do you see OR3 smashing?

drivers license

If she delivers a dream pop/jangle pop album in the vein of deja vu and pretty isn't pretty, then of course :alexz3:

• Like 6

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drivers license

• KatyPrismSpirit

• favorite crime

• Strawberry Bubble

1 hour ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

She can but we need a few things:

- Chappell Roan duet

- No purple aesthetic 

- More mature topics than teen angst

- More pop sounds and less rock music

I think they're definetly changing everything for the next era.

They followed the formula labels always use on the second era. Not many changes to image or sound on second era then change on the third. Britney has done it, avril has done it, Rihanna has done it. 

Edited by Digitalism
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drivers license said:

@Solaria do we think Interscope is gonna force Olivia to make her next album more digestible by the gp? aka no more spoken singing?

No. I think her next album is either going into a folk or a new wave direction.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Digitalism said:

I think they're definetly changing everything for the next era since.

They followed the formula labels always use on the second era. Not many changes to image or sound on second era then change on the third. Britney has done it, avril has done it, Rihanna has done it. 

Idk but when I invision her third era I think it will be in the vein of a "Dangerous Woman" type of concept. Nothing too crazy like Bangerz or something, but definitely more sensual. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Idk but when I invision her third era I think it will be in the vein of a "Dangerous Woman" type of concept. Nothing too crazy like Bangerz or something, but definitely more sensual. 

She would be smart if she does that.

I'm convinced that OR3 will be a folk album with country and alt rock elements. I think people will be interested in Olivia singing about being in love since she's known as the girl with the sad songs, but I'm not sure if the GP will be here for folk. I wouldn't be surprised if OR3 is her "arts, not charts" era. 

if it's rock in any way she's over. GUTS is a masterpiece and i'm sure she could serve another wonderful unique album in some rock Subgenre but the GP isn't here for it.

i think it has the potential to be her Best Damn Thing.

7 minutes ago, JoJo said:

I'm convinced that OR3 will be a folk album with country and alt rock elements. I think people will be interested in Olivia singing about being in love since she's known as the girl with the sad songs, but I'm not sure if the GP will be here for folk. I wouldn't be surprised if OR3 is her "arts, not charts" era. 

GUTS was already her arts not the charts era:biblio:

If she's sticking with rock and wants to smash she needs to go Fleetwood Mac meets Laurel Canyon. Maybe some jangle pop and dream pop in the middle à la mazzy star. nothing too noisy as GUTS has shown GP will ship back

but I also see Olivia doing her own thing and living off of SOUR royalties as a rock chick. it's truly up to her. she just entered her 20s and it seems like she would come back with a bang to create a break from her late teens. don't count a disney girl out

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Like 2

some atrlers told me that she's forgotten & that guts was a flop so I'm predicting a 20k debut for or3 :celestial5:

• Haha 2

She can but we need a few things:

- Chappell Roan duet

- No purple aesthetic 

- More mature topics than teen angst

- More pop sounds and less rock music

Disagree on all points except the last one.

- banking on big name collabs is always a bad idea and usually what artists who are on their way out desperately attempt

- no one but twitter gays actually cares about the color of the album cover

- sour and guts explore the same themes any young pop girl (sabrina, chappell, billie etc...) does. actually none of the GUTS singles are really about teenage angst. as long as the music is catchy the gp will stan

1 hour ago, Bloodflowers. said:

I always imagined right after GUTS era started how this style of rock music will fit her perfect as she matures! Like this Top 20 hit from Sheryl Crow in 1998 that got her a bunch of Grammy noms, including Album of the Year nomination in 1999 :jonnycat:

Sheryl ended her ex Eric Clapton with this heartbreak anthem :clap3:

Honestly this track could still smash today. Country is IN atm and it's personal and mellow so if Olivia released this today, it would probably cross 1b streams faster than Vampire. 

• Like 1

We need that Ariana-Olivia collab then! :jonnycat: She can adopt Ms. Olivia and have her as her musical daughter

• Haha 1

she could easily smash or3! it just really depends on the themes and promotion

Yes but only if she evolves and picks up from where Ashleegend Siconmpson left off with Bittersweet World aka the greatest album of all time. I've been replaying it a lot lately and I kept thinking how it perfectly fits Olivia's vibe.

It can but she needs to evolve her sound, if she sticks to the samey Sour-Guts formula she will keep underperforming. Not saying Guts is a flop but it's an underperformance compared to Sour.

Its going to do well 

Yeah. All of her peers smashed I think all eyes on her what she will come up with

Yes. She needs to pursue the rock sound further if she wants an immaculate discogrphy in future because it's what she's good at. Her soppy ballads are not it. I think she can still incorporate rock and do well. She could help the genre grow rather than just ditch it because she underperformed relative to her debut.

Thank god members of ATRL aren't in charge of her career wanting her to just stick to pop :mazen: 

Edited by Doogle

I think she'll be fine. I think her sound will naturally mature; it'll still have rock elements, but be much less teen pop rock and more adult alt rock. Despite what ATRL thinks (aka hating anything that isn't a top 40 pop bop), her sound really works for her, she just needs to mature it now. 

For the big pop stars, the third albums are often times legacy defining because they start to change and evolve. I don't know what Olivia Rodrigo wants to do or if she even has those aspirations, but since she is still very young she can keep doing what she's been doing and stay in the poprock lane, I'm sure her fanbase would be happy with that.  Maybe try and switch it up on the 4th album when she is deeper into her 20s. 

Edited by lovely88

i wanna count her as album artist but something telling me that she need the first single to be a hit to have her third era success, we know her base is huge and all and the stake is higher than ever with her main competitor being IT girl atm. pressure is on 

Hope so! I really like the SOUR album, don't really care about GUTS aside from vampire and get him back...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.