc) and they always seem to control the online narrative once they decide to hate something. 

Its good to be underestimated.

29 minutes ago, Mitsouko said:

How does a highly anticipated Venice-debuting Gaga-starring sequel open lower than the original's first weekend?

Because they turned a dark drama into a  "dark musical" for some reason 

• Like 1

This will probably do decently but won't be nearly as big as the first one, maybe 600 mill when it's sad and done?

6 minutes ago, nostalgic said:

Well at least she'll have more time to focus on her music career now, phew. Just give us the bops and stop chasing Oscars, Stefania :jonny:

Tbh Gaga hasn't done anything interesting musically for me since Artpop. She's much more compelling as an actress at this point in her career.  

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 3

Real numbers come on sunday :khalyan:

Edited by Spooky Mulder

4 minutes ago, Paultea said:

Unscathed by the DC fandom and audience though? Already see her being blamed for it being a musical which is not good for her. Its not easy to navigate franchises that have a large amount of incels in the fandom (Marvel, DC, Star Wars, etc) and they always seem to control the online narrative once they decide to hate something. 

Ok what's your point? Since when does her film career depend on the goodwill of an incel audience? Over at the Oscars and Movies subreddits which represent a more general opinion, I dont see anybody blaming her for anything 

Edited by 4th Time Around
  • Like 2

I was going to get tickets for this but then I found out gaga is hardly in the film :rip:

4 minutes ago, UnusualBoy said:

This will probably do decently but won't be nearly as big as the first one, maybe 600 mill when it's sad and done?

Won't do over 500M 

id say 400M worldwide 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

The sequel was obviously never gonna do better than the original idk what people expected 

This spin. Most sequels are expected to do better than the originals. E

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Navyboy20 said:

Tbh Gaga hasn't done anything interesting musically for me since Artpop. She's much more compelling as an actress at this point in her career.  

Well it's your lucky day then because LG7 is going to be a return to Born This Way/ARTPOP sounds with an additional dark twist. The snippets so far seem like stuff ATRL will eat up

I have always wished Gaga the best in her film career but I totally disagree that she is more interesting as an actress because I never cared about that to begin with.

• Like 1

So much for this surpassing Deadpool and Wolverine as the top grossing r rated movie.

• Haha 5

I'm not buying advanced tickets but I'm seeing it and probably seeing it opening weekend. I'm excited to see Gaga in it, I wouldn't be going if she wasn't in it. I didn't see the first one.

22 minutes ago, 4th Time Around said:

Madonna has never had a successful film career, unlike Gaga. Nor has Madonna's acting been well received by critics, unlike Gaga

Madonna starred in 2 culturally relevant 80s films which are preserved in the National Film Registry. Nobody will remember the 6th remake of A Star Is Born

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 10
  • Thumbs Down 6

3 minutes ago, JustHoran said:

I'm not buying advanced tickets but I'm seeing it and probably seeing it opening weekend. I'm excited to see Gaga in it, I wouldn't be going if she wasn't in it. I didn't see the first one.

I thought the first one was incredibly overrated, never understood the hype. Like you, Gaga is the only reason I plan to see this one

don't tell Kukai 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 4th Time Around said:

Ok what's your point? Since when does her film career depend on the goodwill of an incel audience? Over at the Oscars and Movies subreddits which represent a more general opinion, I dont see anybody blaming her for anything 

Whether we like it or not, they are part of that fandom and are a big reason the first one made so much money. I don't think her whole acting career depends on them, but this movie unfortunately might. As soon as it was announced she took the part I was already not looking forward to whatever they might think. Then when it was announced as a musical, I really got nervous.

Also the awards people in general are really cynical whenever I see her discussed. They think all she really cares about when acting is awards and specifically Oscar prospects. That turns industry people off. 

• Like 1

If only the first one had tanked like this. :sadviolin:

• Like 2

This was a budget of 200 million…. 70 million is going be UGLY if true….

The @Kukai voodoo Strikes again!! :giraffe:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.