Do you believe that music can save lives?

Forever Winter

I came across a discussion online where music enthusiasts were naming which artists saved their lives through their music.

People were making fun of others for naming Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj, Dua Lipa, The Weeknd, SZA, Ariana Grande, and BTS as artists who saved them or helped get them through hard times.

The reasons given were:

helped them with depression and s****de

helped them through covid

helped them get through different phases of life

Comments were made:

"You would never catch me saying ______ saved my life. Not even ones I stan."

"Girl shut the f**k up."

I am of the belief that any artist, even if their output is just generic bubblegum and manufactured pop, can save lives through their music, even Ava Max.

What do you think? Do you believe music can save lives?

:giraffe:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Of course. It can change your focus and distract you from your troubles, or it can have a positive message which gives you hope.

Edited by AbeHicks
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Music can be used as a source of escapism and distraction, even as comfort as relating to a lyric can be helpful when in a **** situation, so yes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Of course it can. Any hobbie or interest that brings you joy can get you through tough times. I don't know what would be of me without it, and I'm not being dramatic. I know for a fact that many depressed people around me don't have anything in life that gives them what music gives me and they could use that kind of help when they feel there is nothing left.

• Like 1

Music can help us feel seen and understood. While I agree music can help us escape, sometimes that isn't always good thing. It depends on the subject matter. I don't think music that constantly reminds you of the world, your struggles, depression, or lyrics that fuels negativity, wallow in bad thoughts, or contribute to isolation is a good thing. The only form of music that's ever truly helped me seek help, heal, and get me through a healthy transformation is Christian/godly music. Secular music can sometimes be extra weighty and have the opposite effect of helping. 

Edited by Buffy
  • Like 1

It didn't save my life but I agree that it does. 

• Like 1

the main reason that i havent ended it all is because of Kesha.

that and im terrified of being in pain but mostly just because of Kesha

• Like 3

Yeah, anyone that says otherwise must never face adversity and struggled in the trenches. But I made it through thanks to Taylor's Fearless album. Sophomore year of high school. I'll never forget 😔

• Like 1

In some ways, I think so, yes. 

the reason i hesitate to say yes 100% is because saved my own life. i'm the one who, time after time, picked myself up and kept going.  i did it for myself and no one else. 

but i'd be lying if i said music didn't help me, probably more than anything else. when i was depressed in my teenage years i remember just not wanting to be here anymore and then watching the marry the night music video and realizing that everything passes and that i should keep going. and there are many more albums and songs i can name that helped me through specific hardships in my life. 

basically, give yourself some credit — maybe your favorite singer helped or inspired you and that's amazing but still, you saved your own life and you should feel proud of that

Edited by trueromance
  • Like 4

Absolutely. Music has such a powerful impact. Is something very trascendental. 

For me, I had the best childhood ever, :heart: but things fell apart when I just turned a teen (11-12) My dad betrayed my mom-was cheating, and home life became a nightmare. On top of that, I went to a school filled with mean kids and bullies in 7th grade to 9th grade — even the teachers were abusive and one of my classmates killed another one with a shotgun while doin homework.  My female classmates were also into dark witchcraft. That school i joined was evil spirited :emofish: It was the most expensive in my tiny town and so many of them were the sons-daughters of Narcos. So they were allowed to do whatever they feel like. 

I was in a really bad place and wanted just to dissapear or get into drugs or run away. I stopped eating (i looked emaciated) , was always depressed, and constantly stressed anxious over my parents' fights and school mistreatments.  But I had the music of Shakira, Avril, Britney, Xtina, and those Disney Channel shows- (Lizzie,Hannah Montana,Raven,High School,Cheetah Girls,Phil Of The Future,Zack and Cody,Life With Derek....) that gave me hope that life wasn't all bad and there was a better world outside.  Plus, thanks to those shows with Pop Music, I learned American English, and now here I am on this forum. :gaycat4:Learning english shifted my life 100% and all of that is thanks to Pop Music. Expanded my world of ideas and worldview so much.
In my country...the english speakers we are still a minority....  

Mornings at school were like goin to jail, and the afternoons weren't any better until about 4 pm. After exiting school, I had this little window of time where I'd watch Zapping Zone on Disney Channel until around 6 or 7 pm, i would Play CD's-Diskettes we were gifted in my old XP computer or Play Pokemon-The Sims-Gameboy games, which really brightened my day. Then my dad would come home, and it was just nonstop fights and mom fainting and almost dying. 

Watching shows like that and watching pop videos gave me hope that maybe the future could be better, and that I could still achieve my dreams or just live a happy life away from the pain. It honestly saved me from mental collapse.

Filmed in the beachs of malibu :cm:

So , yep i own everything to Pop Music. My bestie  :gaycat::heart:even if one day im alone. Music will soothe my soul.

Now all those storms are gone and im strong enough to face the darkness of life and to live the good times too
Im 31 now

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Like 3

Yes it can. Those moments of frisson (goosebumps) you sometimes get unexpectedly are very empowering and are indicative of being wholly in the zone.

without getting too personal, yes i do

• Like 1

It can definitely save lives, especially if your condition isn't chronic or if you're open to being saved.

People who've gone through a lot and have truly given up on life are a tough case, unless they come across an artist who really gets them and manages to change their perspective—which can be rare.

But yes, music absolutely saved us all during COVID.

Absolutely. 

1 hour ago, Taylor fanboy said:

spacer.png

That video is so exaggerated, but i mean, good for her

Yes, sure some people are overly dramatic but I do believe that a song can help you to get through a difficult type, be it by its lyrics, beat, etc but it can.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.