Aubrey O'Day on DK3 album: Wish i got paid from it..

teenagecraze

so The Stereotypes have been getting the royalties all this time... I thought the girls would see some money

The album flopped anyways, so I highly doubt she was missing out on any big checks. That's still trifling though.

I forgot that Aubrey got bopped by Dawn:rip:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lemonade was a bop and great lead single. That fued really kileld the era.

1 hour ago, itshyolee said:

The album flopped anyways, so I highly doubt she was missing out on any big checks. That's still trifling though.

Whatever it was, I'm sure it was justified

spacer.png

• Haha 4

DK4 When coz i need the sequel to damaged tbh

I LOVE Aubrey and one thing I've always loved about her is she's real and what you see is what you get but ever since I saw her interview on Sofia Franklyn's podcast... eh...

• Like 1

And it gets messier...sigh. 

I will never totally forgive any of them for fumbling their comeback. Specifically, the DK4/DK3 era Aubrey is on about. 

And I blame ALL of them.

Aubrey = always at the center of EVERY mess to the extent that she has to be "the" problem. No way around it. She probably deserved that punch lol.

Dawn = much as Aubrey is too much, you don't punch someone and there exist any way to salvage the situation. I also have always gotten lone ranger vibes from her. She'll consistently do what best serves her at the time. I get it and it's probably why she's lasted so long in the industry, but it doesn't feel conducive to group dynamics nor group sustainability.

Shannon = The definition of a fairweather floater. It didn't present like she had much agency in the group from the start, so basically just went with whatever the domineering, beneficial, or most manipulative angle was - and that was Aubrey. I even liked Dumb Blonde conceptually, but I couldn't shake the vibe that it was started as a vanity project to keep Aubrey in the spotlight. It didn't even present like they paid particular attention to each other in the DK5/DK4 lineups and then magically became a duo after? Chile...

Aundrea = on several fronts, she didn't seem particularly invested in the reunion from the get-go. I can't speak to her mental, personal circumstances, or issues with the girls (I think I read alot about Aubrey being a thorn in her side), but I honestly wish she would have stuck it out at least for the comeback album. IN many ways her voice IS the glue.

At the same time, they are collectively such a force and so incredibly talented. I literally think they are "the" one supergroup we (the public) were cheated out of seeing become great.

I am a huge DC fan, but I think DK may have been **the** group to finally deliver on what En Vogue set the stage for: a supergroup in which EVERY member was triple A and a potential solo megastar in their own right. Powered up together and it's like an Avengers-like supergroup. 

In many ways their wings were clipped from the get-go given that Bad Boy and management never got behind them beyond the TV show. I just wish THEY (the members) knew the magic they were sitting on. Because another label/team would have gone all out for them. Hell, even indie, their fanbase was significant enough to **at least** be a touring *thing*.

Again, will never forgive them lol.

Edited by Cbreezy
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, itshyolee said:

Right…just what I was gonna say.  

The album didn't do anything but maybe top iTunes Charts at most.  They couldn't even promote it because they were too busy fighting lol.  

2 minutes ago, Cbreezy said:

And it gets messier...sigh. 

I will never totally forgive any of them for fumbling their comeback. Specifically, the DK4/DK3 era Aubrey is on about. 

And I blame ALL of them.

Aubrey = always at the center of EVERY mess to the extent that she has to be "the" problem. No way around it. She probably deserved that punch lol.

Dawn = much as Aubrey is too much, you don't punch someone and there exist any way to salvage the situation. I also have always gotten lone ranger vibes from her. She'll consistently do what best serves her at the time. I get it and it's probably why she's lasted so long in the industry, but it doesn't feel conducive to group dynamics nor group sustainability.

Shannon = The definition of a fairweather floater. It didn't present like she had much agency in the group from the start, so basically just went with whatever the domineering, beneficial, or most manipulative angle was - and that was Aubrey. I even liked Dumb Blonde conceptually, but I couldn't shake the vibe that it was started as a vanity project to keep Aubrey in the spotlight. It didn't even present like they paid particular attention to each other in the DK5/DK4 lineups and then magically become a duo after? Chile...

Aundrea = on several fronts, she didn't seem particularly invested in the reunion from the get-go. I can't speak to her mental, personal circumstances, or issues with the girls (I think I read alot about Aubrey being a thorn in her side), but she honestly wish she would have stuck it out at least for the comeback album. IN many ways her voice IS the glue.

At the same time, they are collectively such a force and so incredibly talented. I literally think they are "the" one supergroup we (the public) were cheated out of seeing become great.

I am a huge DC fan, but I think DK may have been **the** group to finally deliver on what En Vogue set the stage for: a supergroup in which EVERY member was triple A and a potential solo megastar in their own right. Powered up together and it's like an Avengers-like supergroup. 

In many ways their wings were clipped from the get-go given that Bad Boy and management never got behind them beyond the TV show. I just wish THEY (the members) knew the magic they were sitting on. Because another label/team would have gone all out for them. Hell, even indie, their fanbase was significant enough to **at least** be a touring *thing*.

Again, will never forgive them lol.

Agree.  I will say though, I feel like Dawn was a team player in the first iteration of DK.  She was the only person that didn't do any side ventures while still in the group.  

Dawn recording those demos for Diddy really set people off. But I don't think it was malicious, but she definitely could've communicated better though.  Knowing Diddy she probably didn't even get paid for that :skull: 

But yeah, after that…she does give the vibe of always looking out for self.  

And honestly that has kinda hurt her solo career too, how she constantly feels the need to control EVERYTHING.  I was so shocked when she left MBK Entertainment after only a few months working with them. :laugh:  I feel like having a strong manager would've done wonders for her career.  But she held on to the control too tightly.  Get the vibe she's the type that feels like she doesn't need any help now.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

Agree.  I will say though, I feel like Dawn was a team player in the first iteration of DK.  She was the only person that didn't do any side ventures while still in the group.  

Dawn recording those demos for Diddy really set people off. But I don't think it was malicious, but she definitely could've communicated better though.  Knowing Diddy she probably didn't even get paid for that :skull: 

But yeah, after that…she does give the vibe of always looking out for self.  

And honestly that has kinda hurt her solo career too, how she constantly feels the need to control EVERYTHING.  I was so shocked when she left MBK Entertainment after only a few months working with them. :laugh:  I feel like having a strong manager would've done wonders for her career.  But she held on to the control too tightly.  Get the vibe she's the type that feels like she doesn't need any help now.  

Agreed!

That whole recording BVs for Diddy thing was not a good look and either ignited distrust or exploded versions of it that were bubbling in the group already. That said, I don't think she or any of the members had much agency within what was a very controlled, manipulated, and money-starved setup nor did they have much industry experience to know how to navigate the group or industry shenanigans properly. In short, she and all the members were green af.

In general, I've always followed her solo run somewhat passively. So, for the longest just thought "oh, she's doing her thing on the indie circuit". But looking into things a bit more of late and it seems things have even cooled on that front. 

She was always more of a qualitative prospect artistically, but she actually hasn't been on an incline in that lane for quite a while and like you pointed out maybe it's because of the overt need to be in control. I've also personally heard ish about her fallouts with producers (ironically the ones at the helm of her more revered work).

:chick3:

I respect Aubrey for speaking up bc the other members will never be as confident or bold. However Aubrey, there was no way that album was going to be successful without all 4 members. Also Dawn hitting her ruined the whole er so essentially it was a breach of contract. They weren't going to make any money from that album to begin with. 

The reason why Dawn punched Aubrey in the back of her head is because Dawn claims she walked into the studio and found Aubrey & Shannon re-recording vocals and ad libs for their joint album they were going to do. Aubrey claims that wasn't the case but honestly, it's hard to believe her because the dumblonde album came out after this whole incident happened and they all seemed to want to move on from the situation as a whole.

she should do a flop nostalgia podcast like everyone else

26 minutes ago, mons†er said:

I respect Aubrey for speaking up bc the other members will never be as confident or bold. However Aubrey, there was no way that album was going to be successful without all 4 members. Also Dawn hitting her ruined the whole er so essentially it was a breach of contract. They weren't going to make any money from that album to begin with. 

The reason why Dawn punched Aubrey in the back of her head is because Dawn claims she walked into the studio and found Aubrey & Shannon re-recording vocals and ad libs for their joint album they were going to do. Aubrey claims that wasn't the case but honestly, it's hard to believe her because the dumblonde album came out after this whole incident happened and they all seemed to want to move on from the situation as a whole.

If the vocals is what set off the chain of events, I don't understand because Dawn was still very much the vocal lead on that album, so I don't buy the re-recording unless I'm missing something. 

25 minutes ago, Keeandga said:

If the vocals is what set off the chain of events, I don't understand because Dawn was still very much the vocal lead on that album, so I don't buy the re-recording unless I'm missing something. 

Dawn claims she was confronted by Aubrey and Shannon Bex about monopolizing the vocals on the album. Dawn then alleged the two told her they were needed in the studio the next day, but she decided to go in the day before. That's where she caught Aubrey and Shannon trying to lowkey add their vocals without her! Dawn recalled:

They told me we had the studio the next day, and they went in the day before. I walked in on them doing it, and I tried to confront them…I blacked out…I couldn't believe it. It's my fault, their fault, everybody.

https://hellobeautiful.com/2765648/dawn-richards-aubrey-oday-fight-and-danity-kane-split/

51 minutes ago, mons†er said:

IIRC, Dawn has said that Aubrey and Shannon were recording fresh leads and BVs for what we got as the DK3 album. A lot of which had to be tweaked/re-recorded anyway because of Aundrea's sudden departure (e.g. the All in a Day's Work DK4 version floating around). The confrontation and punch happened after a verbal altercation when Dawn effectively "caught" them in the act.

The vibe Dawn gave in the immediacy of the punching drama was that producers gravitated towards her (which isn't far-fetched given her talent, established indie profile, and creativity in the studio) and that rubbed Aubrey especially the wrong way.

Effectively a story of power struggle and jealousy.

One thing they have all said, which actually aligns with all of their respective "sides", is that they never shook off the competitiveness or distrust from the show and early eras. It was both cancerous and insidious and ate them from the inside out

I can't say I'm even annoyed with the producers for just releasing it; they probably had to put up with a lot of BS. I'm kinda confused at how there's any legal route by which the girls would be "barred" from making money from the album. Aubrey (who I actually like, despite how I may sound) is pretty good at telling skewed stories.  What I'm sure is actually the case is that the album was a flop (did we expect otherwise considering it was just tossed out) and thus didn't sell enough to recoup or turn any kind of profit. Bear in mind, even if it did sell by the bucketload, they'd still have all the splits to do (between the producers, distributor, and then the girls). They'd have been smart to look at the album as nothing more than a vehicle to tour and just stay on the road for the longest (as that's where all artists make their $$$).

• Thanks 1

Now I'm kinda pissed cause it none of the girls got paid they should've released the songs with Aundreas vocals. Especially AIADW and bye baby cause the those Dk3 versions were awful 

I know this flopped hard but in my head it somehow felt like a BIG album

I remember watching the performance at house of blues and learning the choreo :rip:  replayed the f outta this when it came out

5 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

Aundrea = on several fronts, she didn't seem particularly invested in the reunion from the get-go. I can't speak to her mental, personal circumstances, or issues with the girls (I think I read alot about Aubrey being a thorn in her side), but I honestly wish she would have stuck it out at least for the comeback album. IN many ways her voice IS the glue.

To be fair, I don't blame her one bit for not being interested in a reunion. I heard that Diddy was so harsh to her that she gave up on her dreams:chick3:

5 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

Agreed!

That whole recording BVs for Diddy thing was not a good look and either ignited distrust or exploded versions of it that were bubbling in the group already. That said, I don't think she or any of the members had much agency within what was a very controlled, manipulated, and money-starved setup nor did they have much industry experience to know how to navigate the group or industry shenanigans properly. In short, she and all the members were green af.

In general, I've always followed her solo run somewhat passively. So, for the longest just thought "oh, she's doing her thing on the indie circuit". But looking into things a bit more of late and it seems things have even cooled on that front. 

She was always more of a qualitative prospect artistically, but she actually hasn't been on an incline in that lane for quite a while and like you pointed out maybe it's because of the overt need to be in control. I've also personally heard ish about her fallouts with producers (ironically the ones at the helm of her more revered work).

Yes A LOT.  

I love her doing multiple genres, but she was on a hot streak within the Electronic indie circuit.  Idk why she switched back to R&B after gaining so much traction there.  To me, things slowed down a lot after Redemption.  

COVID probably played a part (ie, not being able to tour), but tbh the constant switching of genres did too.  And her prob getting burned out from trying to do everything herself.  

Lowkey prob PTSD from having the earlier part of her career be controlled so much.  So, in a way, I kinda understand why she is the way she is.  

Edited by professor2000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, teenagecraze said:

I know this flopped hard but in my head it somehow felt like a BIG album

I remember watching the performance at house of blues and learning the choreo :rip:  replayed the f outta this when it came out

DK3 was a cult classic lol.  

• Like 2

I really thought this was an independent release this whole time. There's a lot of great music on that album, I wish they would have released a proper third album and carried on. They just made magic with each other. It's really disappointing it turned out the way it did for them.

It's unfinished????

7 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

Let's please be for real. I'm a fan but these ladies were not touching anywhere near En Vogue.

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.