Chappell Roan says she's trying to 'pump the brakes' on fame

Gwendolyn

8 minutes ago, Tropical said:

Stan culture has really turned something as fun and uplifting as pop music into something as awful as sports culture. Racism, cheating, scandals, fights, violence etc. It's no wonder Chappell is struggling having achieved such fame and being hauled into that world.

We love to punish people who seek fame and say "you asked for this! You knew! You deserved it!" but I don't really think anyone who is not famous can truly know what it means to have complete strangers absolutely rifle through every grain of our available existence to contact our family, friends, people we went to school with, former teachers etc. There's a level of greed to it all - we demand access, we demand intricate insight.

It's no wonder Britney is such a damn mess now. Her relationships, right down to the intimate core of those with her children and her family are dissected and posted about. She's had upskirt photos taken of her pu**y blasted into magazines, photos of her being hauled into hospital, her weddings and divorced publicised. She doesn't own an ounce of her own life and is clearly mentally broken by it.

Can we please not do that to Chappell? Even when she does something offensive or dares to question your fave? Even when she flops? Can't her opinion just be that, her opinion, without hate? Just let these pop stars be. They're trying to provide something to the world.

I agree with you but sadly, this is just the beginning for Chappel. Things will only get worse from here on. That's why she needs to be around good people. The moment she underperforms, people will turn on her (there's nothing the stan world loves more than attacking someone at their lowest) or the moment she says something "inappropriate" or taken out of context and blown up, people will come for her relentlessly... that's gonna be the real challenge for her. 

• Like 4

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stunnah

• thatsmydemi

• Shimenawa

• Gwendolyn

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way to be successful as an entertainer and avoid having weirdos in your life. It's unfortunate but that's just how it goes. 

Barely anybody on this website would understand what she's saying because they're too deep in parasocial relationships with their faves and acting like they are owed things from them. She sounds smart, good on her for not getting distracted by the fun part of fame because it gets nasty real quick, and not just the crazy fans but the tear down from the media.

• Like 11

Can she tell her label to stop with the millionth PR fluff piece about her and Sabrina's rise then? :suburban:

She probably wanted fame at first but didn't truly realise what that would entail for her life. Maybe she should have gone for a more faceless concept like Sia to preserve some anonymity. It sucks for her, but she will eventually learn how to balance her life and deal with the crazies. 

• Like 2

People who act like they don't want fame or money are just... :priceless:

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 5

I love that she's still down to earth, it makes her more likeable. I feel like this is the benefit of becoming famous in your late twenties as opposed to your early twenties. You find yourself and have figured out that protecting your peace should be prioritized above all else. :clap3:

edit: God, the fact some of you are (of course) taking this as pretentious or something :dies: how ******* miserable are the lives y'all live to be this cynical? 

Edited by CottageHore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Who is this again

2 hours ago, Stunnah said:

It can read as insincere. That's why I think she shouldn't address it. Again, she is doing a BILLBOARD interview about how she wants to be less famous. 

she said this on a tik tok podcast... it was a candid conversation. :ace:

the rise and fall of a midwest princess, literally :WAP:

Edited by truthteller
  • Haha 8

yeah that's creepy. i feel like she's still in the early stage where everyone loves her and is getting universally praised so she's maybe anticipating that to end at some point which is the real test of an artist's staying power 

Edited by Dolce Vita

ppl who think this is in any way hypocritical, when there are plenty of bands and musicians who operate in doing music, press, and being in public without the high level of fame overtaking their life. I mean look at any festival line up who aren't headliners 

she said herself she wants to maintain something sustainable which is  reasonable and may look different from what people expect 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

It's sad that she is dealing with this already, stans can be your worse enemy, look at how other girls have had people trespassing their houses or having stalkers, they didn't sign up for this…

Maybe her original intention was to be a one hit wonder. Get a big hit and live off royalties for the rest of her life, but little did she know she would be admired beyond her music

• Like 2

Honestly, as much as all the stuff she's been doing including interviews like these feel like PR moves, there's definitely genuinity in what she says. When I saw her talking at Jimmy Fallon's, I immediately felt the "awkward girl suddenly gone famous" vibes. While a lot of people were comparing her to Gaga due to the crazy aesthetics her attitude and her music reflect a completely different persona, more akin to Taylor's if she wasn't extremly hungry for success and fame. I think that if I was in her position I would definitely relate

Edited by RoughOperator
  • Like 2

Girl, why are you talking to Billboard, then. Just stop talking to press and you'll stop being famous lmao.

4 hours ago, Stunnah said:

It can read as insincere. That's why I think she shouldn't address it. Again, she is doing a BILLBOARD interview about how she wants to be less famous. 

Girl stop talking right now. 

Do what Gaga and Beyoncé do!  Drop an album, disappear for most of the next 12 months, and then go on tour.  Your fans will hate you but still pay top dollar to hear you perform. 

Chapell is Bipolar 2. That makes thing even harder and she's clearly not havin a typical rise to success :giraffe: her rise is serving billie eilish-gaga-rihanna.  Overload of new stans obssesed with her

Every celeb has talked of how money is good but fame is the gross part of it. Only taylor loves the fame part of it
You have people everywhere u go askin for a picture and destroying your peace. U have people trying to kill you.
You also lose your old friendships cause the dynamics of it are different and people see you as someone different.
You get too many expectations and weight upon you
Fame is a very scary concept :giraffe:

And this was when she was just starting without a large number of fans.
Imagine the stress now with this new state of her career

8uPRIai.png

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Every time someone says this the brigade comes out like, "suck it up! That's what fame is all about."

As if wanting to make music and perform it for a living means that you can't take issue with the paparazzi going through your garbage bins, taking pics of you through a superzoom lens if you forgot to draw the curtains that day, or contacting anyone you've ever known for dirt on you.

Of course people can want the pros of being a successful music artist, which you can't actually make a good living from if you're not well known... without the other side.

Edited by Capris Groove
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No, the audience needs My Kink is Karma and Femininomenon to smash, a video for GLB, then a second album, and she cam pump the brakes!

jk.

Dead at the users who lambasted her above :ace: as if there is a school to train and prepare these young, eager and ambitious artists for fame and the dark side that comes with it.

Of course she wants to be successful, clearly demonstrated through all her hustling and the nonstop trying/second attempt after almost being broke.

Which sane artists don't want their musical outputs to be loved and appreciated by the mass, especially the coins that come with it.

And that can still coincide with her desire to not be too famous to have stalkers.

Sadly it isn't realistically feasible as some have pointed out, but that's totally normal for her to want that. Stop giving this 26yo so much judgmental condescending sh*t.
Go stream My Kink is Karma.

Good luck, babe

• Haha 2

Is this why there is no video for GLB yet? I'd imagine the label is pushing her for it…

2 hours ago, Archetype said:

Do what Gaga and Beyoncé do!  Drop an album, disappear for most of the next 12 months, and then go on tour.  Your fans will hate you but still pay top dollar to hear you perform. 

But they worked their asses off for years before being this way!

I could see her pulling a Lorde tbh. Having a huge era and then kind of killing the momentum by taking too long between releases but maintaining a level of success & critical acclaim where she can still tour and do her own thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.