SAG-AFTRA staging strike in video gaming industry

DAP

https://deadline.com/2024/07/sag-aftra-strike-video-game-companies-1236020355/

SAG-AFTRA is going on strike again.

This time, the union is calling a work stoppage against the major video game companies after nearly two years of trying to renegotiate its Interactive Media Agreement. The decision to hit the picket lines comes 10 months after the union's initial strike authorization vote. The strike goes into effect July 26 at 12:01 a.m.

The 10 companies facing the strike are Activision Productions Inc., Blindlight LLC, Disney Character Voices Inc., Electronic Arts Productions Inc., Epic Games, Inc., Formosa Interactive LLC, Insomniac Games Inc., Take 2 Productions Inc., VoiceWorks Productions Inc., and WB Games Inc.

"We're not going to consent to a contract that allows companies to abuse A.I. to the detriment of our members. Enough is enough. When these companies get serious about offering an agreement our members can live — and work — with, we will be here, ready to negotiate," SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher said in a statement.

Last week, the SAG-AFTRA National Board voted to put the power to call the strike in the hands of National Executive Director and Chief Negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland — a notable move and an early indicator that the union was preparing to finally make good on their repeated threats to walk away from the table.

In a statement of his own, Crabtree-Ireland said: "The video game industry generates billions of dollars in profit annually. The driving force behind that success is the creative people who design and create those games. That includes the SAG-AFTRA members who bring memorable and beloved game characters to life, and they deserve and demand the same fundamental protections as performers in film, television, streaming, and music: fair compensation and the right of informed consent for the A.I. use of their faces, voices, and bodies. Frankly, it's stunning that these video game studios haven't learned anything from the lessons of last year – that our members can and will stand up and demand fair and equitable treatment with respect to A.I., and the public supports us in that."

YAAAAASSSSSS LETS GOOOOOOOOO

spacer.png

Edited by DAP
  • Like 2

I hope production crew members are next 

• Like 1

:clap3: especially since I don't play any games by those companies

This is a great thing. Many of the companies listed are the usual suspects for shitty corporate practices, so stick it to them 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.