Pew: Under-30s now ID w/ GOP more than Dems, majority have no political affiliation

Communion

• ATRL Moderator

I can't imagine how this happened...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

But how relevant are these polls REALLY? Look at what just happened in France and the UK, back to back - a landslide win assumed for the right in France and projected leftist apathy in the UK but the exact opposite happened.

People don't have to "identify" with Biden to realize that a vote for him is a vote for maintaining freedom and democracy in America :huh: and I say this as someone who thinks Biden is the worst democrat president in recent memory lol

Edited by Vegvisir
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Vegvisir said:

But how relevant are these polls REALLY?

For clarity, this is not technically a poll. It's a national survey and the tweets in the OP outline how relevant the Pew NPORS survey is to pollsters given many pollsters determine their own polls' weighing for specific demographics and IDs around what the Pew's research center wing finds in its survey.

It's not asking people who they are voting for. It's asking them demographic information, like political affiliation, religious affiliation, etc. or things like internet usage (93% of Americans now report using the internet at least daily). 

The takeaway is that there has seemingly been a depolarization around age and political affiliation within America. 

Edited by Communion

I'm not surprised. Here in Germany, many young people, especially from Gen Z, vote for the AfD. If you look at what's happening on social media in the context of racism, homophobia and transphobia, it's not surprising. Unfortunately, the progressive camp is pretty weak at the moment.

Well it is hard for people to Identify with Democrats.  The DNP does not stand for anything and does not listen to its voters.  It's more or less just the "status quo" party.

• Like 4

Social media has corrupted the younger generation 🤷 especially males 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I mean the current administration is funding a genocide which young people despise so it's not surprising they don't want to be associated as a "Democrat" during this current administration

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

Social media has corrupted the younger generation 🤷 especially males 

Social media in Gen Z circles isn't generally pro Maga though at all :skull: There's some truth for young men but it still wouldn't explain this split lol

• Like 4

It's incredibly sad how quickly the democrats have ****** things up in such a small amount of time.  :deadbanana4:

7 minutes ago, Armani? said:

Social media in Gen Z circles isn't generally pro Maga though at all :skull: There's some truth for young men but it still wouldn't explain this split lol

It's simply bc they find the call-out cancel culture of the left to be super cringey and uptight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, perfect blue said:

It's simply bc they find the call-out cancel culture of the left to be super cringey and uptight.

There's also certainly a gender divide in the identification, but younger men still end up voting very slightly Dem leaning.  

3 minutes ago, perfect blue said:

Most studies actually find that the likely gateway for online radicalization of young men is largely male loneliness (not that men are more lonely than women, but that alienation under capitalism has led to young men to be especially coerced and radicalized in ways that subvert the traditional ideas of young people being politically polarized to conservatives).

Most popular "male-coded" influencers usually are rooted in some kind of self-help field (fitness, how to pick up girls, pseudo-psychology). 

GLfygf0bcAAtdu6?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vegvisir said:

But how relevant are these polls REALLY? Look at what just happened in France and the UK, back to back - a landslide win assumed for the right in France and projected leftist apathy in the UK but the exact opposite happened.

But the polls in France were accurate, it's just that they didn't reflect the candidates withdrawing to enable strategic voting. That was a completely different scenario and Le Pen was poised to win before the left and center made drastic moves to prevent it. It didn't just happen by chance, they saw it coming and took action. Meanwhile, the Democrats are ignoring the warning signs, dismissing the polls, and attacking the media, hoping that Biden will somehow win by luck.  And in the UK, the Conservatives had been facing the prospect of a major defeat for months - no poll indicated otherwise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sprite
41 minutes ago, Communion said:

Most studies actually find that the likely gateway for online radicalization of young men is largely male loneliness

Or it's the other way around. Men have found community by sharing their views on men's rights, men's issues, and concern over how the gynocracy is treating men. This "movement" wasn't really possible before online spaces.

1 hour ago, byzantium said:

Well it is hard for people to Identify with Democrats.  The DNP does not stand for anything and does not listen to its voters.  It's more or less just the "status quo" party.

This is not true. It's just thee party has a wider net of perspectives rather than the GOP, which coalesces solely around MAGA. Plenty of legislation in the last 4 years aren't status quo legislation

I was registered indy but had to sign up as Dem for the primary recently. :dies:  Will be going back after the primary tho 

I'm going to switch my registration to Independent. Don't think Dems have a clear vision for the future. 

13 minutes ago, SeeingStars1515 said:

This is not true. It's just thee party has a wider net of perspectives rather than the GOP, which coalesces solely around MAGA. Plenty of legislation in the last 4 years aren't status quo legislation

I mean is the Democratic Party not coalescing around Biden like the Republican party coalesced around Trump? It's not like the DNP is that tolerant to dissent.  

And regarding legislation, I'm talking about the ideals the party stands for.  People don't associate the DNP with a vision or perspective so when they actually get something done, it is not very attributed to them.   

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Vegvisir said:

People don't have to "identify" with Biden to realize that a vote for him is a vote for maintaining freedom and democracy in America :huh:

But they won't vote because they don't see Biden as someone maintaining freedom or democracy.

Edited by bad guy

5 hours ago, Vegvisir said:

People don't have to "identify" with Biden to realize that a vote for him is a vote for maintaining freedom and democracy in America :huh: and I say this as someone who thinks Biden is the worst democrat president in recent memory lol

jeremy corbyn got more votes at both his elections as labour leader than keir starmer just got

Posted (edited)

This is what happens when social media allows radicalization and Isolation becomes pretty normal, especially among young men.

Edited by Princess Aurora

10 hours ago, byzantium said:

I mean is the Democratic Party not coalescing around Biden like the Republican party coalesced around Trump? It's not like the DNP is that tolerant to dissent.  

And regarding legislation, I'm talking about the ideals the party stands for.  People don't associate the DNP with a vision or perspective so when they actually get something done, it is not very attributed to them.   

I see what you mean - DNP vs democrats..... I still think we have leaders in the party who push back against the status quo, we just havent reached the volume needed to disrupt it haha But theres at least a pathway albeit slow 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.