Kamala officially opposes embargo on Israel

heckinglovato

After speculation following her brief meeting with pro-Palestine protestors that she may be open to the idea of an embargo, her team came out with a public statement clarifying otherwise:

Vice President Kamala Harris' national security advisor asserted on Thursday that Harris does not support an arms embargo on Israel, in response to a statement issued by anti-Israel activists who met with Harris the day before and suggested she may be open to the idea.

Harris "has been clear," Phil Gordon, her top foreign policy advisor, wrote on the social media site X. "She will always ensure Israel is able to defend itself against Iran and Iran-backed terrorist groups. She does not support an arms embargo on Israel. 

https://jewishinsider.com/2024/08/white-house-harris-opposes-arms-embargo-on-israel/

• Like 8
  • Thumbs Down 2

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Communion

• ForgottenSoul

• SeeingStars1515

• on the line

The media apparatus now at her disposal is attempting to erase not just Kamala Harris' arch-Zionism and dehumanization of Palestinians, but also her long tenure as a prosecutor in California, where she went after low-income people of colour with the full weight of her office. 

The Vice President is counting on the effectiveness of this facade to win the 2024 elections, although she has no intention of breaking with the position of the Biden-Harris administration, which has centred the funding and arming of the Israeli regime. 

Almost every single month since the genocide began in October of 2023, both President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris expressed the need for humanitarian aid, declaring that their administration will "do everything [it] can" to ensure such aid is received and increased.

But the administration continued to fund and arm the Israeli regime, facilitating its attack on starving Palestinians in consecutive aid truck massacres.

https://www.newarab.com/opinion/dont-trust-kamala-harris-lesser-two-evils-still-evil?amp

• Like 6

But she's such a girl boss, you Trump supporter! 😡😡😡

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 13

3 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

if you ever think there will be a us president or general us stance against israel you are mistaken and i need y'all to wake up to reality, no matter how disgusting israel is, their relationship and funding of america has been ongoing for a century now, longer than our Lifetimes and it's not gonna change :rip: she still remains y'all most sane and stable option

Kamala can definitely be a force of change here, but it seems like she's essentially going to be a typical post-Carter Democrat rather than try to do anything outside the box.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

if you ever think there will be a us president or general us stance against israel you are mistaken and i need y'all to wake up to reality, no matter how disgusting israel is, their relationship and funding of america has been ongoing for a century now, longer than our Lifetimes and it's not gonna change :rip: she still remains y'all most sane and stable option

But that doesn't mean that people should close their eyes at this. The order of things has to change soon or Trump would be the least of the problems this world has. Yes, you all need to vote for her if you want a better future, but nothing would be really changed. Also, I'm not sure if I'm right, but she might be the one to actually listen 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Harriser said:

You all have known this would be the position regardless of the VP pick, regardless of whether it was Biden or Kamala (or frankly any other democrat short of a squad member). Stop acting brand new.

It's the United States, even if Kamala was the most secretly pro-Palestine woman ever she'd still have to take this position or she'd tank against Trump. Look at the polling on this issue. Any room for change on this is only really possible when she is no longer Biden's Vice President, and when she's not in a federal election cycle.

Polling on any issue isn't static, and the US is becoming far more critical of Israel. Kamala isn't as constrained as you're implying. She's compromised by AIPAC.

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Never liked her😴

• Thumbs Down 3

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

Polling on any issue isn't static, and the US is becoming far more critical of Israel. Kamala isn't as constrained as you're implying. She's compromised by AIPAC.

spacer.png

Then vote for Trump and see how that goes for you. Progressives can be so ******* miserable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 20

8 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Kamala can definitely be a force of change here, but it seems like she's essentially going to be a typical post-Carter Democrat rather than try to do anything outside the box.

There's absolutely nothing in her resume that points to that. Tokenism is a real thing. As Ride said she's still the most sane option with a shot to beat Trump, but y'all have 0 progressive candidates. Kamala/Biden can't even retain what has been conquered after years of struggle, much less change anything

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

And they know this!

I fee llike the words are being chosen carefully - they're referring to conflict with Iran and Iran-backed groups. She has been pretty clear in her claim for a ceasefire and to end the suffering of Gazans

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, on the line said:

Then vote for Trump and see how that goes for you. Progressives can be so ******* miserable. 

I'm voting for Kamala, but we have to be honest. It's not all brat and coconut memes in politics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1) as always, genocide is wrong as is what the Israeli government is doing to the Palestinians. 

2) She has stated that she is against an arms embargo - currently. There are other ways to put strain on a countries government to get them to fold. I don't agree with not placing some sort of embargo/restrictions on Israel since they've been doing some horrible things. It does seem as though there's a mess being stirred up and a lot of it is aimed at Israel so they may need to actually defend themselves against stronger forces than just Hamas. 

3) While I'm not 100% sure, it does seem as though there's some sort of understanding or agreement that the US government has with the government of Israel. I'm wondering if she doesn't know the ins/outs and wants to kind of keep the status quo until she knows more? It could also be that whatever deal we have is somewhat ironclad and support isn't really an option. 

4) Can we get some unbiased sources please?

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/07/us/politics/harris-israel-gaza-war-protests.html

This source from two days ago makes it sound like there's some sort of hope that some action will be taken. Unfortunately - provided she wins - Kamala won't really be able to get anything moving until she takes office. 

Again, I'm anti-genocide and **** the Israeli government for doing this to the Palestinians. The sad truth though is that right now she is the best possible option to vote for if any change is going to come. I hope it won't be too late if/when that change does arrive. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, on the line said:

You sound miserable and unstable. 

Anyway, not sure why people are surprised by this. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry as much as I detest Israel, this is expected. They've been the US's only ally in the region for 40 years. People who have spoken out against them have been primaried and had millions spent on an opposition candidate. A lot of the pro Palestine protesters I see on the internet are very performative too. One of them tried to interrupt her rally a few days ago, she shut them down and then people started whining about it when I've never seen these protesters go after the other side of the isle. She's mad rational criticism of extremists in the movement and you guys whine about it. Why aren't these hecklers at trump or Vance rally's? This is starting to give the same 2016 performative activism I've heard criticism from so much,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yeah this was implied she would still fund Israel anyone who thought otherwise was delusional 

Not a reason to not cast a vote for her, when she's standing up for so much good in other aspects. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

25 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

if you ever think there will be a us president or general us stance against israel

It's literally against US law to continue supplying Israel with weapons after being found to have committed war crimes. Biden is literally right now in violation of the Leahy Law. :rip:

Edited by Communion
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bjorn said:

Not a reason to not cast a vote for her, when she's standing up for so much good in other aspects. 

19 minutes ago, Harriser said:

You all have known this would be the position regardless of the VP pick, regardless of whether it was Biden or Kamala (or frankly any other democrat short of a squad member). Stop acting brand new.

It's the United States, even if Kamala was the most secretly pro-Palestine woman ever she'd still have to take this position or she'd tank against Trump. Look at the polling on this issue. Any room for change on this is only really possible when she is no longer Biden's Vice President, and when she's not in a federal election cycle.

4 minutes ago, bjorn said:

Why is it always users not from America making these insane claims like the above?

The vast majority of people who aren't Republicans want an arms embargo and a ceasefire. 

Biden's stance on Israel is unpopular. Thus Harris' will be too of she copies his? :deadbanana4:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Communion said:

It's literally against US law to continue supplying Israel with weapons. Biden is literally right now in violation of the Leahy Law. :rip:

Except the US government doesn't consider what Israel is doing a violation of human rights

1 minute ago, Communion said:

Why is it always users not from America making these insane claims like the above?

The vast majority of people who aren't Republicans want an arms embargo and a ceasefire. 

Biden's stance on Israel is unpopular. Thus Harris' will be too of she copies his? :deadbanana4:

So they should cast a vote for Trump then? 

Problem solved :ryan3:

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.