Relief is coming! Work is being done to address the recent server issues. ×

What's next for Selena Gomez musically?

ShadeIena

She dropped Love On and Single Soon from her shelved upcoming album SG3, since the songs did not have the success she expected (Even though Single Soon became a modest hit) , she ended up scrapping the fun-dance album she has been teasing since 2022. I Feel Pretty was scrapped and leaked before getting a release as a Rare Beauty Jingle.

In 2021 she mentioned she had collected a lot of dark songs over the years but since then plans changed and she wanted to make a happy album.

The most recent news that came from the music, was her teasing Good For You - Fetish - Wolves as her upcoming sound.

What move do you think it could be successful?

Edited by ShadeIena
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShadeIena

• Apolonio

• goverm3nth0ker

• YourFavoriteWeapon

Posted (edited)

In my opinion, what was wrong is that people were expecting Selena to grow musically post Rare and were interested to see how Revelación and the success of Calm Down impacted in her new sound. 

Her un-shelving the original SG2 from 2016-2018 could be a mistake if it's not released as a mixtape but as her fourth album. The songs are not connected to her mental space anymore or her current narrative, most of their sound is probably dated and of course some material could be great, but it wouldn't make sense for all those songs to build up an album in 2024.

She needs to work with new producers, experiment with new sounds and grow off the ballads like she wanted. Afrobeats could infuse some of her pop music and same for her latin style but not everything. I think her working with Fred Again on Deep House , with Finneas for R&B and Omar Fedi for Urban tracks were the right direction of the experimental album that people were expecting from her.  Tainy also was a great choice but she needs to take more risks.

Doing the bubblegum , 2020 disco or minimal production ballads, are not what people want from Sel anymore and it has translated to the charts and the numbers. Also Sel needs to understand she does not have the same audience like she did in 2016-2019 and she needs to start promoting her work and performing it to catch new fans and new interest. Understanding that her fanbase is mostly grown in their 20s-30s is also a key for the music she has to make (No more I Feel Pretty's pls)

Edited by ShadeIena
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Single soon was a regression of her music. The mixing was pretty bad. 

Edited by Gorjesspazze9

1 minute ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

Single soon was a regression of her music. The mixing was pretty bad. 

I agree but people were asking her for bops and they are always asking her about the 2017 material to come back. It's a cute bop, mixing was not the best. Love On was worse tho

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

honestly i think her chance has passed. Selena is not the type to keep releasing if the music gets poor reception. 

i would love a follow up to Revelacion though

I don't think even Selena knows. She doesn't seem to be focusing on music anymore sadly, at least for now.

I'd love one more big era that would be the culmination of her music career :celestial5:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Saint James said:

honestly i think her chance has passed.

This. 

That 2017 dark pop album would've been her artistic peak me thinks. Bad Liar and Fetish were so good:jonny6:

• Like 3

I really liked that song souvenir but I guess it got lost on the way and didn't get pushed

A whole album of souvenirs would be good

i need a Taylor Swift collab

2 minutes ago, itshyolee said:

This. 

That 2017 dark pop album would've been her artistic peak me thinks. Bad Liar and Fetish were so good:jonny6:

24 minutes ago, Saint James said:

honestly i think her chance has passed. Selena is not the type to keep releasing if the music gets poor reception. 

i would love a follow up to Revelacion though

15 minutes ago, feelingsonfire said:

I don't think even Selena knows. She doesn't seem to be focusing on music anymore sadly, at least for now.

I'd love one more big era that would be the culmination of her music career :celestial5:

She always comes back to music when something big happens in her life or when she has a manic episode tho. I don't think her time has passed, she has the status and the tools to snatch a hit if she wants

• Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, ShadeIena said:

I don't think her time has passed, she has the status and the tools to snatch a hit if she wants

The thing is, does she still have an audience besides Selenators that will tune in?

I feel like that's what made the LYTLM & LAHN comeback special because the anticipation for solo material was there.

i need her to release another crowded room type song immediately

9 minutes ago, itshyolee said:

The thing is, does she still have an audience besides Selenators that will tune in?

I feel like that's what made the LYTLM & LAHN comeback special because the anticipation for solo material was there.

Girl she got the second biggest song of 2023 , it's not like she stopped having hits five years ago. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

She needs to pack it in and focus on the makeup 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Focus on Rare Beauty

probably an album that starts with the letter R

• Haha 2

Retirement hopefully 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

9 minutes ago, Apolonio said:

Retirement hopefully 

40k atrl comments, at least she could retire with some money in her pockets

• Haha 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

She should explore Spanish music more and other sounds. She actually stood it more doing those type sounds in the last 5 years.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ShadeIena said:

40k atrl comments, at least she could retire with some money in her pockets

What does posts have to do with anything? :skull: 

Dumbass comment lmao. Stay mad Selenurr stan. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 6

dark album please, give us full r&b queen

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

22 minutes ago, Apolonio said:

What does posts have to do with anything? :skull: 

Dumbass comment lmao. Stay mad Selenurr stan. 

dumbass is to be a nicki stan atp like who the fucks lives in gag city?

• Haha 1

She can continue to drop random collabs and singles, like she has been doing.  I feel like albums have not been a significant part of her music career.  

I think she could take this older material you guys are talking about and reinvent it though her newer influences, everyone wins.

Edited by gustavothehuman
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.