Has Olivia Rodrigo lost her momentum?

Feanor

1 hour ago, Robburro said:

what ruined Avril reputation was the aesthetics, if TBDT had a less pink image people would praise it to heavens lol

U made some points. The overlycutesy-pink aesthetic of the era is the problem :gaycat2:

KiuWmmv.jpeg 81E7mM+2g2L._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Edited by AvadaKedavra

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hawx23

• Blackout2006

• RoseBud

• zuper

On 7/20/2024 at 9:36 AM, Colmillo said:

I mean we said the same thing about Billie and look at her now

michael-jackson-reading.gif

this!!!

I love GUTS and especially appreciate her pop rock songs and personally wish that she stays in that lane forever, but I think she will try to switch things up for her next era. Her ballads do the best usually, maybe she will go the Noah Kahan folk music route for her next album and ditch the rock image. The GUTS deluxe already showed her experimenting with a few sounds, and Dan N*gro does have versatility to support her in that regard. The other option is go full pop music if she really wants chart success.

And if she does flop and it is all diminishing returns from here on out, at least her tickets will be cheap :eddie:

Edited by Acuminatus

She should have evolved her sound and image.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2024 at 9:40 PM, jeffersonairplanes19 said:

the same thing happened with Britney after baby one more time where none of her follow up albums sold as well but not because of the albums didn't sell we

I don't think she is the right example considering Britney is one of those artists that exceeded the expectations of falling into a sophomore slump. OIDIA sold 2.5 million copies in it's first week globally, and is just five million copies behind BOMT. That's consistency 

I feel bad that GUTS didn't do as well as SOUR since it's the better album for me. Anyway, it's just quiet for Olivia rn since she is on tour and doesn't have any music out. I think there will be a lot of build up in hype for her next record.

I don't want her to abandon the pop-rock sound because I think she sounds spectacular in it. 

• Like 2

Idk but all these new girl's peaks are so underwhelming in general. 

Previous generation pop girlies made such a cultural impact. While these new girls only make impact on tiktok 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

OIDIA sold 2.5 million copies in it's first week globally, and is just five million copies behind BOMT.

this is literally what i said. Her follow up album sold extremely well just not as well as baby one more time because baby one more time was such juggernaut.

6 hours ago, Robburro said:

what ruined Avril reputation was the aesthetics, if TBDT had a less pink image people would praise it to heavens lol

This. The album itself is stellar, the feminine punk aesthetic was just too forced to be taken seriously.

But she also needed to switch it up so i guess she did what had to be done.

I think the next era will determine if she's a 1 trick pony or not. I think she needs a little controversy in her personal life à la Miley, and to write some songs about it.

1 hour ago, jeffersonairplanes19 said:

this is literally what i said. Her follow up album sold extremely well just not as well as baby one more time because baby one more time was such juggernaut.

Yea, but that's a 20% dip in sales only lol. Meanwhile, the fall in sales between SOUR and GUTS is a whopping 63%

• Like 2

No, and she'll stay big for a LONG time. Her talent is exceptional and she has a big fan base 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jeffersonairplanes19 said:

Baby One More Time sold 10.7m pure according to Soundscan and Oops sold 9.3m. That's pretty darn close considering how high Baby's sales are :deadbanana2: And Oops being so huge helped with Baby's catalog sales. So not a good example. That's like saying True Blue or Daydream are flops because they didn't outsell the juggernauts that were Like a Virgin and Music Box.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2024 at 11:00 AM, vale9001 said:

You can like Olivia or not but we can't deny like Billie and most of the actual pop girls she is a singer songwriter...

i can imagine  the threads about Taylor speak now back in 2010 cause the album didn't make the same success of fearless especially in terms of radio hits. And then well....:ryan3:

this generation of new artists is different from Britney or Rihanna or Katy Perry in 2008. It can happen to have a transitory project when you don't make an album it's just trendy music made by a team of 20 people.  Their creative process is really different. The career path they try to build is very different. 

Britney was already a veteran by 2008 why are u lumping her with rihanna and katy

On 7/25/2024 at 12:31 AM, Blackout2006 said:

I don't think she is the right example considering Britney is one of those artists that exceeded the expectations of falling into a sophomore slump. OIDIA sold 2.5 million copies in it's first week globally, and is just five million copies behind BOMT. That's consistency 

OIDIA was in fact a sophomore slump. The album didn't have any big hits. OIDIA (song) literally failed to go top 5 after being a clone of BOMT (song).

• Thumbs Down 1

Singles wise sure? But the album is still one of the biggest of its respective year, she gets great catalog streams, and is on a huge tour atm. I wouldn't say it's a flop by any means 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, A-V-XYZ said:

OIDIA was in fact a sophomore slump. The album didn't have any big hits. OIDIA (song) literally failed to go top 5 after being a clone of BOMT (song).

:bibliahh: If it helps you sleep at night :heart: 

• Like 1

It feels like Sabrina has replaced her tbh as the new "It" girl, I really don't see Olivia getting bigger and starting to fade but I could be wrong.

16 hours ago, A-V-XYZ said:

You don't even believe this :ahh:

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2024 at 1:15 PM, Distantconstellation said:

Britney was already a veteran by 2008 why are u lumping her with rihanna and katy

Huh? 

Dude, she was still competing with these artists in 2008 :rip:

7 hours ago, JustHoran said:

It feels like Sabrina has replaced her tbh as the new "It" girl, I really don't see Olivia getting bigger and starting to fade but I could be wrong.

If by "girl" you mean woman since Sabrina's a decade into her career and almost 30. 

Tbh these Olivia comparisons with Sabrina are very weird. They've had very different career trajectories. Billie and Olivia are a better comparison. 

Edited by hawx23
  • Like 3

guts was an solid sophomore album that is coherent with the identity stablished in sour but still bringing something new to the table, if anything she has gained a solid core fanbase (also stop pitting her against Sabrina over a nobody, its been ages)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.