Your thoughts on "But Daddy I Love Him" 4 months later?

naval23

One of the best songs on the album, and she should drag her fans harder next time!! Swifities are beyond parasocial and she needs to knock them down 5 more pegs 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But Daddy I sucked Him.

:alexz:

HE WAS CHAOS HE WAS REVELRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Is "My All" the best sensual ballad of all time? - Base - ATRL

• Like 1

Misogynoir at its finest :doc:

Great lyrics, boring uninspired production

• Like 1

top 5 on alb

4 hours ago, Josh said:

Was hoping it was gonna be a bop not a midtempo

Are there any bops on that long album? I don't want to sift through all those songs to find out lol

a camp classic

• ATRL Moderator

It's not the best on the album like I initially thought (that goes to Guilty As Sin) but it's one of the best on it and I love hearing her do a classic country Taylor type song in 2024.  Would love if she went fully that direction next.

I also love that she wasn't scared to drag the creepy stans a bit!

"I'll tell you something about my good name, it's mine alone to disgrace" is a MOMENT in her discography

Double post.

Edited by Rihinvention

Not to be edgy/contrarian, but the songs with "cliche" song titles are my least favourite thing about this album.

- My Boy Only Breaks His Favourite Toys

- But Daddy I Love Him

- Fresh Out The Slammer

- Who's Afraid Of Little Old Me?

- I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can)

- The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived (I actually think this is a well-written, scathing song, but it also falls into the "cliche title" category, which is one of my biggest issues with TTPD).

I understand that one of Taylor's songwriting hallmarks is "the turn of a phrase." She will take a cliche and re-contextualise it, or turn it on its head. 

Normally, she's brilliant at it, but for some reason, on TTPD, it felt uninspired and there was too much of it.

Rather than being an autonomous 34-year-old, it felt like she was a high school junior relying on cliches for her English paper.

I also understand that "Daddy" isn't Scott Swift. It's a metaphor for Swifties. But even that feels weird, and just creates this image of a Disney princess who hasn't read anything beyond Romeo & Juliet or The Scarlet Letter.

It makes me feel like I'm actually listening to The Tortured High School Senior  or The Tortured Disney Adult.  I'm left thinking "wait a minute…I thought you left these writing tropes on Fearless and Speak Now."

Now, this is probably sounding like a scathing take, but I love Taylor, and if I'm being totally honest with myself, TTPD is far from my favourite Taylor Swift album, and I'm just being introspective and deconstructing why that's my personal opinion.

It's probably because it's a famous Little Mermaid quote. If it were the only cliche on the album, maybe I wouldn't take such umbrage with it, but because it's a constant writing trope throughout the album, I'm just left thinking "girl, you're 34…your writing was more mature at 21 when you wrote All Too Well."

Edited by Rihinvention
  • Like 1

All that song did for me was confirm that my time as a Taylor Swift fan (Lover through evermore) will never have a revival.

She needs to go back to making music like State of Grace. An entire album of So Highschool's would slay. And go back to simple but effective lyrics. These wordy and clunky lyrics don't work in pop songs. 

She needs to go back to making music like State of Grace. An entire album of So Highschool's would slay. And go back to simple but effective lyrics. These wordy and clunky lyrics don't work in pop songs. 

Too Speak Now coded for me, it's amazing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.