What did Rihanna do right when she went "Good Girl Gone Bad" compared to other MPGs?

Josh

Rihanna was a khia before GGGB, it's not like she was Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift before

This era turned me into a stan. I can't recall 1:1 what exactly was playing on radio stations or music channels, but I remember Nelly Furtado closing her era with "Say It Right", Avril having her "Girlfriend" song, and plenty of Fergies and Akons. Overall end of 2006/beginning of 2007 was boring af. "Umbrella" was nothing like you'd hear at that time. I also think people were more invested into music videos, and Umbrella had a nice one. Her image didn't feel forced too - the black, bob haircut, and then short pixie, and hit after hit. They don't make eras like that anymore. :chick3: 

Well, um, for starters, I guess what contributed to her success in going bad is that she didn't go bad, it was just an image overhaul - from a mostly unknown image, that helped too. The whole aesthetic was still pretty tame compared to Miley, Xtina etc., the likes of which were a complete 180 on their previous, well-established imagery. 

Ri actually went 'bad' for a brief amount of time in the Rated R era (which kind of was a less successful album and era so that kind of defeats your point too), became mostly clean and upbeat in the LOUD era again (extremely successful), and started to really, unabashedly embrace her inner ho with Unapologetic.

that was just her being herself so it didn't feel forced

the 'good girl' image of her first 2 albums was kinda manufactured 

1 hour ago, A Million Lights said:

Rihanna was a khia before GGGB, it's not like she was Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift before

A khia but she was the most successful female artist of 2006 in the US according to Billboard and had 3 worldwide smashes 😭

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.