The New York Times: "The Taylor Swift Endorsement Fantasy"

Feanor

76f3585eba530bdc33b2f15e66654789a0a56fa9.webp

The Taylor Swift Endorsement Fantasy

The conventions are over. The first debate between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris looms. But for many observers, there's a highly anticipated event in this election season that's yet to happen and could occur at any moment: an endorsement announcement from Taylor Swift. [… ] The countdown clock restarted: When might we expect Ms. Swift's official endorsement?

A better question might be: Why should we care? We already know that celebrity endorsements have limited power to sway a race. […] Ms. Swift, who endorsed Mr. Biden late in the 2020 race, failed to meaningfully move the needle in 2018, when she backed Phil Bredesen, a Democrat and the former governor of Tennessee, over Marsha Blackburn in a Senate race that Ms. Blackburn won. If celebrities had the amount of persuasive power that some Americans apparently wish they had, a substantial percentage of the population would be steadfast vegan Scientologists by now.

The fantasy that a superstar like Ms. Swift might come around on a white horse to sway the electorate is a seductive one — but it's worth asking what we hope this superstar will save us from. It's not that Ms. Swift's fans hope she'll save them from Donald Trump. It's more that, as an electorate, we continue to hold out hope that celebrities, through their sheer persuasive charisma, will save us from the hard work of politics itself.

The fact that so much celebrity wattage produces so little social change might be at least in part because celebrities exist for us as aspirational figures, not practical ones. […] But political candidates are ultimately public servants. They work for us; we're not their fans, we're their employers. They may occasionally acquire an aura of celebrity — something attributed to figures as diverse as Barack Obama and Mr. Trump — but their task should be to persuade voters that they will improve their lives. If they succeed, they'll win. If they don't, they'll lose. But we should leave celebrity opinions out of it.

But rather than sitting around and waiting for the brute force of celebrity to sway an election, fans should embrace the shared language of their fandom as a way to talk to, and potentially persuade, one another over practical issues that matter. The real work of politics remains just that: work.

The New York Times

Your thoughts and opinions on the (perceived) power of a Taylor Swift and other celebrity endorsements and why people seek them out so much?

michael-jackson-reading.gif

tree pain rn

• Haha 2

I just want Taylor to endorse being a good artist again

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Anything to protect a white billionaire. 💀

• Like 10
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 8

You know you're the biggest artist in history when your single opinion can change the tide of a country's election. 

• Confused 1

I see the PR effort to smooth over her not endorsing has begun.

• Like 2

are other countries this obsessed over who celebrities are voting for cause my country doesnt give a **** about them

if she endorsed Kamala she'd have thousands of people calling her a zionist so it's a lose lose situation :rip:

Notice how no one cares who Britney, Beyoncé, Gaga or Madonna are endorsing

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, By the Water said:

Notice how no one cares who Britney, Beyoncé, Gaga or Madonna are endorsing

I mean we all know who they are voting for.

Taylor Swift? The question lingers.

• Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Feanor said:

we continue to hold out hope that celebrities, through their sheer persuasive charisma, will save us from the hard work of politics itself

Yeah, this is true. I actually think the swifties organizing the Swifties4Kamala stuff is way more important than a Taylor endorsement would be. A post from Taylor might drive up voter registration for a few days, but actual grassroots organizing by ordinary people (to the extent that swifties can be called "ordinary") is way more useful in terms of community organizing and getting out the vote. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

tree pain rn

She doesn't need to do all that. Her cult following does it already.

OT: What's all that power good for if you're self-serving? Wasted.

1 hour ago, dobrevv said:

are other countries this obsessed over who celebrities are voting for cause my country doesnt give a **** about them

this tbh... Beyoncé was right I fear

Taylor could literally just share a post from Kamala's IG and call it a day not like we're asking her to perform at a campaign rally 

• Thanks 1

I'm not reading all that but I find it amusing that they're putting stuff she's never asked for on her. She's known for being non-controversial, non-political, etc etc yet even her silence sparks criticism. Make up your minds.

Not to mention how out of touch and superficial one must be to sit down and write about a celebrity's hypothetical political stance. The world is burning and there are people out there who are on the edge of their seats waiting for Taylor Swift to say sth. :rip:

Edited by dumbsparce

i think the point is more so that she is a big fake phony, not that her endorsement will make a difference 

6 hours ago, dobrevv said:

no. only americans are this stupid and this is one of the reasons why person like trump can be elected. if you treat your political system like circus, you will get clowns elected

This girl's whole life is about crafting PR narratives to support whatever actions she's doing... The real Taylor Swift will come out when she gets older and doesn't have s gigantic PR machine around her anymor

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.