Katy Perry - '143'

livelikemusic
Oxygen
Message added by Oxygen,

143 = I love you

3 minutes ago, BlueBlue said:

Yall laughing about "I Woke Up" as lead single but actually anything would be better than WW :emofish:

How about GIMME GIMME?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• halcyonday

• Ramcoro

• Tistotal

• thismoment

3 hours ago, zoom202226 said:

Some of us need to be reminded that THE Teenage Dream album scored 52 in Metacritic. Whatever score she's getting from her albums after that is neither a drag nor a flex to actual fans. No actual fan cares about Metacritic scores.

I think Smile is rated higher than TD ! 

Woman's World is a bop, LIFETIMES was a bop, IHHM is a bop… the album is good POP music… the aesthetics are there… the rapist too… idk why everyone can't just relax and just EAST what Ms. Perry is serving. Harmless pop tunes. After consuming the depressive TTPD all year (AOTY, love ha) this is honestly a nice breather. I'll always love ya Katy, useless internet trolls have always funnelled their hate and vitriol through you for some reason :rip: bring on the deluxe!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

WONDER would have honestly been the perfect comeback single. Not produced by Puke, has her daughter featured (who she gave birth to right when her last album was released), and it's the most classic Katy song. Sure, it's a little cheesy but she's always been like that. I genuinely think that's the only way this era could have been "saved". Any song (produced by Puke) was not going to do well as the lead, let's be real.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Femininomenon said:

I love that this album is only 30 minutes long, I played it 3 times back to back today at the gym :celestial6:

Ooh i bet you have to jump to put on yo jeans nnn 

• Haha 1

Lets call this EXACTLY as it is. If Dua returned with Crush as her lead all the gays would be gagging. 

This album is a SERVE. The rock n rio concert was a SERVE. The OKHs actual problem is they KNOW she stomps on their faves in every metric ( except free playlisted strihms)

and they cannot STAND IT. 

Like there is no one alive who can put on a show like she did in Rock in Rio and she will ALWAYS have that in her armor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8
  • Thumbs Down 1

When I get to 143 posts it'll be so tempting to go back to lurking only. :ryan3:

• Like 1

Katy sounds really strong on  I woke up. The vocal production on 143 is amazing and so much better than Smile.

2 hours ago, YourFavoriteWeapon said:

OKH = Obsessed Katy Hater. I learned that O_H means "Obsessed (insert noun) Hater" months ago when I joined :rip:

Khia = This slang term meant to describe someone who is unknown/flop and is based on the rapper Khia (My Neck, My Back) and how she drifted into irrelevancy after one bit hit. The term "Khia Asylum" you see floating around on here and Stan Twitter is a way to describe where flop artists reside and they occasionally move back in and out depending on how successful each subsequent era is (ex: Dua is now viewed as a Khia Asylum member after the floppage of Radical Optimism :rip: )

Kii = It means something something hilarious (ex: "Ava Max pretending to know Elton John's discography in that interview was such a kii") 

I hope this helps :heart2: I didn't get it either initially dd :rip: 

I think these kinds of little language artifacts are huge part of why I even bother with stan culture in the first place :bibliahh: "Khia asylum" has me ROLLING.

Thanks so much for clarifying! I appreciate it!  🙏🏻🤍🤍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psychodiva336 said:

I think these kinds of little language artifacts are huge part of why I even bother with stan culture in the first place :bibliahh: "Khia asylum" has me ROLLING.

Thanks so much for clarifying! I appreciate it!  🙏🏻🤍🤍

Ofc :ryan3:

• Thanks 1

HDD have it at 8 with 40k ! Happy it will make top 10. 

• Like 2

I WOKE UP is such a BOP, she should have made it as the last song on the standard album.

Edited by Phaunzie
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Yes, AND said:

HDD have it at 8 with 40k ! Happy it will make top 10. 

BBBBBBUTTTT 35 ON METACRITIC?????

spacer.png

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Phaunzie said:

I WOKE UP is such a BOP, she should have made it as the last song on the standard album.

I agree it should have been on the standard edition but "WONDER" is the album closer to me. Such a perfect way to end 143. 

Did any Aussie Kats buy tickets yet?

I hope she announces Europe soon :jonny: :jonny: She should pay North America dust and go to SEA and South America instead :heart:

• Like 1

for the longest time i thought she was saying "they all park with no bike" :skull: 

• Haha 1

Not to be a Katy Perry d***rider but this album might just make it to my top 2 from her discography…

THE GUITARS on No More Tears For New Years are giving me a lot of feelings rn :monkey:

• Like 4

Did we ever get this pic / cover in HQ

aotwbys

ok, my review finally...

#1 - Woman's World - 9/10

Let me start off by saying I don't care about Dr. Luke OR lyrics. She could say "I'm eating my boogers" and if it's over a great beat and melody, I'll dig it. I've always been this way. The lyrics are terrible, yes, but it's such a polished Katy Perry song. It sounds expensive. Multiple layers, super catchy chorus, some adlibs here and there. Just sounds like lead single to me. I'm genuinely not sure what other people are not hearing about this. It was a mistake, yes, but it still sounds like the most radio-ready single. I bought the EP and the sped-up version and the acapella are great. She really hones in on her voice here, with the multiple layers during "lucky to be living in it" part. In a different time, YES, this would've been your biggest hit ever, you just chose the WORST time possible to release this. Clearly the best song on the album (for me).

#2 Gimme Gimme - 7.5/10 - I hadn't ruined my initial listening experience by listening to snippets, so this was all new to me. Instantly catchy. Lyrics are bad again, but so what? It's so catchy. Undercooked, cuz it's doesn't sound as expensive as Woman's World, and they could've definitely added some extra layers to this. But it's still good. Not a skippable track at all. In my Top 3 for the album.

#3 - Gorgeous - 6.5/10 - On my initial listen, I hated this one. I couldn't understand why this was the "focus" track, but now I kinda do. It's grown on me, but not to the point I think it should be released, or the lead single. No. Originally a 4/10, but over the days it's grown to a solid 6.5/10.

#4 - I'm His, He's Mine - 7.5/10 - Ok, this one has grown on me a lot too. At first I thought it was too slow. Doechii's part is cool, definitely overshadows Katy, but so what. Is it a contest? Probably definitely should've been the lead single, if the GP is taken into consideration, not just her dwindling fanbase.

#5 - Crush - 9/10 - and then is where the transitions really become noticeable. Love, love, LOVE this one. Really gets you moving. The "Yeah, I's" is the best part of the album for me. If I could say where the best part of the album was, it would be the "Yeah, I's" on this song. Very 365, just love it. Probably a bad idea to say "catching my breath" tho in the same context as Kelly. She probably won't sue. Not worth it, lol. But those "Yeah, I's" is my favorite part of this album for me.

#6 - Lifetimes - 8/10 - Best beat on the album. But it's so undercooked with only 1 verse. It could be so much more. But I can see this one being maybe a cult classic in the future? The chorus is too great to just ignore.

#7 - All the Love - 6.5/10 - So after 6 pretty great songs, imo, this is where it gets kinda cheesy for me. Still an acceptable filler, album track. Much better than a ballad or mid-tempo like This Moment or Resilient or something. Anything with a beat is better than a ballad for me at this stage in my life. It's a fun sing-a-long song. The "came back to me" is pretty catchy. Not terrible by any means, and not skippable.

#8 - Nirvana - 6/10 - This one is kinda a letdown. Fans hyped it up, and they were right about the missing drop beat. It leaves you wondering why they didn't take advantage of a prime location in a song to do something cool. It just is nothing. Feels rushed, like there was no way they shouldn't have added something, but because of time restraints, they left it blank. Kinda like "Smile" and it's absent bridge. Very undercooked. Lots of potential, so it's a shame.

#9 - Artificial - 5/10 - My least favorite. Very Mind-maze-y. There are good parts, but that chorus is so jarring. Just reminds me of the worst parts of Witness. It's not a total disaster tho. Just if I were to skip something, (and I haven't yet), it would be this one.

#10 - Truth - 7/10 - Very Hot AC Katy Perry, very back half of Prism Katy. Pretty catchy, and very acceptable album track. Not everything has to be radio-ready. Not a skip.

#11 - Wonder - 6/10 - The child's voice is a turn-off for me. But the rest is pretty solid for an album track. Great vocals on this one, maybe the best? I can see why this is last on the album. Not a skip despite the kid voice.

overall, 6.5/10. Better than Witness for me for sure. I can't even stand half that album, maybe more. This one I can at least listen nonchalantly and not be too upset with it. It's a great gym playlist, that's for sure. Bop after bop. That's what I want and she delivered on that front. Just wish she went all in and not seemingly rushed it. Feels rushed. Feels undercooked. Feels like there is an incredible album buried deep on here and she is not going to get credit for. Feels way too short. The seamless transition between songs is a nice touch that nobody else is doing. I like that for sure. It's noticeable.

Edited by spree
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, willmcclure9 said:

Did we ever get this pic / cover in HQ

aotwbys

Nope, only this quality:

DmMIcwo.png

PRISM

Smile

Teenage Dream

One of the Boys 

Witness

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.