Vanishing Letters 11 • Round 15

Auburn

Olivia Rodrigo - Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl: it's okay for an olivia song. definite improvement from her debut album but that's not a hard feat. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auburn

• Julia Fox

• Staryu

• smholiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Kilo Kish - ATTENTION POLITICIAN
The choppy, wobbly, tune-bending instrumentation instantaneously grabs the listener's attention. I'm honestly unsure if I love that about it, but I do know that I don't hate it. It's unique, very unique. It does get a little tiring on the ears after a while, though. I think I appreciate the uniqueness of this song more than the song itself. I honestly have no idea where this may end up in my ranks at this point.

Ayra Starr - Lagos Love Story
A cute little afrobeats serve. I just can't not move to this kind of beat. It's no "Rush", but this was still pretty fun. In fact, I wish it was a little bit longer to sustain the vibe. Short n' Sweet its impact.

Taeko Onuki - 4:00A.M.
This was definitely a unique vibe, which I really did enjoy for about ¾ of the song. The final instrumental outro wasn't even bad, but it wasn't dynamic enough to warrant such an extended section being dedicated to it. Overall though, this was pleasantly groovy and fun.

Ravyn Lenae - From Scratch
This is a very soothing and easy listen, and she has a lovely voice. Everything feels really well composed and nuanced and I find it very pretty and enjoyable. A wonderful selection.

YUKIKA - pit-a-pet
This is a complete 180 from the last song, where all of the production elements felt well composed and nuanced. This is so busy... very different instrumental sections throughout make this feel quite messy. I think the singer's voice and melodies are pretty, but this is a bit too all-over-the-place for me.

Janelle Monáe - Neon Valley Street
Similar thoughts to the Ravyn song, she obviously has a lovely voice and the instrumentation feels so well composed. I think the spoken/rapped section was an interesting addition, but probably could have done without it. The outro here was once again a little long, but overall this was enjoyable.

Lorde - 400 Lux
It's a very 'early 2010s Tumblr core' vibe, isn't it? 'Pure Heroine' (and Lorde in general) is an artist I personally haven't had much use for since 2013. This isn't a bad song by any means, but it doesn't really do anything for me or make me feel any type of way. Came and went.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Amaarae - Princess Going Digital
I've only heard this album once or twice, but I find her to be a very interesting artist. Her voice can sometimes have an odd characteristic to it, but I don't believe it does on this particular track. I really enjoyed this. Could have done without the male vocals, but they're not too unpleasant.

Paramore - Part II
When I saw Paramore vanished, I knew instantly this would be the song. I think the chorus here is really strong, but the verses just feel like pop rock on autopilot to me. This song doesn't hold a candle to the song it is a sequel to—"Let the Flames Begin"—either. This was just okay for me.

Side note: What's with all the extremely long instrumental sections in this round?

Kesha - The Harold Song
When I saw Kesha vanished, I knew instantly this would be the song. This was thee textbook example to prove that Kesha could release music that wasn't entirely drenched in autotune and without substance. She obviously has many better examples of that now, but I digress. While I am getting a little tired of these nostalgia bait submissions, I do love this song a lot and will be ranking accordingly.

SUMIN, Slom - THE GONLAN SONG
This was honestly pretty nice, and I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I anticipated. The instrumental is very slick, groovy, and fun. Not my most favorite in this playlist, but a fun discovery regardless.

Normani - Little Secrets
A song I know and like a lot, but forgot about until it was entirely too late to try and claim it for myself. I think Normani's debut was honestly quite good, perhaps even a little underrated, and I remember this being a highlight on my early listens. A solid choice, definitely.

Amaarae - Sociopathic Dance Queen
Another success for Amaarae this round. I'm not sure if I enjoyed this or "Princess Going Digital" more, but this is definitely not far away in terms of quality of enjoyability. I'll have to listen to both songs a couple more times while determining my rankings, but both are likely to do quite well with me.

Olivia Rodrigo - ballad of a homeschooled girl
A cute and fun moderately angsty song. Not really a highlight on 'GUTS' for me but I'm not mad about this submission. It's more engaging than the Paramore song and takes the pop rock crown this round.

Kilo Kish - Attention Politician

Her output has always been interesting but not for me tbh those heavy aggressive synths anyway always grab my attention from her music so you have that at least for me

Ayra Starr - Lagos Love Story

I don't like Afrobeats so you know what to expect from me ranking-wise. But this is definitely not as bad as other Afrobeats songs 

Taeko Onuki - 4:00A.M.

This is cute. A city pop classic. I have a big problem with the production of these kind of songs because they sound so dated and noisy. But this isn't bad by any means 

Ravyn Lenae - From Scratch

This was cute but nowhere as good as Hypnos sadly… whatever happened to her we need her back to have this Games Section darling queen back

YUKIKA - pit-a-pet

This was so sweet and bubblegum! I like it! Good song!

Janelle Monáe - Neon Valley Street

WINNER!

Lorde - 400 Lux

We are not in 2013 anymore but let me say this isn't bad but has aged a bit for me just like almost all PH 

• Thumbs Down 1

Amaarae - Princess Going Digital

QUEEN!

Paramore - Part II

this was unnecessarily long to be honest and i don't think the good moments (aka the energetic anthemic  chorus) were enough to save it

Kesha - The Harold Song

This was my emo song when I was like 10 lol but now I'm not that invested in it tbh. Living from the dramatics though tbh 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.