Halsey threatens to retire from music

Saintlor

From her Tumblr:

The truth is that I am learning a lesson right now.

And this experience is too familiar. Aside from the few remaining friends and family I have in my life, there was another portion of people who reacted to my sickness in two different ways. The first decided it was too heavy and they didn't even wanna touch it and they disappeared. The second was angry with me that I was too sick to TAKE from anymore so they were cruel to me instead. I was SO lonely. I went to treatment alone. So many times. I sat there wishing I would talk to someone or tell someone or ask for help. I just can't help but feel like that's happening all over again here, in this part of my life. I dedicated 12 years of my life to connecting with people and helping them. Thousands of people told me l "saved their life" and then I returned to those same people only to hear that they don't care that I almost lost mine. What a reveal. I can't explain in words the misery and suffering of those years.

Hating myself and blaming myself for "ruining everything". I worked so hard to be here and I had to stop because of something against my will.
And now I'm back. And I know you don't like the song and that's okay because you don't have to like everything I make. That's not why I make it. Imade it to tell my story. But what I can't get past is the disconnect. You know what I learned yesterday? I learned that only 1% of my active fans have even bothered to listen to the song. But the conversation about me is SO loud and SO wicked and it's coming from a MUCH larger percentage than that. So right now there's millions of people who call themselves my fans who are just ripping into me, and barely any of them have even bothered to check out the song.

It's not about the music, it's about me as a concept and as a projection for some of my fans to rip to shreds. But it's not about the music anymore. And I can't do this if it's not about the music anymore. I'm too weak, I'm too ******* tired, and you're right. I'm not who l used to be.
I'm different now. Because I went through a life altering experience that almost killed me, and killed off some parts of me instead. I really thought returning to the thing I love would make me feel better but it doesn't at all. And I'm SO sorry to those of you who are so kind and supportive and lovely and incredible and I wish I could hug you and thank you. But this is a mess.

It's a ******* mess. I'm gonna keep moving forward because I worked too hard on this album to walk away. But once it's all said and done it might be said and done. I hope things get better and I can enjoy sharing this album with those of them have even bothered to check out the song.
It's not about the music, it's about me as a concept and as a projection for some of my fans to rip to shreds. But it's not about the music anymore. And I can't do this if it's not about the music anymore. I'm too weak, I'm too ******* tired, and you're right. I'm not who l used to be.

I'm different now. Because I went through a life altering experience that almost killed me, and killed off some parts of me instead. I really thought returning to the thing I love would make me feel better but it doesn't at all. And I'm SO sorry to those of you who are so kind and supportive and lovely and incredible and I wish I could hug you and thank you. But this is a mess.

It's a ******* mess. I'm gonna keep moving forward because I worked too hard on this album to walk away. But once it's all said and done it might be said and done. I hope things get better and I can enjoy sharing this album with those of you who are left.

Edited by Saintlor

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Where are you now?

• dumbsparce

• Mr_campbell

• Onyxmage

This is… messy. But her disease does mess with emotions. I guess she's disappointed by the lack of attention compared to her Capitol years on top of the online criticism. She seems to have data and maybe the label has had a talk about it. It must be stressful. Just drop the album, do not extend the rollout too much. Halsey is just not an artist people would tune in for a personal album about her health struggles. Same with her pregnancy album/film. People are not invested in her celebrity like that. She made sort of anonymous radio bops that smashed and had a core fanbase. She needs to keep on moving and doing the music she wants, but knowing that radio and audiences won't side with her as with easy bops like without me or bad at love

• Like 11

People are weird, leave her alone

• Like 4

The world before:

spacer.png

The world after:

spacer.png

• Haha 14
  • Thumbs Down 1

You know what I learned yesterday? I learned that only 1% of my active fans have even bothered to listen to the song. But the conversation about me is SO loud and SO wicked and it's coming from a MUCH larger percentage than that. So right now there's millions of people who call themselves my fans who are just ripping into me, and barely any of them have even bothered to check out the song.

It's not about the music, it's about me as a concept and as a projection for some of my fans to rip to shreds. 

She has a point. Being under constant scrutiny must be really tough.

• Like 5

oh honey i am so not threatened by you 

spacer.png

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Her post reminds me of Michelle Branch's message board rant. I hope Halsey finds happiness. 

• Haha 1

TMI. Does she have some kind of personality disorder?

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 6

I havent seen any hard criticism about the song at all. I think she imagined the song was gonna do good but since its not + her depression and sickness are making her react like this.

I loved her last album from the concept to the music, she just needs to release quality stuff

Edited by artc0cx
  • Like 3

i think she was expecting more attention and sympathy but that doesn't translate to success

She's going through a lot, I think her emotions are all over the place. Stans are horrible, but they have always been, she's just focusing more in the negative 

I think she should drop whatever she cooked and work in her health and personal development 

She shouldn't be reading anything online if she's going through that much emotionally

• Like 6

TMI - but, still, she's right...

I hope she finds happiness in whatever way seems fit for her. If that means quitting the industry then so be it. I also hope our shared fave Britney didn't contribute to her coming to this point.

1 minute ago, dumbsparce said:

I also hope our shared fave Britney didn't contribute to her coming to this point.

she did not and shame on you to even suggesting it. 

• Thumbs Down 5

5 minutes ago, shyboi said:

she did not and shame on you to even suggesting it. 

Oh pls. Someone bringing unnecessary negative attention your way can definitely mess up your emotions. Especially when you're a celeb with millions of followers and already at a vulnerable state. Stop being a child. Britney is allowed to make mistakes, just like everybody else.

Edited by dumbsparce

I truly feel sorry for her and what she's been through. But she needs to log off, the internet is not doing her any good and people won't change. Either quit or endure it. It's sad but it is what it is.

• Like 3

i kinda do get where she's coming from but I honestly think she just needs to have some sort of focus group with her core fans because I dont think even SHE knows what she wants to be

when she first came out with Badlands it was clear she was trying to occupy the same space as Lana and Marina, then she got a couple of faceless radio hits and now she's kind of stuck in an inbetween limbo where she still wants to be seen as this Lana/Marina type of artistry but with the chart success of Closer.. and you kinda just can't have both im afraid :rip: 

• Like 3

It would probably be best for her health, no offense but she doesn't seem to be in the best headspace for the music business (which is understandable)

Why do people hate her so much? This social media era for celebrities is sooo toxic. She should stay off social media and let the music speak for itself.

I genuinely like 'Lucky' and the message behind it. I never been the biggest fan of her music outside of the singles, but as someone with an auto-immune disease I understand her completely. I hope she finds her happiness soon, she deserves it. 

• Like 1

"threatens" who?

:suburban:

Please Be true 🙏 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, StonedSoulPicnic said:

Her post reminds me of Michelle Branch's message board rant. I hope Halsey finds happiness. 

Same! My brain went right back to 2005 when I read Halsey's post Haha

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.