Oscar winning legend Kathy Bates announces retirement, CBS' "Matlock" is final role

jakeisphat

Kathy Bates was ready to quit. A movie shoot had soured (no, she won't specify the movie) and she found herself alone, on her sofa in Los Angeles, sobbing. Bates, who won an Oscar for "Misery" and Emmys for "American Horror Story" and "Two and a Half Men," has always taken her work to heart in an all-consuming way.

. . .

"It becomes my life," she said. "Sometimes I get jealous of having this talent. Because I can't hold it back, and I just want my life." She had given herself over to this part, and the gift had been ignored. The next day, she called her agents and told them she wanted to retire.

A few weeks later, in January of this year, her agents sent her a script. It was for a procedural, which she hadn't been looking for, and it was a reboot of a series that hadn't especially moved her the first time: "Matlock," a drama about a folksy attorney with a virtuosic legal mind and a wardrobe of seersucker suits. It endures in the cultural memory mostly as a punchline about shows old people like to watch.

. . .

This show, she said, will be her final one. "This is my last dance."

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/08/arts/television/matlock-kathy-bates.html

• Thanks 1

:cries: I understand her wanting to relax and enjoy the fruits of her hard work, but she will be missed. She's one of the greatest to ever do it! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is so sad.  :cries: Just like when Daniel Day-Lewis retired.

Good for her. We can cherish her catalog and performances for years and years. :clap3:

• Like 1

She has created an amazing filmography. Her work will be greatly appreciated for years/decades to come. I wonder what drama is she talking about? Was a director or another cast member that made her cry? 

• Like 1

I want to know who made this LEGEND sob?? :angry:

I hope she finds creative fulfilment with Matlock and gives us 10 seasons of an iconic performance! 

edit: woops posted in wrong thread

Edited by BionicWooHoo

59 minutes ago, Happylittlepunk said:

Was a director or another cast member that made her cry?

49 minutes ago, SoldierofLove said:

I want to know who made this LEGEND sob?? :angry:

I think the article is mistaken when it says she learned about Matlock in January of this year. Prior reports show it was actually January 2023 when she signed on to Matlock and that filming got pushed back due to the strikes. 

The only movie she finished filming weeks before January 2023 was Netflix's A Family Affair with Nicole Kidman and Zac Efron… so my guess is that she's talking about that movie. She was also the only member of the cast to not attend the premiere…

Edited by jakeisphat
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jakeisphat said:

I think the article is mistaken when it says she learned about Matlock in January of this year. Prior reports show it was actually January 2023 when she signed on to Matlock and that filming got pushed back due to the strikes. 

The only movie she finished filming weeks before January 2023 was Netflix's A Family Affair with Nicole Kidman and Zac Efron… so my guess is that she's talking about that movie. She was also the only member of the cast to not attend the premiere…

Shame on Nicole Kidman and Zac tbh. Zac looks like the Frankenstein monster now so **** him. But Nicole she of all people disappointed. I'm sure there more to this story but I hope someone investigates or does some sort of exposure.

17 minutes ago, jakeisphat said:

Very juicy indeed.

She has more than put her work in, an absolute legend in multiple genres and formats! Not to mention her that turmoils! She deserves it.

And going out with a procedural show role seems like fun! 

Truly a legend. Dolores Claiborne is one of the best performances and films of all time.

• Like 1

But will she continue if the show is renewed?

Her face is freshly snatched! :flame:

well legend will be bowing out with grace :clap3: I wonder how long this show will last

Ugh, she's such a legend, I've loved her in every thing she's starred or been part of.

It's sad that she got a role as an answer to her her retirement announcement.

10 hours ago, jakeisphat said:

Wow that's messed up. I haven't watched the movie.

Well, maybe Matlock is gonna be a runaway multi-season HIT and we will have many more years of legend KATHY BATES to come???

post-an-ad-quote-literally-anything-v0-d

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.