• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• awesomepossum

• Virgos Groove

• Communion

• Thesedays

• ATRL Moderator

There's no consistent reason to not be against state-sponsored murder. It's a shame the Democratic Party is plainly moving to the right on this issue.

• Like 8

I cannot stress enough how incredibly dangerous it is that this party and it's so called "progressive" wing and candidate have shifted so rightward on several policies… 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vegvisir said:

I don't understand how it not being on this particular platform means the party endorses it though.

Like... the death penalty hasn't been a top line issue for over a decade. It's f*cked up and shouldn't be happening, but aren't there bigger things to focus on in this upcoming election? Who is honestly out there thinking "well guess I'm not voting democrat since they didn't mention opposing capital punishment in the DNC platform this year"?

There are literally people on death row RIGHT NOW that activists are fighting to get their wrongful convictions overturned….

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/marcellus-williams-death-penalty-innocence-execution/

this may shock you but you should actually push your party to adopt a meaningful policy than just blindly kiss their boot because they're "not trump"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, awesomepossum said:

Again, you have no evidence of this actually happening. Jurors will not sentence someone to death if it hasn't been proved beyond a reasonable doubt that the person is guilty and there is no evidence that this has happened.

You're so wrong I don't even know where to start. 
wrongful convictions on the basis of tampered/faulty evidence/witness testimony as well as coerced confessions as a result of police brutality/torture are a facet of the US criminal "justice" system… And the victims of these are overwhelmingly black men who are the most likely to suffer at the hands of the racist US police state… 

https://www.madpmo.org/missouri-death-row-exonerees

3 hours ago, Gov Hooka said:

There are literally people on death row RIGHT NOW that activists are fighting to get their wrongful convictions overturned….

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/marcellus-williams-death-penalty-innocence-execution/

this may shock you but you should actually push your party to adopt a meaningful policy than just blindly kiss their boot because they're "not trump"

This may shock you but they're not "my party", I'm not even American :gayriahcat2:

11 hours ago, on the line said:

Well, I still do not support it, but I still support the Democrat party and will vote for them in November because I am not a single-issue voter. Overall, their values still overlap with mine more than the Republican party.

Finally someone with a brain 

11 hours ago, Gov Hooka said:

You're so wrong I don't even know where to start. 
wrongful convictions on the basis of tampered/faulty evidence/witness testimony as well as coerced confessions as a result of police brutality/torture are a facet of the US criminal "justice" system… And the victims of these are overwhelmingly black men who are the most likely to suffer at the hands of the racist US police state… 

https://www.madpmo.org/missouri-death-row-exonerees

Again, you need to check your reading comprehension. All those people were exonerated before being executed, NOT AFTER.

12 hours ago, Gov Hooka said:

Lmao did you even read the article you linked to? 

Prosecutors at Williams' original trial said he broke into Gayle's suburban St. Louis home on Aug. 11, 1998, heard water running in the shower, and found a large butcher knife. When Gayle came downstairs, she was stabbed 43 times. Her purse and her husband's laptop were stolen. Gayle, who was White, was a social worker who previously worked as a reporter for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Authorities said Williams stole a jacket to conceal blood on his shirt. Williams' girlfriend asked him why he would wear a jacket on a hot day. The girlfriend said she later saw the laptop in the car and that Williams sold it a day or two later. CBS News previously reported that police found Gayle's clothing and her husband's computer in Williams' car.

Prosecutors also cited testimony from Henry Cole, who shared a St. Louis cell with Williams in 1999 while Williams was jailed on unrelated charges. Cole told prosecutors Williams confessed to the killing and offered details about it.

Sure sounds innocent to me! :eddie:

Edited by awesomepossum
  • Haha 1

Yeah, Kamala and the Democrats are trash, what a shocker :rip:

Her speech last night was absolutely disgusting, talking about having the most "lethal military in the world" and the crowd chanting "USA!!!!". Unironically sounded like a Trump rally. America is beyond cooked as a country, things are gonna keep getting worse and worse even if Kamala gets elected in November. 

At the end of the day the Democratic Party is a right wing party. Just because the GOP has gone full on Nazi-level of extremism in comparison doesn't make Democrats "left" in any way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sugar-Rush said:

Is this in response to Trump saying that he'd give child rapists the death penalty? The DNC can't very well defend such people, so I get why they'd shift stances.

So basically you're saying Democrats should just keep getting more and more right wing just because they're letting the Republicans set the agenda? Some of yall will really defend ANYTING as long as it comes from Democrats :biblio:

20 hours ago, Virgos Groove said:

Being against the death penalty =/= defending child rapists. Stop letting Republicans and this binary way of thinking dictate policy.

Right? Why are so many liberals constantly letting the GOP set the agenda? I just don't get it :rip:

• Like 2

On 8/24/2024 at 2:09 AM, Communion said:

Probably because they've been committing torture for like 20 years now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.