Why we'll never see the old Katy Perry again

Strawberry Bubble

The Katy Perry of the past will never be able to come back, especially because today's world is very different from the one she became popular in. Part of her charm back then was her simplicity and fun. She was like an avatar: easy to understand, entertaining, and catchy, without being too complex or controversial. For instance, in 2012, she said she wasn't a feminist, and that statement didn't cause as much of a stir as it would today.

Nowadays, politics and entertainment are more intertwined than ever. Everything you say or do can lead to either cancellation or glorification, with very little gray area, especially for those in the spotlight.

Katy Perry will never return to her former self because she was a product of a more carefree world—a world that was less complex, less polarized, and more focused on shallow fun.

• Like 13

we won't see the old katy again because she's making bad music not all that:coffee2:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I'm not sure... the world could use a bit of Pop escapism and I can tell people are starting to crave it again. Katheryn just didn't play her cards right.

• Like 1

so there's no demand for fun, mindless pop anymore? is that what you're saying?

Edited by Sprite

It was really easy to do TD2 now but she just destroyed her chances 

1 minute ago, Sprite said:

so there's no demand for fun, mindless pop anymore? is that what you're saying?

no demand for katy perry is what the op is trying to say

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

the katy we're seeing today is the "old katy". she's always been cringe and her music has always been panned. the difference now is that people dgaf about her

• Thanks 2

I see it. BUT I feel like Chappell is doing something similar to what Katy was 2008-2012.

• Confused 1

Sabrina is kinda picking up where she left off. The problem with this brand of popstar (at least for their longevity) is that they're very reliant on youth and easily replaceable. She would be doing better if she released a somewhat decent song without a PR nightmare attached to it though, no doubt. It's actually the move to make her song political that shot her in the foot. 

• Like 2

True but she could have done it so easily :gaycattel: Chained To The Rythm was a start.

1 minute ago, Raphy23 said:

I see it. BUT I feel like Chappell is doing something similar to what Katy was 2008-2012.

But Chappell supports her music with a strong queer identity and an inclusive message. It's not just fun, mindless music.

1 minute ago, Strawberry Bubble said:

But Chappell supports her music with a strong queer identity and an inclusive message. It's not just fun, mindless music.

Ok yes you're right. It's the music style that brings me back to 2010. but as a person she's not like old Katy at all.

3 minutes ago, Raphy23 said:

Other than name dropping Katy once or twice Chappell really doesn't have anything in common with her :dies: It would be a jumpscare if Chappell dropped the alt pop vibe and went full Katy/radio fodder

No, you'll never see her because Bonnie isn't writing for her anymore. Listen to her latest album if you want TD2

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Strawberry Bubble said:

Sabrina is much more comparable to Katy. 

Literally all she needed to do was some Espresso type song, how hard can it be

• Like 1

People wanted a bit of nostalgia, a carefree bop and all she had to do was deliver. Instead she released a faux female empowerment anthem produced by Dr Luke.

She's got Stockholm syndrome with flopping.

Times change. One of my highschool employees at work didn't even know who Katy Perry was:rip: Just the song names when they play on the speakers. Made me feel old. I just think her time is over, and lowkey has been since 2017

That and the fact that she's so dumb but, at the end it's her choices, she decides who to work with and what type of music so the state of her career is no one else's fault but hers.

I think left shark should not have done that thing they did lol. She got a bit… cheesy

a bit. after that.

And yeah, she should have been writing teenage dream 2.0 or espresso this whole time 😭

espresso is just say say-sso anyway so I'm sure Dr. Luke could have made that for her

the problem is that she believed whoever told her she was smart and funny 

• Haha 1

why are yall acting like she hasnt been flopping since like 2017 :ryan3:

The old Katy Perry would not go on vacation with Jeff Bezos 

carefree world—a world that was less complex, less polarized, and more focused on shallow fun.

Tbh every generation says this about their childhoods

Gen Z will say this in the future and use Espresso as an example :priceless:

• Like 1

This review I found about the Teenage Dream album got it right

"It felt like there was this urgent desire in the 2010s where there was this demand to insist that all famous women exist to be purely sexual creatures, in the scope of music, in the scope of film, in everything. I guess it doesn't matter anymore tho. Everything is sex and nobody is horny. Muscular ripped Marvel men glisten on movie screens and they choose to never explore romance or love. Portrayals of sex in music have shifted to cries of pain, as Adam Levine sings another song about how sex with this woman is mental torture to his being. Sex nowadays is talked about as if it's a disgusting act of animalistic instinct that humans need to overcome, and hearing a song like Peacock it isn't hard to disagree. Culture nowadays is the post-ejaculatory depression of us commodifying sex and distilling it like hard drugs. The demand of culture was sex everywhere all the time and every industry pumped it out as much as it can until the reserve went dry and we realized everyone was depressed, had body issues, and hated what these companies did for entertainment. So now they backpedal and sell us body positivity as a way to try and recoup the losses. Leaving remnants like the California Girls video behind like an old playboy in a thrift store."

Katy can't be culturally relevant nowadays if she keeps oversexualizing herself and mixing it with cringe millenial humour and extremely corporate pop songs that Ava Max fans won't even touch

Edited by Alaska.
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.