Do you think Thirteen (2003) is deserving of its renaissance moment amongst Gen-Z?

YourFavoriteWeapon

spacer.png

I've noticed that this film has started making waves on Tik Tok and Twitter with users, primarily the younger side of Gen-Z, discovering it for the first time. As a huge fan of this film who has put it in my all-time list since I first saw it at 10 years old, I'll forever continue to give it its deserved flowers and am so happy to know that a new generation is discovering it. Everything from the performances (Holly Hunter deserved to win that Academy Award and Evan Rachel Wood deserved a nom) to the usage of color and how the film gets progressively grey as Tracy's mental health continues to deteriorate are just amazing. Not to mention how they were able to achieve so much on a small budget of $2 million. I really hope The Criterion Collection puts this out one day because the fact that it doesn't have an official Blu-Ray release in the U.S is wild to me (thank god I have a region free player). 

Have you seen this movie and if so, do you like it and think it's worthy of its recent reappraisal by critics and Gen-Z?

If you're a young girl on Tik Tok this had its renaissance about 3 years ago and has been a staple SINCE!

• Like 1

Lemme be brave & admit I don't see the hype around this movie as justified. Kids >>>

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LoveInStereo said:

Lemme be brave & admit I don't see the hype around this movie as justified. Kids >>>

I think both are equally great in their own ways and deserve their place in pop culture, but one thing I will agree with you on is that Kids is objectively more disturbing and there's no debating that. That being said, I still think Thirteen manages to be a harrowing depiction of hedonistic adolescence and the struggles of mental illness and addiction. 

This was my Euphoria :jonny5:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was obsessed with this movie, it really shook me in my teens.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Reverse Warholian said:

Euphoria wishes LMFAO. Zendaya ain't even half the actress as Evan Rachel Wood or even Nikki Reed for that matter. 

• Like 1

uhmmm… no. it's not a very good movie. sorry :katie: I wrote a review on my letterboxd, I think I maybe would've liked it better if I watched it as a kid but eh 

I think Charlie Bartlett and Clueless and 10 Things I Hate About You are the ones of this genre that deserve the attention this one gets tbh

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, LoveInStereo said:

and Kids too, TRULY powerful film. makes Thirteen look like A Cinderella Story

• Thumbs Down 1

SKINS ALSO did this better! Effy's whole storyline >>>>

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Reverse Warholian said:

same :jonny:

Yes, it's an incredible movie. One of my favorites and one I've liked since I was a kid.

• Like 1

This movie was genius. It captured some very disturbing dynamics between parents and kids and kids among themselves. Evan deserved an Oscar nom

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeAg said:

I think Charlie Bartlett and Clueless and 10 Things I Hate About You are the ones of this genre that deserve the attention this one gets tbh

:ahh:

• Like 1

Just now, JustHoran said:

:ahh:

yes…? laugh it up honeyturkey I'm just giving my opinion 

5 minutes ago, JoeAg said:

SKINS ALSO did this better! Effy's whole storyline >>>>

I love Skins so much.

Katie ended Effy though ngl

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, itshyolee said:

I love Skins so much.

Katie ended Effy though ngl

spacer.png

wait okay SPILL !! yeah in terms of characters, Katie is beyond iconic. as is Naomi ugh we stan :jonny5:

Effy though is very the main character in Thirteen-coded I'd say, and her tumblr presence was something to behold

• Thanks 1

The ending confrontation is infuriating. Evie and Brooke can CHOKE

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeAg said:

uhmmm… no. it's not a very good movie. sorry :katie: I wrote a review on my letterboxd, I think I maybe would've liked it better if I watched it as a kid but eh 

Girl Clueless and 10 Things I Hate About You get way more attention than this movie bffr 

48 minutes ago, nostalgic said:

The ending confrontation is infuriating. Evie and Brooke can CHOKE

IT ******* STINKS IN HERE MEL :rip: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YourFavoriteWeapon said:

IT ******* STINKS IN HERE MEL :rip: 

As I said, INFURIATING. The nerve! The gall! The way she was begging to stay in that cockroach infested home 5 minutes prior

RXigIyf.gif

I watched it when i was 10, absolutely changed my early teens, i rewatch every year, such a great movie.

Edited by buzzkill

this movie taught me how to cut myself :suburban:

• Confused 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.