Is James Arthur the most influential male vocalist of the past decade?

Fitzswiftie

Come across this tweet on the tl and every nearly every quote/reply seems to list James Arthur as patient zero of what I can only described as "baby wailing back of the throat scream singing". 

Given how many tepid ballads from men have arisen in the last decade imitating his singing style (Calum Scott, Lewis Capaldi, Khalid, Giveon, Tom Grennan, Benson Boone, Teddy Swims, even established acts like Morgan Wallen, Harry Styles, and Shawn Mendes who started singing in this style later in their careers at least once)

• Thanks 1

He has the most annoying voice of all times :clap3:

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Say You Won't Let Go is a classic :clap3:

I hate that style, I genuinely absolutely hate it.

29 minutes ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

which is difficult to get, not everyone has that :clap3:

Edited by getBusy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

No that would be Sam Smith, non binary or not :bibliahh:

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

I've definitely noticed a trend.  It's annoying from some people (guy in the video in the OP is overdoing it to the extreme and heavily autotuned :rip:) but I've always really liked James' voice.

Brent Faiyaz should be in the convo

23 minutes ago, BODERLINE said:

Who is James Arthur? :rip: 

x2

an absolute king tbh... my fave male artist... the emotion he has when he sings is unmatched ! and y'all can stay pressed

Sam >>>

3 hours ago, Fitzswiftie said:

Harry Styles, and Shawn Mendes who started singing in this style later in their careers at least once

now when the hell have they sung like this

4 hours ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

This. Even more annoying than the bananis and avocadis singing some female singers do. 

not at all

No, this homophobe was copying others that came before him. The Fray's song "How to save a life", which he performed while on the X-Factor, uses a very similar vocal style.

The amount of melodyne in that original video :rip:

anyways, I was about to laugh and say no but now that you mention it, a lot of people seem to emulate that singing style :deadbanana2:

Edited by teenager

James Arthur's vocals are insane. Might not be your cup of tea, but he's one of the most gifted vocalists out there. His range is insane. And he puts out outstanding shows. When he rocks, he really rocks it out on stage.

I don't know if he's the most influential, but his style has influenced a lot. There's definitely a lot more in the 2000s and prior to it that has influenced the male singers today.

ew as a singer myself I HATE this kind of voice :deadbanana4: it's giving my ex boyfriend's voice teas

tbh, why can't more people just sing naturally, how they talk more? like if you listen to my songs, that's how my speaking voice sounds too if that makes sense. I'm very expressive and I have a standard ass american accent lol. i don't embellish in the "ooeeoeeue" way so many men singers do when they sing words like "use" or "youuuu" lmao. just don't try so damn hard to sound unlike your natural self?

listen to this song of mine from 2018 for example:

this is how i talk too honey. I'm not putting anything awn. 

Cannot stand his voice. Plus he's the epitome of the faux-authenticity trend that took over the UK music scene in the 10s. Zero artistry.

If ever you needed an artist to use as an example that there is little correlation between streams and legacy, there it is.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.