The Weeknd - 'Hurry Up Tomorrow'

punisher

5 hours ago, AbeHicks said:

The superbowl was his chance to prove himself as a performer but he stood in one place for 90% of it and even when he moved all he did was walk up and down. Weird choice.

Huh? Did we watch the same show? He moved through six different settings across the 14-min set, with the "Can't Feel My Face" pov madhouse segment becoming a meme that's still used to this day.

I don't understand why some people insist choreography and outfit changes are requirements for a good performance. Abel clearly doesn't have natural dancing skills and most of his discography wouldn't lend itself to this type of performance style anyway, especially given his typically dark and melancholic topics. He plays to his strengths, which are singing and creating an immersive visual experience, both of which were achieved to much success at the Super Bowl. The setlist was immaculate and flowed excellently too, which rarely happens at Halftime shows (coughs in Madonna, Rihanna, Usher, and Maroon 5). We had an atmospheric Gregorian choir, "Earned It" being completely improved through a new arrangement, and a beautiful career full-circle finale transitioning from 2011's underground classic "House Of Balloons" to his biggest chart success in "Blinding Lights". Not to mention Abel was visibly having so much fun.

He might have not proven himself to bandwagon journalists and shallow stans, but it's telling that his Super Bowl Halftime show performance set the stage for him to tour stadiums worldwide. Clearly he did something right after all. 😉

Edited by Moonlight Nation
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dear Reader

• ariananext

• savedthemixtape

• TryMe

I love the cover and the songs he performed he's definitely coming for another AOTY

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Moonlight Nation said:

Huh? Did we watch the same show? He moved through six different settings across the 14-min set, with the "Can't Feel My Face" pov madhouse segment becoming a meme that's still used to this day.

I don't understand why some people insist choreography and outfit changes are requirements for a good performance. Abel clearly doesn't have natural dancing skills and most of his discography wouldn't lend itself to this type of performance style anyway, especially given his typically dark and melancholic topics. He plays to his strengths, which are singing and creating an immersive visual experience, both of which were achieved to much success at the Super Bowl. The setlist was immaculate and flowed excellently too, which rarely happens at Halftime shows (coughs in Madonna, Rihanna, Usher, and Maroon 5). We had an atmospheric Gregorian choir, "Earned It" being completely improved through a new arrangement, and a beautiful career full-circle finale transitioning from 2011's underground classic "House Of Balloons" to his biggest chart success in "Blinding Lights". Not to mention Abel was visibly having so much fun.

He might have not proven himself to bandwagon journalists and shallow stans, but it's telling that his Super Bowl Halftime show performance set the stage for him to tour stadiums worldwide. Clearly he did something right after all. 😉

Walking accross different sets is somehow a challenge now? :psyduck:

And yeah, of course someone with his list of hits can tour WW, he doesn't need the SB for that. Ed Sheeran can tour WW too.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 7

1 hour ago, AbeHicks said:

Walking accross different sets is somehow a challenge now? :psyduck:

And yeah, of course someone with his list of hits can tour WW, he doesn't need the SB for that. Ed Sheeran can tour WW too.

Did I ever imply it was a 'challenge'? I was just saying he did not 'stay in one place for 90% of it' like you claimed. Let's not act deliberately obtuse here.

And well, it's worth noting his list of hits was consolidated thanks to his Super Bowl performance. But even then, not everyone manages to consistently sell out stadiums worldwide off the strength of their hits alone - especially as a non-white artist. Rihanna is arguably the most prolific hitmaker of the 21st century and her tour numbers have been fairly underwhelming compared to her peers. Not to mention there have been several artists whose career momentum was genuinely halted, if not outright killed, due to a poorly received Super Bowl performance. The Black Eyed Peas, Justin Timberlake, Maroon 5, most infamously and unfairly Janet Jackson. This clearly wasn't the case here.

Also... you really thought you did something by namedropping Ed Sheeran. :rip: He's a genuinely great performer who plays to his strengths. I'd much rather see him carrying an engaging live show with just him, a guitar, and a looper pedal rather than, say, Taylor Swift's current forced 'pop girl' theatrics, inexcusable lipsynching, and unflattering stage presence. She'd actually be better off ditching the flashy gimmicks and just 'stay in one place' playing her guitar and piano, where she truly shines as a performer.

Newsflash - artists can be strong performers in different ways - all approaches being valid as long as they play to their respective strengths. And 'challenges' don't matter if you don't have good taste. Usher delivered all the choreo, costume changes, and sex appeal, but I found his show to be frustrating and lacking in cohesion and flow. No amount of dancing could save Timberlake from the lashings, not helped that he thought "Filthy" was a good opener. Even Madonna made her set age poorly by prominently featuring LMFAO and "Give Me All Your Luvin". Meanwhile, The Weeknd's show is aging like wine and will serve as an effective showcase of what made him stand out as an artist and performer. That's mission accomplished in my view. But hey, you're free to disagree.

Edited by Moonlight Nation
  • Thanks 2

Dancing In The Flames instant classic. Why? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mark Rih said:

Dancing In The Flames instant classic. Why? 

I literally cried yesterday while he was performing it 

• Like 2

What if he is not even going to release a single and just drop the whole album and push whatever sticks with people?

I mean, it must come out now. Hopefully we can hear the whole thing on Friday :giraffe:
Haven't heard any of the new songs yet, want to have a proper full album experience

LOVE the previews. I'm afraid he's dethroning Dawn FM as his best album with this. 

Also the show looks incredible (as usual). He's kinda the equivalent of a pop girl for male artists. :laugh:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, WaterDiamonds said:

That thing is never gonna see the light of the day sadly... I fear our only chance are hackers if we ever want to hear it

Sadly I agree :dancehall3:  

It's been delayed for so long, first from the idol, then it was gonna be a standalone. Until she officially retired. 

It's kinda sad. Because I just heard the Anitta track and that is EXACTLY how I've always imagined a collab between Britney and The Weeknd would sound :dancehall3:  

Only hackers can let us listen to that gold. If it's even a finished version. On a side note, that Anitta track sounds ******* amazing. I hope he drops this soon. 

The production of the Brazil concert is AMAZING.

Do we have a release date for this yet? I need the studio versions of Wake Me Up, Dancing in the Flames, and Take Me Back to LA

Hurry Up and Announce the Album Release Date  :khalyan2:

• Haha 1

The Anitta collab....

ME I AM ......OBSESSED :jonny6:

"Dancing in the Flames" is really good!  :clap3:

8 hours ago, State of Grace. said:

He's kinda the equivalent of a pop girl for male artists. :laugh:

That's because he is the only big name male pop artist who actually puts serious thought into stunning visuals, albums that tell cohesive stories and rollouts that feel like real eras. It can't be stressed how rare this is when it comes to male artists, he is a workaholic who refuses to play his career on easy mode like most men and is irreplacable for that reason.

Edited by 4th Time Around
  • Like 9

Viral videos from the show on every possible app. He needs to drop something asap.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TouchinFree said:

The Anitta collab....

ME I AM ......OBSESSED :jonny6:

A BANNNNNNGER

• Like 1

Yeah I'm gonna annoy the **** out of everyone because im almost certain that Anitta collab is my new Chihiro. 

When is that **** coming already? And anyone knows any details about this song? I guess the woman singing in the track with the repeated verse is her, right? Or is she just gonna be featured in the project visually? 

1 minute ago, TouchinFree said:

Yeah I'm gonna annoy the **** out of everyone because im almost certain that Anitta collab is my new Chihiro. 

When is that **** coming already? And anyone knows any details about this song? I guess the woman singing in the track with the repeated verse is her, right? Or is she just gonna be featured in the project visually? 

That's her voice babe. And her voice is REALLY recognizable among Brazilian this is why everyone screamed like that when they heard the first sentence. 

i HAAAAATE The Weeknd. I'm not even jokin I NEVER listen to any of his song, they are too « chill » for what I like.

this song tho ? Is the perfect mix between his universe and Anita's and I love his voice on it.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Negiiiii said:

That's her voice babe. And her voice is REALLY recognizable among Brazilian this is why everyone screamed like that when they heard the first sentence. 

i HAAAAATE The Weeknd. I'm not even jokin I NEVER listen to any of his song, they are too « chill » for what I like.

this song tho ? Is the perfect mix between his universe and Anita's and I love his voice on it.

Ooh that makes sense now, thanks. Excuse my ignorance, as I've always liked Anitta but not too familiar with her material tbh, only heard when she's had collabs but I'm VERY drawn to her and her sound. She has a certain appeal that is incredibly attractive artistically. The Weeknd is a genius for choosing to collaborate with her :duca:

Oh you should dive into his work, it is actually far from chill. But I can understand since his popular songs are midtempos mostly. 

I CANNOT wait for the Anitta collaboration though. I hope to God there's a music video for it already :WAP:

On a side note, this is amazing exposure for Anitta, as the Weeknd is practically the #1 artist ww. She should take advantage of this when it becomes a single. 

Edited by TouchinFree

The new songs sound really good. So it will be a mix between after hours and new sounds? I hope there are more songs like Sao Paulo. Hopefully not a one off, because I'm obsessed. 

I loved how grand the stage was. But to be honest he needs all the whistles to put on a good show.

It was really cool, but I'm suprised he didn't get any backlash for using those covers, I don't know but it seemed like burqa's? 

His catolog is truly insane. He could fill a full setlist with just his hits. 

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.