Vanishing Letters 11 • Round 15

Auburn

lorde - 400 lux

I can't put my finger on why but I'm sort of fully over Lorde's music at this point which is kind of sad but also idk. I appreciate her and what she meant for me growing up because I feel like she's a super formative artist in a lot of ways personally, but I also feel content to leave her music in the past and as symbols of that time in my life. What I will say is that Pure Heroine is the album that leaves the most impressionable mark on me today, probably because it was the first one and because I feel like it still has a more distinct sound compared to Melodrama/SP - the former of which has influenced a lotttt of pop music for better or for worse.

I think the beat of this is pretty interesting, I like the lyrics and the sort of distilled suburbia influence it has. I don't know if this is one of my favourites.. I don't really know with this album in general tbh. I would say I like this still but I feel like it might end up in the middle just based off the other songs? Or probably upper middle idk, somewhere around there. It's a nice song but yeah, I have conflicted feelings overall that might sway things.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auburn

• Julia Fox

• Staryu

• smholiv

Top Posters In This Topic

amaarae - princess going digital

yuppp this is actually my favourite track off the whole album, crazy. the beat/production style of this just hits really hard for me and I think its the style that works the best with her vocal style. it's such a standout for the way it hits, just so good and fun. I love the male backing vocals too, they add this layer of throwback that accentuate the song even further for me.

There's something unique about this song idk, its the one that stood out the most and its the one I recall the most from her. Definitely feels like an older hit that is still referenced/beloved to this day. this will be upper half for me for sure

paramore - part ii

I love early paramore of course, most specifically their truly pop PUNK eras (riot/brand new eyes), and I think this definitely has a lot of Paramore-isms that are pretty fun to get into. that being said this is the first song in the playlist that really feels like an album track if you know what I mean. I don't know if I'm really that into this but I don't dislike it. just think it's going to be overshadowed by other songs I prefer.

kesha - the Harold song

I can tell this album and early Kesha is really nostalgic to a lot of people, especially on this site. these two albums are some of her best work, I love the way it captures her truly honest songwriting but has really fun production. and honestly? I think her music has aged the most interestingly and I feel the foundations she laid out for a lot of artists after. 

this song really shows how intelligent and talented she is when it comes to capturing catchy melodies and having very earnest lyricism that works well with the pop production. I don't know if this will be all the way at the top but probably upper half I'd say, I quite enjoy it!

sumin, slon - the gonlan song

yeah others have mentioned it but that groove is something else. it really stands out as one of the coolest aspects of the song. I love this vocal performance too, I think the whole song is definitely a full vibe. I don't know that much about her music... I do know that sometimes Korean R&B can shift really closely to the "coffee shop" vibes/lo-fi beats playlist of it all, but there's enough here that feels really complex and well rounded.

It hits quite hard but maintains a very smooth vibe. this was a great discovery, it'll be upper half for sure because I'm really liking it rn!

normani - little secrets

I wanted to send "still" at some point in this game fr, I keep thinking about that song and hope she does more in that vein. the beat to this is pretty interesting I'd say. it feels very mid 2000s at times? its not bad. I would say I feel like she kind of fades into the background though for me, it's not as balanced as some of the other tracks from this album. not a bad song, feel like its getting lost in the mix of this playlist for me personally.

amaarae - sociopathic dance queen

the chaotic vibe of this is really endearing to me. I love the parts of this album where she draws on unexpected genres and inspiration, it keeps the whole experience really engaging. I love her voice once again, the dancey beat is really exciting, and I love the build up for sure. its hard not to compare it to the other track for me though :nails:

what I will say is the two songs sent are two of the strongest tracks, they're both really engaging and demonstrate her versatility and the excitement of the album. this one is pretty hard to not have stuck in your head for hours after. I like the vibes, still like the song too, but I guess overall this is feeling middle/upper middle maybe? at least amidst the playlist... we'll see honestly!!

olivia rodrigo - ballad of a homeschooled girl

absolutely love the way she doubled down on the pop-rock and in fact went deeper into some punk/90s territory with this album. its a really great flex since a lot of people felt like she was just some random girl but I think songs like this demonstrate just how impactful her influences are on her and how she fully understands the elements of what makes their music so great. the delivery of this and the juxtaposition between the explosive and angsty chorus and the subdued, grunge verses is really fascinating. this still hits so hard and I am so obsessed with her approach to music and the way she stands out among other young pop stars. I can't wait to see what she does next and seeing her perspective on growing up... she's so talented and interesting. I loved this song and it'll be battling it out to be my winner!

"attention politician" by kilo kish

not one of the best songs on the album but j'adore

"lagos love story" by ayra starr

fine i guess? i was honestly just rly bored

"4:00a.m." by taeko onuki

somewhat enjoyable? sure this would make some lovely background music . actually it got a bit better towards the end sooo 

"from scratch" by ravyn lenae
love love love ravyn lenae , love that kind of stuff . maybe my favorite from the new album

OMG the people who submitted Part II and The Harold Song are serving TASTE :heart2:

- Attention Politician

something about this album just bothers me :redface: it sounds unfinished/amateurish

i only like a few songs from it and this isn't one of them unfortunately

- 4 AM

a fun & vibey song, the outro is long but i kinda don't mind it? very nice to listen to

- Neon Valley Street

um not the line about bombing iraqis...

i'm gonna pretend i didn't hear it

- Princess Going Digital

it's cute although her voice is annoying 

- The Harold Song

kesha is allergic to making bad songs

the best song by a white woman on this playlist 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.