Confessions on a Dance Floor: The most spectacular comeback?

MP3

Since when is this considered a comeback? American Life was never a Charmbracelet/Glitter/Bionic.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MP3

• Charmed Life

• Poncho Barlliams

• suburbannature

AL had hits so im not sure. 

COADF is def one of the greatest (pop) albums released during my

lifetime 

13 hours ago, Poncho Barlliams said:

It's funny how Madonna fans want to make MX a commercial success, just because it sold a little more than Caution.

At the end of the day, both are within what is expected for two veteran artists with more than 30 years of career.

The only difference is the fact that Caution is better than anything by Madonna since 2008.

:lmao:No, the difference is that's your opinion. The reality is Madonna detractors working in the media and on social media tried to influence and dictate what the GP should / shouldnt be listening to, and it wasn't her. She has never really been loved by the media anyway, but the reviews for everything she released since 2012 has felt more like a personal vendetta rather than an actual review. Unlike Mariah, Madonna doesn't have fans working at Billboard and outlets inflating ratings and giving 5* reviews for subpar albums. She also doesn't believe in payola or blowing her own trumpet.

Madonna (in 2019) was a 61 year old Woman getting a #2 chart placing with an album that didn't cater to the wider publics taste. Mariah was 50 in that year, and released the same generic music she's been doing since 2000. It went to #5 in the US, but the rest of the world cared very little. At Mariah's age, Madonna had a worldwide #1 single and album and went on to score the biggest tour by a female artist, and she held that record for 15 years until Taylor broke it.

Edited by Charmed Life

11 hours ago, stevyy said:

Just 8 months ago she finished a 16 dates tour which grossed $30 million in revenue. (It was her biggest tour by revenue in regards to individual show gross). Not too shabby for the Xmas lady. Her current residency show The Celebration of Mimi will end with 24 shows, but twice the gross than the 50-dates residency Infinity from 2015-2017.

I can concede that Madonna is eons bigger than Mariah in touring and bigger in albums sales and currently even bigger in streaming. I can also concede that Madonna is eons bigger in Europe and South America. 

I find it so odd that so many Madonna stans in contrast have to resort to inuendo when discussing Mariah, often claiming the woman never had a hit, is unknown, has never done anything... and still it's so odd that she sold 150 million albums and over 100 million singles worldwide and became one of the top 3 biggest female entities in music in the world. So weird how someone who's always flopped like that and only has bad, unlistenable music... found an audience so big and for decades that she became a trailblazer herself. 

But that is so unthinkable for a Madonna fan to admit

Is it?

I will always give Mariah her flowers when she deserves them, but not when fans twist to their advantage and put words into my mouth to gain points.

This may shock you, but I'll be gracious and say I agree with you about Mariah doing better in touring these days, but being a realist, there's no way she could compete in that department.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but the second part (I quoted) is correct, but getting you to admit that was like pulling teeth. I'm pleased you got there in the end. 

Re the third paragraph, I have not said Mariah never had a hit, is unknown, made bad unlisteable music (thoughout her career) or done anything. I said she was bigger than Madonna in the US and a few other territories, and that she made some excellent music between 1990-2000. The first 5 albums are magic, but she really did lose her knack of making great music after The Butterfly album. Rainbow had it's moments, but a lot of it was filler. TEOM was a rough diamond amongst the dirt and rubble.

I'm not saying Madonna didn't stop making great music either, but that didn't happen until 2012 and by that point we had 30 years of good music behind us.

Edited by Charmed Life

1 hour ago, Charmed Life said:

Is it?

I will always give Mariah her flowers when she deserves them, but not when fans spin facts to their advantage and put words into my mouth to gain points.

This may shock you, but I'll be gracious and say I agree with you about Mariah doing better in touring these days, but being a realist, there's no way she could suddenly start competing and rivaling Madonna in that department.

Nobody is saying she is competing with Madonna in the touring department. It's all in your head, bebe gorl. 

However, your sweet sweet Fantasy of Mariah performing in parking lots is not IT, sweety. 

Mariah enjoys her occasional MSG show in the US and her occasional festival somewhere else. 

I mean just a common-sense approach here... if all you said was true and Mariah Carey was unknown, had 0 hits, bad music etc... shouldn't she then be on the same level as Jessica Simpson? Shouldn't she then more realistically work a day job at a beauté salon somewhere?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stevyy said:

Nobody is saying she is competing with Madonna in the touring department. It's all in your head, bebe gorl. 

However, your sweet sweet Fantasy of Mariah performing in parking lots is not IT, sweety. 

Mariah enjoys her occasional MSG show in the US and her occasional festival somewhere else. 

I mean just a common-sense approach here... if all you said was true and Mariah Carey was unknown, had 0 hits, bad music etc... shouldn't she then be on the same level as Jessica Simpson? Shouldn't she then more realistically work a day job at a beauté salon somewhere?

I didn't say that either, or even imply she was on Jessica Simpsons level. Once again you're putting words in my mouth and almost having a cardiac over it.  I suggest you take time out because this thread is clearly having a bad effect on you, Sweety.  :foxaylove2:

the answer to this topic

Edited by Poncho Barlliams
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Poncho Barlliams said:

the answer to this topic

The correct answer is Tina Turner's Private Dancer followed by Cher's Believe.

Mariah is way down on the list.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, stevyy said:

I agree... They only used 1 section out of an entire stadium there... which probably still held 8k-10k. 

It was a show for 35~40 thousand people, a country music festival, it wasn't their target audience.

https://rollingstone.com.br/noticia/mariah-carey-no-brasil-relembre-a-passagem-da-diva-por-barretos/

"Two days after arriving in São Paulo, the artist went to Barretos, where she performed to an estimated audience of 35 thousand people. Known for being a traditionally country party, Mariah was not exactly the artist that part of the public expected to see at the Festa de Peão. The singer was even booed at times. Tickets were not sold out either."

https://noticias.uol.com.br/festa-peao-barretos/ultimas-noticias/2010/08/22/mariah-carey-canta-grandes-sucessos-e-reune-tribos-em-barretos-sp.jhtm

"The show, scheduled to start at midnight this Sunday (22), was delayed by 1h30. The audience, of approximately 40 thousand people, was already booing when Mariah Carey took the stage at the Festa do Peão de Barretos (SP) and started singing the hit "Shake It Off".

"They had to bring Shania [Twain, the North American country muse], not Mariah, who keeps disturbing the lives of the competitors with so many security measures. Does she think she's in her country?" said student Cecília Leite Martins, 18, who came from Potirendaba, in the interior of São Paulo, with her boyfriend, who is a rodeo competitor."

9 hours ago, dumbsparce said:

Since when is this considered a comeback? American Life was never a Charmbracelet/Glitter/Bionic.

It was not a ROL or Music neither 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poncho Barlliams said:

the answer to this topic

If COADF had the same support from the US as TEOM, its overall streaming would be higher for sure

12 hours ago, dumbsparce said:

None of those were considered a comeback as big as Private Dancer and Believe either.

3 minutes ago, Charmed Life said:

None of those were considered a comeback as big as Private Dancer and Believe either.

.. that's bc all those albums were colossal bombs. Idk what you're trying to say here. American Life was polarizing but nowhere near career-ending as it is being depicted. The title track, Hollywood and Love Profusion were huge hits, or at least that's how I perceived them back then.

35 minutes ago, Charmed Life said:

lol believe was not a comeback album, it was cher's only 2nd successful, so she never had expectations to come back big.

1 hour ago, dumbsparce said:

.. that's bc all those albums were colossal bombs. Idk what you're trying to say here. American Life was polarizing but nowhere near career-ending as it is being depicted. The title track, Hollywood and Love Profusion were huge hits, or at least that's how I perceived them back then.

:rip:

Tina and Ike Turner debuted in the 60s, but Tina had to constantly put on a brave face and sing after being beaten to a pulp by her vile husband. This was Tina's everyday life until she got up and walked out. She was pretty much written off until she came back and scored huge global hits, resulting in her being one of was one of the most successful female acts of the 80s. Her touring stats are no joke either.

When did I say American Life was career ending?  Madonna's comeback was Ray of Light after the Erotica / Sex book backlash. AL was a walk in the park compared to the vitriol she received with Erotica.

A perfect example of a collosal bomb is that mess of an album known as Bubonic, not Glitter (which if memory serves correct, spawned a #2 hit). Try again, love.

Edited by Charmed Life

1 hour ago, NoAngelus said:

lol believe was not a comeback album, it was cher's only 2nd successful, so she never had expectations to come back big.

It took 25 years for her to get another US #1 hit single after Dark Lady in 1973. She hasn't troubled the Billboard hot 100 top 10 since Just Like Jessie James in 89.

Weirdly, she hasn't had a #1 or top 10 single since Believe either.

Edited by Charmed Life

7 minutes ago, Charmed Life said:

It took her 25 years for her to get another US #1 hit single after Dark Lady in 1973. She hasn't troubled the Billboard hot 100 top 10 since Just Like Jessie James in 89.

Weirdly, she hasn't had a #1 or top 10 single since Believe either.

It was more of a fluke than a comeback. 

Almost 12 pages.. I guess it really is 

tumblr_mg47elNty91ql5yr7o1_500.gif 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MP3 said:

If COADF had the same support from the US as TEOM, its overall streaming would be higher for sure

COADF has no support from any market, Europe doesn't seem to remember that this album exists.

• Thumbs Down 1

Cher has charted on the Billboard Album Chart while in her Teens 20's 30's 40's 50s 60s and 70s. 

Album Sample- 

#16 All I Really Want To Do 1965 age 19

#2 for 8 weeks Sonny and Cher Look At Us 1965 age 19

#16 Gypsys Tramps and Thieves 1971 age 25

#14 Sonny and Cher All I Ever Need Is You 1972 age 25

#25 Take Me Home 1979 age 32 

#10 Heart Of Stone 1989 age 43 

#4 Believe 1998 age 52 

#3 Closer To The Truth 2013 age 67 

#32 Christmas 2023 age 77 

Cher has charted on the Billboard Hot 100 while in her Teens 20's 30's 40's 50s and 70s. 

Edited by MichaelW

On 7/23/2024 at 5:55 PM, MP3 said:

Charts say otherwise

confessions is WAY bigger than the emancipation of mimi

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, dumbsparce said:

Hollywood and Love Profusion were huge hits, or at least that's how I perceived them back then.

In a parallel reality these songs were big hits, I Know What You Want was a solid hit.

Mariah Carey stans trying to come for Madonna's success in Europe :ahh: :ahh: :ahh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poncho Barlliams said:

COADF has no support from any market, Europe doesn't seem to remember that this album exists.

The only weakness of COADF is its US streams, if it was as the same level as TEOM, it would out stream it by a big margin

• Haha 1

Cher had a Good Comeback with her song Believe. In 1998 The Cher Effect changed music forever.

Cher is the 3rd oldest female to have a #1 song on the Billboard Hot 100. 1999 Believe age 52.

In 2023/24, At 79, Brenda Lee reached #1 with with Rockin Around the Christmas Tree 

Recorded in 1958 

In 2023 Mariah Carey reached #1 with All I Want For Christmas Is You 

Recorded in 1994 

Cher had a Top 10 in 1989/1990 with Just Like Jesse James, age 44, this song gave Cher a Top 10 in the 60s 70s 80s and 90s. 

In 1999 Believe gave Cher a Top 10 song while in her Teens 20's 30's 40's and 50's 

* Uncredited, but in 2023 at age 82, Dionne Warwick and Friend Doja Cat reached #1 with Paint The Town Red

Edited by MichaelW

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.