UMG: Sam Smith has sold 49M Albums & 300M Singles

Yog

spacer.png

Sam Smith is one of the most celebrated musical artists to emerge in recent history. Sam has amassed over 49 million adjusted album sales, 300 million single sales and 84 billion career streams across their catalogue of critically acclaimed albums "In The Lonely Hour", "The Thrill of It All", "Love Goes" and "GLORIA"

https://www.universalmusic.ca/press-releases/sam-smith-releases-in-the-lonely-hour-10th-anniversary-edition-with-a-special-alicia-keys-collaboration/

THE MAIN POP LGBTQ+ 

spacer.png

Edited by Yog

successful monarch 

k9dZTol.gif

• Like 1

Aren't those like.. Rihanna level numbers? I guess labels really do just say anything sometimes :deadbanana4:

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 5

And yes, they are a queer icon if you were asking 

k9dZTol.gif

• Like 1

Are they releasing new music? 
spacer.png

I was gonna say reaching, but I just checked Chartmasters and they had Sam at 44m last May 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Aren't those like.. Rihanna level numbers? I guess labels really do just say anything sometimes :deadbanana4:

lol you can seethe while staying pressed & folded  :gaylorcat2:be happy for an accomplished queer artists

Edited by Yog
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I remember thinking they would be a one hit wonder but I was proven wrong :clap3: still don't like them but congrats

• Haha 1

There's NO WAY that's true. That would mean he's a bigger seller than Madonna and it's just impossible.

They really said, INFLATION, huh?

3 minutes ago, Enrique523 said:

There's NO WAY that's true. That would mean he's a bigger seller than Madonna and it's just impossible.

Taylor Swift & Rihanna have also outsold Madonna with singles, if that helps :heart2:

24 minutes ago, Enrique523 said:

Chartmasters also has Sam Smith at 44M album units as of the formula from last year. Single units are always iffy, but their album units overlap more or less with the non-label numbers.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Feanor said:

Chartmasters also has Sam Smith at 44M album units as of the formula from last year. Single units are always iffy, but their album units overlap more or less with the non-label numbers.

There's also an article of last year of having them at 250M in singles, it's not really out of the realm possibility Sam selling many singles given their various smashes throughout the last decade.

Edited by Yog

1 hour ago, PoisonedIvy said:

I think you're underestimating how absurdly huge both Stay With Me and I'm Not The Only One were and that Sam's first era was still in times where albums did sell somewhat decently.  :deadbanana2:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Feanor said:

I can be ok with the album numbers (even if they do seem too big) but the single numbers are way too high, i know he had several hit singles but not to the point of selling 300M. Katy Perry for example had WAY more hit singles than him overall yet she's nowhere near 300M.

I don't believe it :rip:

349M records sold? Doesnt madonna have 400M? This has to be fake :rip:

1 hour ago, Arthoe said:

I think you're underestimating how absurdly huge both Stay With Me and I'm Not The Only One were and that Sam's first era was still in times where albums did sell somewhat decently.  :deadbanana2:

Not to mention their post "In The Lonely Hour" smashes.. :mandown:

2 hours ago, Enrique523 said:

It's a messy formula as it double counts streams but it's correct, just not the best perspective to use the data pfff

Taking Sam's debut as example

In the Lonely Hour is at 23-25M units counting everything (sales, single sales, streams) - part of the 49M albums.

In the Lonely Hour has 36M single sales (digital) and nearly 9 billion streams on Spotify alone, so technically over 100M singles - part of the 300M singles.

Going by the same formula Madonna is at the very least 250M albums and 240M singles. Since the album units are the ones that condense everything in one spot, the 250M and Sam's 49M are what put things into a full picture.

Edited by Popboi.
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

In the Lonely Hour has 36M single sales (digital) and nearly 9 billion streams

More like 10B

1 minute ago, Yog said:

More like 10B

Kworb still hasn't added it so used Drowning Shadows as reference :suburban:

2 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

Kworb still hasn't added it so used Drowning Shadows as reference :suburban:

Chartmasters keeps everything up to date & labeled right spacer.png

2 hours ago, Popboi. said:

It's a messy formula as it double counts streams but it's correct, just not the best perspective to use the data pfff

Taking Sam's debut as example

In the Lonely Hour is at 23-25M units counting everything (sales, single sales, streams) - part of the 49M albums.

In the Lonely Hour has 36M single sales (digital) and nearly 9 billion streams on Spotify alone, so technically over 100M singles - part of the 300M singles.

Going by the same formula Madonna is at the very least 250M albums and 240M singles. Since the album units are the ones that condense everything in one spot, the 250M and Sam's 49M are what put things into a full picture.

Yeah that's... extremely messy and inaccurate indeed lol. That's explains the numbers i guess, thanks for the answer.

I want to make one thing clear: i'm no Sam hater, i just knew the numbers were WAY too high compared to reality.

4 hours ago, Happylittlepunk said:

Are they releasing new music? 
spacer.png

I expect an new album by next year since studio sessions have leaked 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.