'Blue Banisters' by Lana Del Rey is underrated. Agree?

KatyPrismSpirit

For me this is Lana's ultimate fall girl album. At the time of release, this album was paid dust. But to me the album was always filled with beautiful songwriting and storytelling. And Lana showcases on a great chunk of this album that she doesn't need more than just her voice and a piano to craft a great song 

These are some of my personal favorites:

Spoiler

Do you also agree that the album deserves more attention and isn't appreciated enough?

Edited by KatyPrismSpirit
  • Like 2

I really like a lot of songs on this album, I go back to Thunder, Living Legend, Black Bathing Suit and If You Lie Down With Me pretty frequently. I think the production on it is overall kind of half baked though, sadly. A lot of the songs still sound like demos and I think this has kind of led to people sleeping on it even though I think the songs are still solidly written. 

• Like 1

I think the album is a little messy because she decided to bring back some unreleased songs from past projects and it shows because overall it doesn't sound cohesive. But I think it has some great standalone moments. The first three tracks are career highlights imo and I really enjoy Black Bathing Suit, If You Lie Down With Me, Dealer, Thunder, Nectar of the Gods and Living Legend. The rest are a little forgetabble tbh...

• Like 2

It's good to have on in the background, but it's pretty forgettable.

Black Bathing Suit and Living Legend are my most played from it still. 

It's her TTPD.

Written on autopilot just to ensure that she can release another album and go on tour or whatever...

Has her most predictable melodies with her most boring production... except very few moments of excellence like Dealer and a few good moments in otherwise monotonous dirges.

• Haha 1

No, it's absolutely her worst, despite a few highlights.

Edited by Loca

8 minutes ago, Miss Americana said:

It's her TTPD.

Written on autopilot just to ensure that she can release another album and go on tour or whatever...

Has her most predictable melodies with her most boring production... except very few moments of excellence like Dealer and a few good moments in otherwise monotonous dirges.

? she released it right after chemtrails in the middle of covid and she didn't tour until ocean blvd…

i always forgot about that album but i rediscovered it recently and it has some of her best lyrics… it's amazing and i feel bad for ignoring it for so long

Hearing Ocean Blvd made me appreciate it more and I can see the progression from one to the other so clearly in hindsight 

• Like 1

It is underrated and has its moments but Ocean Blvd did a better job with what Blue Banisters tried to accomplish

But is it.. we got better stuff since, we don't have to force it

beyond underrated because this album is the foundation of Ocean Blvd, in the same way L4L is to NFR!.

anyway; tittle track is a lyrical masterpiece, BBS, VFR and WW are legit career highlights and the run from NOTG until the end is devastatingly beautiful.

• Like 1

She probably wrote the first half in an angry, defensive mode due to the QFTC backlash (songs like Textbook & Arcadia represents that); but then that took too long and went nowhere :chick1: thus she decided to tack on some old demos to please the fans & call it a day :relax:

• Like 1

It's really good. I know people hate she put so many unreleased songs on also without changing them and ripped from YouTube seemingly. But like the quality of them are still good and it's yall's fault when you listen to unreleased stuff before its intended to release. 

also the title track is literally in her top 5 songs, iykyk 

Truly one of my favourite Lana albums. Sweet Carolina, IYLDWM, Blue Banisters, Nectar of the Gods, Cherry Blossom :heart2:

She intentionally chose raw takes (on some of which she sounds drunk/ high). The reason (at the time) seemed to be that "raw" equated to authenticity/ coolness.

It's not a secret she has a fully produced sober version of the whole album in the vault where she sings every note in tune with a mostly double tracked vocal and full production.

Only the final version of "Beautiful" made it to the vinyl edition and we also (thankfully) got a leak of the final non-minimalist version of "Thunder" that I low-key love to dance to in a classy way on the down-low.

It is actually painful that anyone would try and retroactively attempt to re-brand "Blue Banisters" as a lost classic. However, several of the song compositions here were actually strong pieces of work (we just never got the best mixes). 

Her albums don't usually contain much filler which is amazing considering how prolific a writer she is, but this album was the exception. The other material (of which there is much % here) is the weakest of her entire back catalogue.

It's a shame some want BB to take over the role of "Honeymoon" (not my favorite album), as that one album the casuals never understood because "Honeymoon" genuinely is an acquired taste (and at least its lushness really does actually reveal itself in time).

To me BB is to Lana's catalogue what "Boys For Pele" is to Tori Amos's. To me BB will never reveal itself until we get the proper versions of each song out the archives in HQ WAV.

Edited by Dante Silva
  • Like 1

Lyrics are amazing. There's a couple of great melodies in there (it's the middle section that's kinda meh to me) but the overall production feels watered-down.

• Like 1

Blue Banisters is one of those albums I listen to and I just can't comprehend how people think it is a bad album. I think it is severely underrated. It is one of my top 5 Lana albums. Its perhaps the album that I think feels the most raw and honest and I love the decisions made in production and delivery. I don't see how someone can listen to these tracks and think she phoned it in to meet some arbitrary number.

Edited by Gladiator
  • Like 1

No. It has some good songs on their own, but overall the album is not cohesive. She mixed new songs with unreleased songs from previous eras just to feed her fanbase, and that's all it served for.

1 hour ago, Jay07 said:

No, it's her worst album.

This is not Chemtrails (although the concept is very cohesive) or Ocean Blvd.

OT: It is. It's a great album, tbh.

• Thumbs Down 1

37 minutes ago, HealerKirby said:

She probably wrote the first half in an angry, defensive mode due to the QFTC backlash (songs like Textbook & Arcadia represents that); but then that took too long and went nowhere :chick1: thus she decided to tack on some old demos to please the fans & call it a day :relax:

i think the same, i think she kinda wanted to do a confessional and diaristic album like ocean blvd but for some reason she stopped working on more songs and just put some old unreleased songs on it and called it a day 

the old songs she put on blue banisters were literally ripped from youtube, that shows how lazy she was with it

I love it tbh. It's better than Chemtrails imo and Blue Banisters and Sweet Carolina are some of my favorite Lana songs.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.