Confessions on a Dance Floor: The most spectacular comeback?

MP3

On a global scale definitely.

Hung Up being such a worldwide smash in 40+ countries, Confessions making top 2 year end in Europe, Sorry being another worldwide smash for her

The other girlies were mad mad

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MP3

• Charmed Life

• Poncho Barlliams

• suburbannature

46 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

The Emancipation of Mimi is forever the comeback of all comebacks

US yes, WW no

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, naval23 said:

On a global scale definitely.

Hung Up being such a worldwide smash in 40+ countries, Confessions making top 2 year end in Europe, Sorry being another worldwide smash for her

The other girlies were mad mad

Meanwhile Emancipation did that but for the entire globe. 

and again, what did Madonna "come back" from? Her biggest tour of all-time in 2004? :rip: 

• Thanks 1

Just now, suburbannature said:

Chartmasters' methodology is something entirely unique from album equivalent units and he took millions of Believe sales (approx 5 million) from separate greatest hits sales for Cher. And he's continually proven to be inaccurate and has admitted on his own site to guesstimating with a margin of error in the millions.

The way you're using a source that you don't even understand?? :ahh: 

even if you take away those 5M its still more than Mimi :suburban:proven to be inaccurate by? You have no source to back up that Mimi is bigger  than CODAF, yet alone Believe so youre left with passive agressive emojis i guess.

• Haha 3

Just now, Kimi said:

even if you take away those 5M its still more than Mimi :suburban:proven to be inaccurate by? You have no source to back up that Mimi is bigger  than CODAF, yet alone Believe so youre left with passive agressive emojis i guess.

meanwhile you literally used the first passive-aggressive emote when calling me strange. 

That's just one aspect of his methodology (that you clearly don't understand) - he implements figures from various other sources separate from the actual album units and that includes greatest hits album sales. At the end of the day, all three of these albums did approx 10 million WW no matter how much you complain or inaccurately cite a fan site.

• Thanks 1

Nobody will ever top Tina Turner's comeback, but it's cute that people in this thread are talking about Madonna and Mariah.

Tina_Turner_Private_Dancer_US_CD_cover_a

She was abused, on food stamps, and cleaning people's houses. Then she went her butt off performing in hotels and guesting on Hollywood Squares to claw her way back to the top.

Edited by The7thStranger
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Just now, suburbannature said:

meanwhile you literally used the first passive-aggressive emote when calling me strange. 

That's just one aspect of his methodology (that you clearly don't understand) - he implements figures from various other sources separate from the actual album units and that includes greatest hits album sales. At the end of the day, all three of these albums did approx 10 million WW no matter how much you complain or inaccurately cite a fan site.

and if believe was able to generate those high compilation stats thats even stronger argument for the era being a bigger comeback, cher had very inconsistent career. its just bigger, idk what to tell you. your stanning is blinding you.

1 minute ago, The7thStranger said:

Nobody will ever top Tina Turner's comeback, but it's cute that people in this thread are talking about Madonna and Mariah.

She was abused, on food stamps, and cleaning people's houses. Then she went her butt off performing in hotels and guesting on Hollywood Squares to claw her way back to the top.

ok and Mariah was cleaning floors in the psych ward she was trapped in. Tina ain't special

:suburban:

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, The7thStranger said:

wait i forgot about her, now youre right she had the biggest one

• Like 1

Just now, Kimi said:

and if believe was able to generate those high compilation stats thats even stronger argument for the era being a bigger comeback, cher had very inconsistent career. its just bigger, idk what to tell you. your stanning is blinding you.

No, your fuming from your piss takes in the album list thread being laughed at by everyone is making you try and fail in here. 

To summarize for you, all three albums did similar numbers globally. Mariah actually came from much deeper lows - hence "comeback" - and We Belong Together has the most streams of all three songs for 2024 thus far this year.

Best of luck next time, dear. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Miichael said:

It was definitely an impressive comeback, but it hadn't really been that long since she had a big era with Music. American Life and it's political tone didn't effect her in the same way that it did with the Dixie Chicks, mostly the GP just didn't connect with the music. Madonna was still a huge act before Confessions era, AL was just a commercial lull.

And as a stan, not even being biased, but Britney's comeback with Circus was super impressive for the fact that merely months earlier she had probably the most well documented and extreme public "downfall" of any celebrity and most people had her out for the count. Not many people predicted that she would return to the top of pop music and do it so quickly (even though we know in hindsight that it was pretty much forced upon her).

American Life could have been a certain end of her commercial success tbh, the way she rebounded after that is what makes it spectacular, I mean it is probably her biggest peak outside the 80's

And for Britney, it's not about the biggest but how many she has, I mean she went so many things but she was always capable to comeback somehow, it's impressive 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

ok and Mariah was cleaning floors in the psych ward she was trapped in. Tina ain't special

I mean, let's be real for a minute. Madonna's flop era still had a hit single, a controversial and iconic VMA performance, a massively successful world tour, and a documentary.

Mariah had her emotional and mental health struggles, but careerwise, she hadn't fully xactly hit the skids. But I don't want to get into the victim Olympics with pre-comback Tina Turner. That'd be like bringing an atomic bomb into a knife fight.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Alongoria13 said:

? Madonna never left, she had the highest grossing tour of 2004 please :rip:

She was starting to be considered as a nostalgic act back then, even the RIT was kinda labeled as a best of tour, her performance with Britney and Christina was a celebration of her more than an active singer kind of thing, it could have been bad for Madonna after AL, she could have never really recovered from that era, but she did with a smashing song, a smashing album and a smashing tour and this is why it makes it so spectacular 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

I mean, let's be real for a minute. Madonna's flop era still had a hit single, a controversial and iconic VMA performance, a massively successful world tour, and a documentary.

Mariah had her emotional and mental health struggles, but careerwise, she hadn't fully xactly hit the skids. But I don't want to get into the victim Olympics with pre-comback Tina Turner. That'd be like bringing an atomic bomb into a knife fight.

Huh? Glitter was an enormous bomb and public laughingstock to the point that the label bought her out for millions to avoid losses. And the film is considered one of the biggest film flops of all-time. Charmbracelet flopped just as hard. Her career was in the gutter and she was a literal mainstream news punching bag.

I do agree, though, that Tina is an actual comeback unlike some other names floated here. That's a viable option too.

Edited by suburbannature
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MP3 said:

She was starting to be considered as a nostalgic act back then, even the RIT was kinda labeled as a best of tour, her performance with Britney and Christina was a celebration of her more than an active singer kind of thing, it could have been bad for Madonna after AL, she could have never really recovered from that era, but she did with a smashing song, a smashing album and a smashing tour and this is why it makes it so spectacular 

Yeah her public image was tragic around then but the Madonna brand was still in full force commercial wise, with COAD she went from 7 to 10. Mariah and Cher had it way worse  IMO. To me, Madonna's comeback was the Super Bowl, which gave her the highest grossing tour of 2012, put her on the spotlight and got a new wave of fans, something that probably didn't happen again until 2024's Brazil show :rip:

Edited by Alongoria13
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

No, your fuming from your piss takes in the album list thread being laughed at by everyone is making you try and fail in here. 

lmao laughed by everyone like are you ok? how old are you? am i talking to a child, or just regina george gay 

mariah2003.thumb.gif.14076bc737526b6918e

• Haha 9

No, this album solidified Madonna's status as a legacy act. Hung Up was only successful because of the ABBA sample everything else bombed 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

6 minutes ago, Kimi said:

lmao laughed by everyone like are you ok? how old are you? am i talking to a child, or just regina george gay 

mariah2003.thumb.gif.14076bc737526b6918e

Mind you, you gave the first personal attack in this convo. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Mind you, you gave the first personal attack in this convo. 

i called you strange cause that's how you behave fighting for this random ass album as if your career depended on it using dated humor. that was strange honey

spacer.png

• Haha 4

WHATever

1. Tina

2. Cher 

3. Madonna

4. Mariah

you can do what you want with this information but numbers never lie 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Kimi said:

i called you strange cause that's how you behave fighting for this random ass album as if your career depended on it using dated humor. that was strange honey

spacer.png

So then don't cry about someone dragging you right after you did it :rip: 

When your stats aren't real so you have to call people "strange." Screaming.

2 minutes ago, Kimi said:

WHATever

1. Tina

2. Cher 

3. Madonna

4. Mariah

you can do what you want with this information but numbers never lie 

spacer.png

"the numbers" being Chartmasters, mischaracterized by you, and irrelevant to the topic at hand when those three albums moved 10 million units each.

You also said WBT was the least remembered of each and then quickly changed the topic when the YTD streaming stats were mentioned. 

• Thanks 1

Horizon Flame

No. She had a hit with Music, a slump two years later, and then a hit again. That's not enough time to call anything a comeback. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horizon Flame
28 minutes ago, LanaDelRey said:

No, this album solidified Madonna's status as a legacy act. Hung Up was only successful because of the ABBA sample everything else bombed 

That's 100% accurate. That sample is everything. The rest of the album is forgettable. It was damage control. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.