Will Houdini be a pop cult classic?

Taylor fanboy

It already is!

Yes, she's joining the likes of Some Girls by Rachel Stevens and Untouchable by Girls Aloud for a Popjustice retrospective in 10 years time

• Thanks 1

I can definitely see an artist sampling the riff from the bridge (@2:13 on the Spotify version) in like 20 years time.

Similar to what Madonna did with 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' on 'Hung Up', or Rihanna with 'Tainted Love' on 'SOS'.

It's a very distinct sound, by a recognisable artist, but in 20+ years time, another artist might hear it and be like "woah, the people of 2024 didn't appreciate that enough. Let's sample it."

• Like 1

No. It's one of Dua's worst songs ever. How did it become a single while so many of her best tracks ended up scrapped, it's still a mystery to me. I personally only listen to it when i want to get an headache so :skull:

• Thumbs Down 5

10 minutes ago, Rihinvention said:

I can definitely see an artist sampling the riff from the bridge (@2:13 on the Spotify version) in like 20 years time.

Similar to what Madonna did with 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' on 'Hung Up', or Rihanna with 'Tainted Love' on 'SOS'.

It's a very distinct sound, by a recognisable artist, but in 20+ years time, another artist might hear it and be like "woah, the people of 2024 didn't appreciate that enough. Let's sample it."

the artist in question being Kevin Parker, we're aware of that, right?

• Thumbs Down 1

14 minutes ago, bjorn said:

No one outside of stan culture knows it exists so, NO.

Well that's not true since it spent 7 weeks in the UK top 10 and is still charting

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CBC said:

We don't care about that flop. After the RO subpar material & subsequent underperformance, i hope Dua files a restraining order against him, as all the other MPGs should do:khalyan: 

Edited by TayDuaStan
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it has that timeless feel to it.

3 minutes ago, CBC said:

You know what I meant.

We reference songs by the recording artist — not producers, unless they're credited as a featured artist.

The sample would be recognisable because of Dua, not the wider team who helped her create it. It's always been like this, so idk why you're singling out Dua.

In 20 years, no one's going to be like, "listen to this ballad. It samples the piano from 'Someone Like You' by Dan Wilson."

They'll say Adele, because that's how we know the song.

houdini is a particularly good dua lipa single and that's it nothing about it screams cult classic

• Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, Taylor fanboy said:

YES IT IS!!!

2 hours ago, Rihinvention said:

You know what I meant.

We reference songs by the recording artist — not producers, unless they're credited as a featured artist.

The sample would be recognisable because of Dua, not the wider team who helped her create it. It's always been like this, so idk why you're singling out Dua.

In 20 years, no one's going to be like, "listen to this ballad. It samples the piano from 'Someone Like You' by Dan Wilson."

They'll say Adele, because that's how we know the song.

ik exactly what you mean but Tame Impala isn't just a producer working behind the scenes, he has his own musical career and is very well known and successful. Dua didn't get his sound and make it famous, she went to him because it was a safe bet on an already well established and acclaimed musical style. What you say might happen with the more ignorant mainstream pop crowd but nobody will hear that riff and think Dua, they'll immediately think Tame because that's his signature sound. It would be similar to Rihanna's cover of his song imo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.