Olympic Games Paris 2024

Gwendolyn

The boat parade turned out to be really cool. I'm glad they pulled it off!

I LOOOVED the performance by Gojira and Marina Viotti, with the Marie Antoinettes. They had the perfect spot for that performance. Amazing!

La Marseillaise was gorgeous. It looked so majestic and regal with the singer, Axelle Saint-Cirel, proudly singing over the city. 

The runway with the queens, dancers and models was really fun. And they were up there performing for a good while. Although the camera work with them needed to be a little better. 

The dancers in the last boat were insane. :flame:They demolished that performance and the camera crew that was with them also did a such a great job. 

The masked torch bearer didn't make much sense to me, specially at the end with that longwinded horse stuff and that awkward walk towards the flag pole. You're telling me we saw this character jump all over the city just to see them walk with a flag at the end? :huh:

And you would have thought that by now they would have found a solution to the wet camera lens, but I guess they're still looking for that one. 

Of course, happy to see Gaga and Céline. 

Best of luck to all the athletes!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donquizote

• GipJo

• Blade Runner

• Gwendolyn

Visuals were strong at times but this wasn't a great Opening Ceremony. 85 boats moving at a glacial pace and then when you finally get to the lighting of the torch...handing it off every 5 seconds. It's like they decided to make everything take as long as possible.

Commentary in the U.S. was the worst it's ever been and hurt the overall experience too. Me, the entire ceremony, "is this segment supposed to be significant to french history/culture"...Commentary "This is so cool", "I just ate some baguettes" 

5 hours ago, Cloröx said:

Nothing spectacular except Kween Celine :gaycat7:

Beijing 2008 is still the best followed by London 2012 :gaycat:

Beijing and London truly are the standard bearers for Opening Ceremonies

22 minutes ago, slik said:

Beijing and London truly are the standard bearers for Opening Ceremonies

Even Sydney, Athens, Rio and Tokyo are way better than this mess :suburban:

The drag queen segment was tragic, even Katy's Bon Appetit SNL performance is more entertaining :suburban:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cloröx said:

The drag queen segment was tragic, even Katy's Bon Appetit SNL performance is more entertaining :suburban:

I also realize that it's probably also one of the rare times when drag queens are shown on national TV without any censoring. :suburban:

Celine ate

overall it was cute, a lot of cool elements. honestly they got **** luck with the weather though cause I think a clear night would have made the whole thing far more beautiful :dies: 

Making us sit through four hours of that mess just to see Celine kill it, France isn't seeing heaven. :khalyan2:

It was so messy but at least they tried something different & the night part was so beautiful :clap3: I think they did a cute job

Did we find out who was the ginger umbrella holder? 

Is there a website where one can watch the games live? I remember there was one for the Tokyo Olympics (for non US citizens)

Posted (edited)

My heart is broken for the Aussie girlies :monkey: 

So happy GB gained our first medal for diving in 60 years! :heart:

Edited by Gwendolyn

China wins first gold medal of this games edition :clap3:

Oh wait they add another one which I think from diving :gaycat3:

6 hours ago, slik said:

Visuals were strong at times but this wasn't a great Opening Ceremony. 85 boats moving at a glacial pace and then when you finally get to the lighting of the torch...handing it off every 5 seconds. It's like they decided to make everything take as long as possible.

Commentary in the U.S. was the worst it's ever been and hurt the overall experience too. Me, the entire ceremony, "is this segment supposed to be significant to french history/culture"...Commentary "This is so cool", "I just ate some baguettes" 

205 boats :suburban:

15 minutes ago, bjorn said:

205 boats :suburban:

Not every country has their own boats.

OT: Tom Daley out here knitting in the audience again, our unproblematic bottom icon:heart:

I thought the opening ceremony was pretty good. It was cool how they incorporated the city instead of just using an arena. Including the flag ceremony in the show was a great decision since it usually takes a long time. Shame about the weather. 

Best moments: The light show - Celine - The rock opera performance.

The negative was that it was way too long. Few want to sit through long speeches and never ending dance routines.

• Like 1

My country's RUGBY SEVENS team, aka what we're known on the world stage for, being kicked out of medal contention before the opening ceremony :rip:

About the opening ceremony, I liked their ambition and their vision, but it did fall a bit flat. You just can't replicate the same atmosphere, energy and production value that you get in a stadium on the banks of a river

13 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

My country's RUGBY SEVENS team, aka what we're known on the world stage for, being kicked out of medal contention before the opening ceremony :rip:

About the opening ceremony, I liked their ambition and their vision, but it did fall a bit flat. You just can't replicate the same atmosphere, energy and production value that you get in a stadium on the banks of a river

New Zealand? 

• Like 1

I will say this Darlan Souza is hot and that's the truth. Those arms, I have never been more interested in volleyball.

Edited by Phaunzie

15 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

New Zealand? 

Yes!

My entire family were confused when we found that out lol, they usually have major sevens tournaments over the course of a weekend so I don't know why they started so early when it doesn't take that long

I think the weather didn't help the opening ceremony, they expected the sunny image of the Seine to be enough for the beggining. It also felt a bit too prolongued at times and not very cohesive, but overall, it was a success. The city as a background was beautiful, the presentations great and Celine closing the show was magnificent. A lot of religious conservatives are criticizing it here in Brazil because of the gheys, that's another win

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

Brody Malone flopping :sleep:

33 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Yes!

My entire family were confused when we found that out lol, they usually have major sevens tournaments over the course of a weekend so I don't know why they started so early when it doesn't take that long

Yea, it was crazy af. Y'all are at powerhouse. Imagine being eliminate before the opening ceremony. :rip:

Argentina also got eliminated and they were medalists during the last Olympic games. :weeps:

8 hours ago, Cloröx said:

A mess. The guys testicles hanging out, like are they serious, no class. :rip:

• Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.