Why wasn't Lea Michele bigger when she went pop?

stjosephprey4us

Some of these were whole bops, okay?:

She had an amazing voice, popularity/recognition from Glee, and even a role in a movie playing Ashton Kutcher's love interest (New Year's Eve) under her belt. How come she never caught on with the Gee Pee, mostly as a musician, but even as an actress after Scream Queens?

spacer.png

because she iis not good and those are not bops :clack:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Shes incredibly unlikeable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It could be for a variety of reasons:

• Her personality. She wasn't likable enough.
  • Her material wasn't strong enough. On Glee, she was covering massive hits.
  • She didn't promote her first album as much as she should have.
  • She should've convinced Ryan to have her songs featured on Glee.
  • She's a theater kid at heart. Broadway stars rarely become massive on the charts.
  • Like 2

Cuz the real talents of that show were Naya Rivera and Amber Riley period

• Like 1

Her voice is made for Broadway, not the radio. 

U just have to listen to Cannonball and u already notice this, so theatrical. 

• Like 8

She's unlikeable, her vocal style was too musical theatre to sell generic bops, and the material itself was mid and completely indistinct. 

the timing of this thread is a little creepy as for some reason last week i randomly remembered liking some of her music so decided to revisit her discog and i have to say that don't let go, on my way, you're mine, love is alive and heavy love are all fantastic songs but unfortunately she has an unpleasant personality and i think that stopped her music career from fully taking off…

• Haha 1

@Lukey it's your time to shine

Cannonball was actually a bop. So was Burn For You

7 minutes ago, Selegend said:

Exactly this. However it doesn't really bother me because the songs were good & catchy.

If You Say So is easily her best song though, and one of the saddest songs ever.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Selegend said:

Well, she was the one who sang 50% of the entire discography of Glee, and they did fairly well commercially.

She could definitely adapt her voice to be less theatrical when she wanted:

Her voice definitely shined in heartfelt ballads though:

I think she just needed the right material + promo!

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, LatinFreak said:

Shes incredibly unlikeable. 

26 minutes ago, NausAllien said:

It could be for a variety of reasons:

• Her personality. She wasn't likable enough.
  • Her material wasn't strong enough. On Glee, she was covering massive hits.
  • She didn't promote her first album as much as she should have.
  • She should've convinced Ryan to have her songs featured on Glee.
  • She's a theater kid at heart. Broadway stars rarely become massive on the charts.

I don't think the personality excuses cut it though bc at this point that wasn't that well known and she wasn't cancelled yet. It really seemed like she could've had the world at her fingertips but around 2016/2017 that all just stopped and she eventually went MIA before making her Broadway comeback on Funny Girl 5 years later

Edited by stjosephprey4us

She wasted HUGE hype  by going with trite Sia'd material for the debut record. Genuinely a bad collection of songs for such an easily marketable, big vocalist popstar. All she needed was a Chtistina Aguilera's Hurt type of single about Cory to launch as a debut single.

She doesn't check the boxes required for being a successful pop music artist. She thrives exclusively in theater. Even her pop music covers on Glee are very theater-y. Success in pop music requires distinct personality, artistic vision, and creating music that's unique enough but also palpable for the GP. Simply put she's a performer, but she's not an artist. Her attempt at pop music lacked personality and vision. She doesn't have it. Especially since we know the modern pop star is about relatability and perceived authenticity which is the opposite of the skillset needed in theater performers which value big dramatic theatrics and playing a character entirely separate from yourself. 

Edited by Tm4074
  • Like 1

Her voice makes everything sound like an annoying musical. Not a good voice for pop. 

Edited by vale9001

She showed no artistic identity. I like "Cannonball", but you can always tell if something was written by Sia...

She's unlikeable, extra asf with her voice, making her sound annoying, and has the same pop star charisma as a wood plank with with a smiley face painted on it, she was made for broadway, not for the recording studio 

Jessica Lange will tell you

jessica-lange-totally-snubbed-lea-michel 

no promo 

1 hour ago, shoganai said:

Cuz the real talents of that show were Naya Rivera and Amber Riley period

Amber is the better pure singer and Lea the better Broadway performer. Naya Rivera was a good comedy actress but imo as whole performer not at lea- Amber level.

Edited by vale9001

She treated her solo music like a side thing during a Glee filming break and it showed. Louder was extremely undercooked and served nothing to make her stand out, Cannonball was textbook Sia but with theatrical vocals (everyone pointed that out already) and then the second single might've as well been a Cher Lloyd demo.  

2 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

She treated her solo music like a side thing during a Glee filming break and it showed. Louder was extremely undercooked and served nothing to make her stand out, Cannonball was textbook Sia but with theatrical vocals (everyone pointed that out already) and then the second single might've as well been a Cher Lloyd demo.  

What was the second single?

10 minutes ago, stjosephprey4us said:

What was the second single?

From time to time people mention pop girls whom in their collective pre-fame pasts have made problematic statements on Twitter that date from their childhoods, but nothing I have ever seen of that nature equates to the level of toxicity associated with Lea Michele. There have simply been too many anecdotes from former work colleagues about her behind the scenes conduct in the industry. She is the modern embodiment of the worst behavioral traits that are historically and archetypically associated with American culture (external of a political setting).

Edited by Dante Silva

Bop of the century , she got disappointed/dropped when her second album bombed. She had so much potential but I agree her voice was more for broadway

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.