KATSEYE - 'SIS (Soft is Strong)'

50thStateofMind

The doc was so good, K-Pop fans really need to use some critical thinking skills. 

Also, we need the Dirty Water OT6 version :jonny: 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 50thStateofMind

• Odette Violet

• willmcclure9

• orange22

Loved the docu series! Surprised there isn't a thread for it.

Out of the final girls, Megan is my fave.

Initially, I thought I'd stan Manon but the lack of work ethic turned me off. Pretty privilege pushed her over the finish line.

Daniella grew on me quite a lot throughout the series. Love Sophie and Lara's vocals, but Lara is both cool and off-putting at the same time.

The EP isn't it for me, Debut was cool and Touch is cute but the other 3 tracks do nothing for me. 

I was rooting for Lexi the whole time :chick3: Let me look her up

• Like 4

they really need to deliver something more edgy with their next release. let the girls (especially Lara) have a little more say in the music or work with fresh producers. I also think they need a major creative direction overall... from the fonts used to the music videos, it's just not exciting or fresh. and all the "my charm is the anchor" and "SIS (Soft Is Strong)" is just corny k-pop-isms that they need to drop quick if they want a global / western success, which I really think they can get if they bring in new creative directors and ditch the k-pop structure a bit. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Edited by 50thStateofMind

Debut has actually been hitting for me lately :katie2:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thedeathbymusic said:

they really need to deliver something more edgy with their next release. let the girls (especially Lara) have a little more say in the music or work with fresh producers. I also think they need a major creative direction overall... from the fonts used to the music videos, it's just not exciting or fresh. and all the "my charm is the anchor" and "SIS (Soft Is Strong)" is just corny k-pop-isms that they need to drop quick if they want a global / western success, which I really think they can get if they bring in new creative directors and ditch the k-pop structure a bit. 

same, I hope the girls lean more into the R&B, hip-hop realm, while maintaining the Touch charm. They also need to add a lot more vocal layering into their songs (IMO).

Iʻm hoping for something like these, sonically, for their next project

• Like 1

On 8/25/2024 at 9:17 PM, magazine said:

they are really well trained dancing-wise. It's crazy :jonny5:

But I want to hear some live vocals, sistrens :chick3: Do they have any sit-down/acoustic performances?

Not yet as the final group  but there's their performances during the show.

The vocal duo Lara and Sophie are here :giraffe:

10 minutes ago, 50thStateofMind said:

same, I hope the girls lean more into the R&B, hip-hop realm, while maintaining the Touch charm. They also need to add a lot more vocal layering into their songs (IMO).

Iʻm hoping for something like these, sonically, for their next project

It's HYBE, we are not getting that I fear :redface:

5 minutes ago, Odette Violet said:

It's HYBE, we are not getting that I fear :redface:

would be such a miss considering Lara is the best vocalist HYBE has on their entire label :rip: 

On 8/25/2024 at 3:17 AM, magazine said:

they are really well trained dancing-wise. It's crazy :jonny5:

But I want to hear some live vocals, sistrens :chick3: Do they have any sit-down/acoustic performances?

Lara is the only who regularly posts her live singing

The Netflix doc aftermath is way less messy than social media during Dream Academy :eli:. Overall, I'm impressed at how smart they were in putting the group together - the final girls complement each other well + are all likable imo.

I think they're smart to tap into the existing k-fanbase with the concept, photocards, etc. K-fans love to buy physical albums, so I see this as a tactic to make sure they're profitable/will last.

Sonically, it's clear that Touch is the sound they should build on. Teen-friendly pop/R&B without being too Disney.

Hopefully JYP takes notes while I assume they're working on rebranding VCHA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 50thStateofMind said:

would be such a miss considering Lara is the best vocalist HYBE has on their entire label :rip: 

The only hope we got is if Geffen would take most of their production rights like let them more work with american producers and vocal engineers 

like this is why I don't resonate with Touch, anyone and their mothers can sing it    :bam:

Edited by Odette Violet
  • Like 1

I binge watched the documentary and what a mess :deadbanana:

The vile comments some of the girls like Adela are getting from Manon solo stans :deadbanana4:

Adela was a bit immature to bring up Manon but her feelings were valid. Manon is lacking in vocal and dance talent but she has a gorgeous face that is highly photogenic. The industry sadly is shallow and since this is a kpop adjacent band, so are the fans.

Sadly, I think Katseye will flop. :chick3: I'll give them two years before they disband. I'm not really sure who their target audience is. Their sound and image is way too Kpop for a western audience. They made a big mistake by allowing fan votes to decide who ended up in the band because most of them were global kpop fans. If they truly wanted to appeal to the western market, Emily would've been a perfect fit. She's like a young Britney Spears. They need a more mature sound and image tbh. 

• Like 1

Touch is so catchy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I could see a contemporary adaptation of a Pussycat Dolls approach sonically working for them (My dream would be their take on a Who's Gonna Love You esque song :WAP:) -  I think the original group HxG was pushing for (which most-likely included Lexie, Emily, perhaps Samara) would've worked better with the youthful sound they've launched with.  The group they landed with has a much fiercer feeling and they should capitalize on that more going forward imo :giraffe: Debut scratched a bit of that itch tbh it's hitting harder on consecutive listens

Edited by dealtwith

I'm Pretty is also hitting more on each listen :WAP:

9 hours ago, Kukai said:

I binge watched the documentary and what a mess :deadbanana:

The vile comments some of the girls like Adela are getting from Manon solo stans :deadbanana4:

Adela was a bit immature to bring up Manon but her feelings were valid. Manon is lacking in vocal and dance talent but she has a gorgeous face that is highly photogenic. The industry sadly is shallow and since this is a kpop adjacent band, so are the fans.

Sadly, I think Katseye will flop. :chick3: I'll give them two years before they disband. I'm not really sure who their target audience is. Their sound and image is way too Kpop for a western audience. They made a big mistake by allowing fan votes to decide who ended up in the band because most of them were global kpop fans. If they truly wanted to appeal to the western market, Emily would've been a perfect fit. She's like a young Britney Spears. They need a more mature sound and image tbh. 

Despite being an amazing dancer/performer Emily was a flop with fans especially the US fans who voted for foreigners trainees more. She sadly don't have the visual and the appeal. Daniela is more marketable than her, that's why she kept climbing in fan voting. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kukai said:

I completely disagree with their sound being way too K-Pop. If anything, they should embrace K-Pop's sound and structures way more in order to properly appeal K-Pop's current audience. The fact that two title tracks are lacking a bridge and a final explosive end is a perfect example, strucuture-wise. In terms of sound, things should be a bit spicier.

If they don't completely want to follow K-Pop, then this project that's being produced by Bloodpop would also be nice:

Regarding Emily, she was the true standout girl of the whole program and both her and Adela deserved a spot in the group. Hopefully she'll manage to debut.

A girl like Emily would be so perfect in a bubblegum pop girlgroup tbh. She truly slayed Wannabe.

• Thanks 1

I dont see this group lasting. The way that netflix show was showing how the girls feel about manon...and idk..i get mean girl energy and cattyness from all of them. Especially when lara was giggling in the hallway..wasnt cute.

Reminds me of weird highschool behavior. 

7 hours ago, Adama said:

Despite being an amazing dancer/performer Emily was a flop with fans especially the US fans who voted for foreigners trainees more. She sadly don't have the visual and the appeal. Daniela is more marketable than her, that's why she kept climbing in fan voting. 

You're basing this on a show where most viewers/voters were Kpop fans and looked at this through a Kpop lens. I'm talking about if they want to become the next big girl group in the US and not just a peripheral Kpop-lite girl group. Emily has that American girl charm and she would be a massive hit with straight male fans. She's a blonde bombshell and has that young Britney Spears look. 

4 hours ago, ZENO said:

I completely disagree with their sound being way too K-Pop. If anything, they should embrace K-Pop's sound and structures way more in order to properly appeal K-Pop's current audience. The fact that two title tracks are lacking a bridge and a final explosive end is a perfect example, strucuture-wise. In terms of sound, things should be a bit spicier.

If they don't completely want to follow K-Pop, then this project that's being produced by Bloodpop would also be nice:

Regarding Emily, she was the true standout girl of the whole program and both her and Adela deserved a spot in the group. Hopefully she'll manage to debut.

A girl like Emily would be so perfect in a bubblegum pop girlgroup tbh. She truly slayed Wannabe.

But I thought their intention was to make them big in western markets? The KPOP sound doesn't really appeal to many people beyond a niche demographic. I think they could still use the KPOP structure with the choreo, performances, videos and marketing but make the sound more appealing to the western market. 

I think Emily will end up just going down the professional dancer route. Her skills as a dancer is on the level of pro dancers and plenty of dancers are making a name for themselves these days.

• Like 1

Im confused why hybe or other labels dont take the girls from the Academy documentary and make another group?

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Kukai said:

You're basing this on a show where most viewers/voters were Kpop fans and looked at this through a Kpop lens. I'm talking about if they want to become the next big girl group in the US and not just a peripheral Kpop-lite girl group. Emily has that American girl charm and she would be a massive hit with straight male fans. She's a blonde bombshell and has that young Britney Spears look. 

But I thought their intention was to make them big in western markets? The KPOP sound doesn't really appeal to many people beyond a niche demographic. I think they could still use the KPOP structure with the choreo, performances, videos and marketing but make the sound more appealing to the western market. 

I think Emily will end up just going down the professional dancer route. Her skills as a dancer is on the level of pro dancers and plenty of dancers are making a name for themselves these days.

Emily is a dancer and thatʻs it. She never wouldʻve been a good fit for the group unless they went the ultra bubblegum route. My opinion at least.

I also disagree HARD that she appeals to the western market. They picked the best girls from the show, point blank. They have tons of untapped potential and most of all, they have the ability to become a fiercer, more adult group (once Yoonchae turns 18).

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Edited by 50thStateofMind
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 50thStateofMind said:

EP has been on repeat. Debut and Touch are really good & I know the other songs are arguably a little Disney Channel, but their voices are just so catchy

• Like 1

They can stay doing the teen pop sound they have right now, then transition to a more mature sound and image, Fifth Harmony and Little Mix started like that.

Edited by BigBangStan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.