European tourist goes viral for US trip; pans obesity, tipping culture and more

Riverbank

:clap3:

it's hilarious how much europeans love talking about america, it's giving coping mechanism 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joey307

• Vermouth

• Mezik

• mrpartyrocker

On 8/23/2024 at 8:02 AM, makeme said:

I just got back from Europe and was asked to tip multiple times. This also happened when I visited Europe earlier this year in May. Seems like yall are slowly adopting the tipping method or at least in major cities. 

I never tip in Europe.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 8/23/2024 at 1:02 PM, makeme said:

I just got back from Europe and was asked to tip multiple times. This also happened when I visited Europe earlier this year in May. Seems like yall are slowly adopting the tipping method or at least in major cities. 

Or they saw you coming a mile off 😉

Edited by Vermouth
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2024 at 7:00 PM, Vermouth said:

Except wine. Don't get me started as to why on Earth decent wine in France/Spain can be euro 25 ( less if you want the drinkable house wine - like euro 15/18) a bottle and it's like $50/60/70 in US restaurants. It's not the tax difference there way more going on than that.

tbf France and Spain produce a lot of wine. Is wine really produced that much in the US outside of California??

40 minutes ago, Illyboy said:

tbf France and Spain produce a lot of wine. Is wine really produced that much in the US outside of California??

The US is, I believe, the fourth biggest producer of wine in the world. Well ahead of such places as Australia, Chile, and Argentina. So shortage isn't the issue.

Wouldn't explain either why prices in the U.K. or the Netherlands (where about two thimbles worth of wine is produced) are way lower than the US.

It really baffles me this one. America - you are being ripped off big time, as far as I can see. Is there an actual explanation that stacks up commercially?

Totally changing the subject (but whilst I'm on my soapbox😁) same thing with ski passes - it's literally cheaper to fly to Europe for a week and ski than pay US lift pass prices. WTF?

21 hours ago, makeme said:

I tipped in London bc the waitress was STARING me down and it brought out the nervous American in me :rip:

This guilt tripping thing :shakeno: in Dublin with my parents the check was €89.50 and my mom hit custom tip and put €0.50 to round it up to €90, you should've seen the waitress' face :ahh:

• Haha 7

On 8/21/2024 at 5:02 PM, Joey307 said:

I don't know when and where this whole "anti-tipping" movement started online, but as a server it's embarrassing watching all you morons who don't understand how restaurants work ***** and moan about a system that has been in place for years and will never go away, because it WORKS JUST FINE and benefits every party involved. 

Europeans are a special kind of stupid to complain about Americans not respecting their culture when they visit their countries and then disregarding ours because they're CHEAP. Tip 20% or more or stay the **** home. 

spacer.png

ok hun there are other jobs in the world, you don't have to work as a waiter for the rest of your life. 

• Like 2

the tipping culture is so stupid. when I went to the US last year I was surprised to be asked to tip at a cafe for a coffee and a pastry considering no one brought them to the table but I had to wait at the counter to pick them up! like why am I paying you to do your job which is to prepare a coffee and put a pastry on a plate?! that also happened at mcdonalds when I actually ordered through the machine. it's just stupid and it doesn't make any sense whatsoever! if I feel like I want to tip someone I'll do it but I shouldn't feel obligated to do it whenever I go to a cafe or a restaurant just because it's the norm! at the end of the day that's your job, your choice and you get a salary for it whatever that is

• Like 2

On 8/22/2024 at 3:20 PM, Joey307 said:

1. I am more than capable of doing my job properly for those who aren't there to waste my time 

2. No, it's not $10 actually, because servers have this thing called tip-out. At the end of each of our shifts, we all have to give a pre-determined amount of our tips to bussers, hosts, bartenders etc. Who and how much you have to tip out is dependent upon the restaurant but it's always mandatory. 

For example my tip-out is 4 percent, so your 10 on 100 is actually 6 after tipping out. We as servers have to pay others' wages just like you customers do, believe it or not, even if you don't tip. We're literally paying to wait on you at that point. 

3. "tIpPiNG iS OpTioNaL" okay and it's optional for me to give you horrid service in exchange. You get what you (aren't) paying for. Is it "classist" to say you don't deserve a nanny if you can't pay the nanny? 

STOP TALKING ABOUT INDUSTRIES YOU CLEARLY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. 

Be like your fave

but your job is provide a great service as a waiter, how do you expect a stranger to pay you for the fact that you got them the order they asked for? what do you do other than taking an order and bringing some food and drinks at the table? the entitlement is unreal.:rip: it's your job and no one should feel obligated to pay you extra just because you got a stick up your ass. everyone works with customers, but I don't expect a "tip" for the work I do just because I feel I need the extra money. i should ask for a tip each time I send an email saying "good morning, how are you?" and "kind regards". 

• Like 6

On 8/23/2024 at 1:02 PM, makeme said:

nah, you get asked on the card machine usually and you can decline it. it's always been like that but it's not a normal thing like it is in the US

On 8/22/2024 at 12:23 AM, Trent W said:

I feel so relaxed when I trip outside of America

In some countries people are even weirded out when you try to tip them

I don't blame american waiters but the system that makes them go through that 

In one of my travels to Japan, the waitress literally rushed out of the restaurant to return the tip I left for her. 

• Like 2

On 8/21/2024 at 11:23 AM, єѕℓαм said:

He made several points actually 

especially with the tipping, and most importantly the loudness 

Americans are way too loud to the point of shouting 

Are we really that loud? 

I'm American so maybe I'm just used to it

43 minutes ago, mrpartyrocker said:

but your job is provide a great service as a waiter, how do you expect a stranger to pay you for the fact that you got them the order they asked for? what do you do other than taking an order and bringing some food and drinks at the table? the entitlement is unreal.:rip: it's your job and no one should feel obligated to pay you extra just because you got a stick up your ass. everyone works with customers, but I don't expect a "tip" for the work I do just because I feel I need the extra money. i should ask for a tip each time I send an email saying "good morning, how are you?" and "kind regards". 

Typical pay per hr for a server is $2+ which is much less than the minimum wage because tipping pays the rest. It's just how it works. Should customers have to tip? No but service workers who mainly live off tips deserve to make money of the work they do

1 hour ago, mrpartyrocker said:

the tipping culture is so stupid. when I went to the US last year I was surprised to be asked to tip at a cafe for a coffee and a pastry considering no one brought them to the table but I had to wait at the counter to pick them up! like why am I paying you to do your job which is to prepare a coffee and put a pastry on a plate?! that also happened at mcdonalds when I actually ordered through the machine. it's just stupid and it doesn't make any sense whatsoever! if I feel like I want to tip someone I'll do it but I shouldn't feel obligated to do it whenever I go to a cafe or a restaurant just because it's the norm! at the end of the day that's your job, your choice and you get a salary for it whatever that is

The rule should be: if you have to stand, no tip. And if you're in a state where servers get paid at least minimum wage like CA, OR or WA, no need to tip either. NEVER be ashamed to hit no tip, sis.

Edited by KillingYourCareer

4 hours ago, Into The Void said:

Typical pay per hr for a server is $2+ which is much less than the minimum wage because tipping pays the rest. It's just how it works. Should customers have to tip? No but service workers who mainly live off tips deserve to make money of the work they do

yeah that's between them and where they work. no one's fault and I shouldn't feel bad about it:rip:

• Like 2

On 8/24/2024 at 2:40 PM, Mezik said:

I never tip in Europe.

@mylicious sweetie, every single time I've been to Europe my family and friends that live there have told me to not tip as "they don't want North American tip culture brought over". So instead of down voting me understand that it is absolutely normal to not tip in Europe. :) 

• Like 1

If you don't have the money to tip, just don't go to restaurant, it's easy like that

Funny how people love to act fancy and sh*t at the restaurant but are barely able to pay tip and complain about it

real rich people don't complain about tip, poor does

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

you're supposed to tip 20%-25% in the US??? :deadbanana2::deadbanana2::deadbanana2::deadbanana2:

He did not lie. 

His takes are the European equivalent of Americans who visit "Europe"

Edited by dumbsparce

surprised this went viral, he just regurgitated all of the same stereotypes Europeans always mention when talking about the US.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John Slayne said:

surprised this went viral, he just regurgitated all of the same stereotypes Europeans always mention when talking about the US.

He wasn't even being offensive or rude, half the stuff he said was complimentary. 

On 8/21/2024 at 3:17 PM, bad guy said:

A German complaining about people being normal and nice, how groundbreaking. 

abdda4e5da525196701c248a537fffea.gif

And who the hell goes to VEGAS, the city equivalent to a trashy amusement park, to experience America? Don't piss me off.

Also In N Out is a California classic and is actually fresh unlike the McDonalds these Europeans are used to. The fries being ass is irrelevant. 

Oh and one other thing. How dare a GERMAN speak on obesity when your diet consists of pretzels, bratwurst, sausage, and beer. You wanna complain about hamburgers when y'all are the ones that invented it when y'all immigrated over here. I've been to many Biergarten's and every man in there is built like Doctor Eggman from Sonic while the women look like Miss Trunchball from Matilda. Only the servers are pretty but that was to entice customers clearly because it was all smoke and mirrors

Actually I'm not done, one more thing. You know what you signed up for visiting America that restaurants have tipping culture. Literally for decades. I know it's difficult for a German to understand politeness but that's what you do. And you have the money to do so if you're traveling to NYC so don't even try it with the excuses. Now tipping at any other place other than restaurants and small coffee shops...yeah we smash that NO TIP button but again as a German he should have no issue being selfish on that. 

At least we have FREE public restrooms in restaurants, friendly people, and ice cold free water on standby in just about any food/coffee place. Tschüss!

:rip: :jonny4: This filthy read:ahh:

On 8/22/2024 at 4:30 PM, Joey307 said:

Okay babe, you're clearly not here to understand which is why you have no argument other than saying the employer should pay a higher wage when you know that's never been how this works. 

Again, TIP 20% or as Fergie once said, take your broke ass home. 

Again, why calling everybody broke in each of your posts? Just because we're not pro-tipping doesn't mean we're broke. Do you have some trauma with money? Maybe you should go outside sometime and fix your moronic views.

• Haha 1

This is all not a new information, lol. Most of these are the basic American stereotypes. 
kinda surprised about being difficult to find healthy supermarkets etc.  

On 8/21/2024 at 9:20 PM, aotwbys said:

No idea why anyone on the planet would ever spend a dime on coming here lol

Really? Not even New York? 

On 8/21/2024 at 10:15 PM, ariananext said:

The german point of view may be a bit "extreme", although as an italian I've never had a bad experience with unfriendly people in Germany. They're definitely polite, I've never been to the US so I don't know how that compares.

As for the loud thing, I definitely notice american tourists being super loud and abnoxious especially on public transports here, while italians are definitely known for being loud I think that's mostly in social settings such as dinners/nights.

Where are you from Italy? I live in Emilia-Romagna region, and everyone is so quiet. It's too much :jonny6:

Edited by KeshaSwift

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.