Was HIM from Powerpuff Girls problematic?

jakeisphat

In the 90s/00s cartoon, Powerpuff Girls, HIM was known for being the most dangerous villain of the show. Notably, he was an androgynous character with a bearded masculine face, wearing makeup/female clothing, and had a voice that often switched from hyper-masculine to flamboyantly effeminate. Most of his appearances seemed to imply he resided in hell. In hindsight, some may feel that it was problematic for the creators to portray a seemingly queer character as a satanic and threatening being that was set out on harming children. Others might think HIM is iconic for being an early representation of a powerful character that did not conform to gender norms.

Was HIM a problematic character?

• Haha 1

They were the ultimate BOSS villain that had the girls at their most shook :clap3:if thats what you mean by problem then sure

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

No. It was iconic and nothing wrong with the character. 

• Like 8

powerpuff-girls-yas.gif

The original DIVA. Did HIM start the whole yaaasssss for gays omg? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

I don't understand what's the point of going back 20-30 years to find these things

Probably in the current era it would be, but back then people had a different perspective 

The character was fun and entertaining 

• Like 6

He was a drag queen

• Like 1

An accurate representation :eli:

No. We love diverse roles for queers.

Him was an icon to be honest.

• Like 3

I find it inherently problematic to make a villain, LGBT coded. The antagonist was deliberately designed to be menacing and using androgynous, flamboyant, and effeminate qualities was… questionable. I find it rare that LGBT representation involves a hero, which says a lot about the underlying biases and assumptions of the screenwriters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

i'm gonna say no. we need queer villains too

• Like 1

I liked him, it was scary and cool at the same time. His voice was sooo cool

Maybe if the queer was the only villain, but there were loads of villains on that show, HIM was just the most powerful 

• Like 4

HIM was waaaaayy ahead of his/her time! 

A non binary ICON AND LEGEND 

1 hour ago, cartierdelrey said:

I find it inherently problematic to make a villain, LGBT coded. The antagonist was deliberately designed to be menacing and using androgynous, flamboyant, and effeminate qualities was… questionable. I find it rare that LGBT representation involves a hero, which says a lot about the underlying biases and assumptions of the screenwriters.

Ehhh lgbt super villian makes so much more sense. Against the system and against the status quo. A superhero is usually very status quo and upholds the "perfect image" and patriarchy. 

• Like 3

I understand a slight retrospective analysis of Him as the confluence of villainous and queer and being spotlighted in that show significantly, but I think at this point it's more productive and healthy to find his representation as generally beneficial to queer visibility in media. yes, he was a villain, but hey, some villains happen to be queer! a lot of bad people just so happen to also be queer! it didn't feel to me—and retrospectively still doesn't—like his evilness was dependent on his queerness. he was unapologetically a villain, and he was unapologetically queer. so yeah :giraffe:

• Like 2

an ATRL Icon who birthed most gays and reginas here :clap3:

• Like 1

An icon, a legend, a trailblazer and the everlasting moment. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.