Relief is coming! Work is being done to address the recent server issues. ×

Björk — Biophilia appreciation thread

sunbathinganimal

On October 5, 2011, Björk released her seventh studio album Biophilia.

e56113c143b4984d6c20dcabe4342e83.1000x1000x1.png

The album followed 2007's Volta, which was a relative commercial success but received mixed reviews from critics and fans alike. While critical reception towards Biophilia was slightly more positive, it flew under the radar on the charts and became Björk's least successful release up until that point — becoming her first album not to reach the top 10 in the United Kingdom.

As the name suggests, Biophilia is all about Björk's love for nature and the environment. Lyrically, the album explores the relationship between music, science, and technology — covering everything from moon cycles to the Earth's tectonic plates. As producer for every song, Björk expertly weaves these themes into Biophilia's soundscapes. One example is 'Thunderbolt', which features a Tesla coil as an instrument. Elsewhere, 'Solstice' uses a specially commissioned pendulum-harp to embody the song's inspiration of gravity:

The most notable aspect of Biophilia at the time was its corresponding app, which released three months before the album itself. Featuring an introduction by David Attenborough, it consisted of 10 unique interactive mini-apps corresponding to each song on the album. While some of these worked like interactive musical instruments, most were games that related to a particular track. For example, the 'Virus' game would would only play the song in its entirety if you allowed the cell on-screen to be destroyed by the attacking virus:

Today, Biophilia is often overlooked amongst fans and is usually ranked near the bottom of her discography. It is one of my favourite albums of all time, though, as well as being what got me into Björk in the first place. Biophilia also includes some of my absolute favouite songs:

What are your thoughts on Biophilia?

Edited by sunbathinganimal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

we call it Biblephilia around here

ezgif.com-gif-maker(1).thumb.gif.8a7d0e294aae70e1bffaa923c5034d5a.thumb.gif.9520edf684ff2497b23873b67c0f635f.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Her underdog album but it's a very good one tbh

Crystalline, Cosmogony, Thunderbolt, Moon and Mutual Core >>>

This is definitely in my top 5 albums of hers!

I love that each song is based on something natural.

Her creativity here was really something! :clap3:

Mutual Core is such an insane song... 

My top 3 are Mutual Core, Crystalline, Dark Matter 

:gayorkcat2:

• Thanks 1

mutual core... crystalline... virus... those anthems omg

• Thanks 1

Probably one of her favorite album from her, undeservedly put in lower categories by majority of fans.

Virus , Cosmogony, Mutual Core are my favorites.

• Thanks 1

A pretty impressive project. But I wouldn't expect anything less from Bjork. She's exceptional in everything she does—a true visionary and genius. :giraffe:

I honestly thought ARTPOP and the app would be something very similar to Biophilia but more focused on modern art, But in the end, the app was.... :rip:

0gprpNJ.gif2HHjLRZ.gif

screamin
WiTInk7.gif

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Haha 5

This is the album that made me a Björk fan :heart:

I remember when I listened to the song Crystalline for the first time, and started really anticipating this album to come out!! Then got completely entangled in her discography and persona. Can't believe it's been 13 years already :chick3:

Now she's my mother alongside Lana

Edited by Verandi
  • Thanks 1

I think I only like "Virus" :huh:

But sisters, I will revisit this album and see if I hear what you hear :chick1:

Mutual Core is still one of her best songs and videos. :clap3: 

By far one of my fav albums of hers :wanda:

i love it but would say its one of her harder to listen to albums. a full on sonic assault.

cosmology is one of my faves and a top tier bjork song :alexz:

• Thanks 1

it's not even on my top 5 of hers and it's still such a ******* masterpiece

thunderbolt is still to this day one of my favourtie songs ever

• Thanks 1

It´s in the Bjork trinity along with Volta and Vulnicura :clap3:

• Thanks 1

did anyone actually use the app when it came out? I really wanted it but my mum wouldn't let me buy it on her account

Screenshot_20240307_231441_Instagram.thu

also loving the taste exhibited here :clap3:

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, flower moon said:

i love it but would say its one of her harder to listen to albums.

I always felt like it was her last somewhat accessible album before she went full avant-garde. I think that's why I love it so much, it really feels like a bridge between two stages of her career. Crystalline could have been a cute little hit for her

F4aFAXBXgAEE0F3.gif.76d8b07b0ba19dd1bea6e678a35d2d91.thumb.gif.1e9b8d96a9499444258fbe4f1738b075.gif

Edited by sunbathinganimal

I appreciate you Biophilia :heart:

• Thanks 1

Ugh this album literally was the soundtrack of a special moment in my life, it's kinda impossible for me to rank it alongside the other albums for this reason. But the scope with which she approached this record is so wide it's hard to believe she conceived it basically on her own. Plus the amount of goodies we got during the era was amazing :heart:

As of 2024 I basically love all the songs equally, except for Sacrifice and Hollow which I don't revisit as often 

This wonderful era left me with so many amazing memories :hug:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BOAZ said:

Ugh this album literally was the soundtrack of a special moment in my life, it's kinda impossible for me to rank it alongside the other albums for this reason. But the scope with which she approached this record is so wide it's hard to believe she conceived it basically on her own. Plus the amount of goodies we got during the era was amazing :heart:

As of 2024 I basically love all the songs equally, except for Sacrifice and Hollow which I don't revisit as often 

This wonderful era left me with so many amazing memories :hug:

the one dud on the album :suburban:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.