Katy debuts damage control: "WW is sarcastic", "it's not about the male gaze"

Riverbank

28 minutes ago, Hikki said:

She had the idea but she didn't possess the vernacular (that she thought she had) to execute it 

I think this is exactly it

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrokenMachine

• mrpartyrocker

• JayJay

• IBeMe

How is this damage control if it was filmed before the song released?

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

It's so ironic she has a song that has a lyric with "so intelligent" and she's so dumb!!! I don't think I've ever seen a popstar sabotaging their career or chances to come back big. She must be sabotaging cos I just refuse to believe Katy and her team sat down in an office room, all with salaries over 100k a year, discussing WW, agreeing to pull all the strings to basically look like an idiot and destroy your own career (or whatever's left of it).

this era will be over before the 2nd single or promotion single will be out! :rip:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

yall are truly obsessed.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 7

3 minutes ago, Jtyoung said:

Is…is this not her making fun of feminism? 😳

It could be a cute criticism to Pink Tax but lacks the punchline to make it readable as that

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saintlor said:

How is this damage control if it was filmed before the song released?

Something  tells me they expected this, cos there's no way you randomly decide to record yourself during the set to explain for a whole ass minute a scene in the video… 

• Like 4

What kind of nonsense? That's the first and last time I watch her try to form sentences.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, mrpartyrocker said:

Something  tells me they expected this, cos there's no way you randomly decide to record yourself during the set to explain for a whole ass minute a scene in the video… 

If they expected it, why would they release the music video?

3 minutes ago, JayJay said:

It could be a cute criticism to Pink Tax but lacks the punchline to make it readable as that

There doesn't need to be a punchline tho. She made a song about feminism and the second it didn't do well she turned it around to "this is satire" so the whole thing was a joke to her??

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BraveNewSeth said:

I just can't believe Katy learned absolutely nothing from CTTR. People don't want purposeful pop from Katy Perry. They don't want her dabbling into politics at all, even if it is some basic "women! **** yeah!" message. When people listen to Katy Perry they want to turn their brains off and just vibe. I don't understand why she thinks her music and videos need to have a message all of a sudden. She isn't like Gaga who actually has the depth to pull something like that off. 

Didn't she say in her latest interview that people associate her with "empowering" songs like roar and firework? She either is or acting plain dumb cos if she believes that enough to create a monstrosity like WW which is ANYTHING but empowering… this era I'm losing my faith in Katy. I grew up to her songs, my teenage years would not have been the same without her music, but what has she become? It's very sad to see

1 minute ago, Jtyoung said:

There doesn't need to be a punchline tho. She made a song about feminism and the second it didn't do well she turned it around to "this is satire" so the whole thing was a joke to her??

??? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize this was filmed in the middle of the music video shoot. That was the intent all along, the execution just sucked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are elements of bad satire around the video, but anything that made that explicit was clearly left in the cutting room floor. The editors just made it another sexualizing for the male gaze video by Katy Perry and it simply doesn't come off as smart tongue-n-cheek criticism, but as an exaggeration of her own cringe ass brand as a pop star, since she's a part of the problem. We don't buy her political statements because you can't be more the establishment than Katy ******* Perry

And then having it produced by Luke makes the point moot and I don't think framing the song also as satire is a nice cope out when the song was written by males and has that particular person attached to it

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Thanks 5

So she spent millions to record and create this big fat joke of a song and music video, flopped on arrival, and is saying the second half is supposed to be woke but it's really just the same as the first half.  I struggle with having sympathy for someone so stupid, like she continues to try but always fails to understand.  It's not growth…

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BraveNewSeth said:

I just can't believe Katy learned absolutely nothing from CTTR. People don't want purposeful pop from Katy Perry. They don't want her dabbling into politics at all, even if it is some basic "women! **** yeah!" message. When people listen to Katy Perry they want to turn their brains off and just vibe. I don't understand why she thinks her music and videos need to have a message all of a sudden. She isn't like Gaga who actually has the depth to pull something like that off. 

her biggest hit, ROAR, she keeps trying to duplicate it

20 minutes ago, perfect blue said:

??? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize this was filmed in the middle of the music video shoot. That was the intent all along, the execution just sucked.

It's not even that. It's the fact that she purposely went ahead with this whole thing knowing damn well it will not look good on her. From recording a bad song about "feminine divine" produced by Dr Luke to shooting this video that inspires anything but not feminism in 2024. It's not rocket science that this was meant to hurt her and you'd expect someone that's almost 40 to know better than this! 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jtyoung said:

I mean it was already a joke once we knew the producer. That aside if the message was clear and the satire had that twist it wouldn't necessarily be a joke

So the whole point is to mock feminism? 

She keeps showing her afilliations well

• Like 1

What's so different about the second half of the video? She had rhinoceros legs and a skimpy bikini and is walking around…  and then steals a tripod from a girl and flys away… like what even is the storyline girl 💀

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

No greater satire than having to explain that you're doing satire! /j

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Jtyoung said:

Is…is this not her making fun of feminism? 😳

girl read about liberal feminism 

well at least now there's a landslide winner for the next "dumbest pop girl" thread :clap3:

• Haha 1

It's giving "Karma was a joke" 

• Like 1

r9A1m9k.thumb.gif.e98c69f2f0a0771c3d40e9

okay so she's making fun of the white liberal feminism that she's espoused before? None of content in the video or song comes across as satirizing that? It seems like others have said, a straightforward Katy Perry song with her yiddies out and everything but the kitchen sink, including a helicopter escape? 

r9A1m9k.thumb.gif.e98c69f2f0a0771c3d40e9

This would all work much better if she wasn't trying to have to have her cake and eat it too. A more talented artist would have her **** and be able to make the social commentary she thinks she delivered on this. :celestial5:

• Like 1

This woman isn't very bright, is she? 

12 minutes ago, Morissette said:

This woman isn't very bright, is she? 

Is math related to science?

• Haha 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.