The Kumi Koda Singles Rate, Pt. 1 [winner revealed]

Suilen

Posted (edited)

Fr3VnQG.png

Kumiko Koda didn't barge into the j-pop scene like a hurricane - her rise was slow. Her debut single, TAKE BACK, only reached the 59th position on Oricon, and while her later singles charted signicantly better, it was her tie-up with Final Fantasy X-2, a double single real Emotion/1000 no Kotoba, that became her first true hit. She saw another surge with popularity with her cover of Cutie Honey, which was the opening song for the same-titled anime series from the 70s. Her album secret and its singles enjoyed plenty of success, but what truly solidied her place in the industry and made her an essential j-pop artist in the 00s was her first compilation album BEST ~first things~ and its sequel, BEST ~second session~. The latter was preceded by an iconic 12-singles run, the covers for which were inspired by different countries. Both compilations sold around 2 million copies, and many consider ~second session~ a studio album in its own right. Afterwards, Kumiko became recognized for her ballads (for the general audience) and queer themes in her music/videos (for the gays). Her style is often described as erokawaii (sexy-cute), which is evident in how she can go from singing about body fluids to twinkle twinkle little stars, although sometimes she did manage to find the balance between the two. Overall, her career in the 2000s is nothing to scoff at, and with this rate, we celebrate her vast collection of singles from that period. You get a huge variery of sounds: Middle Eastern influences, R&B, pvssy popping beats and heartbreaking ballads, not to forget the legendary collabs with Fergie and her sister.

HZISBJ8.pngY28vPsY.png

Rules:

1. Rate each song from the list on the scale from 1 to 10. Using decimals is allowed.
2. You may give one song you adore a score of 11 and one song you despise a score of 0.
3. Send your scores to me using the PM-friendly list below.
4. Please note that 1000の言葉 is not on streaming and in the playlist, so use other means to listen to the song. Or use your memory since every single gay person probably played Final Fantasy X-2.
5. Feel free to leave (funny) comments next to your scores.
6. The deadline for the rate is August 4.

Spotify Playlist:

PM-Friendly List:

Spoiler

TAKE BACK
Trust Your Love
COLOR OF SOUL
the meaning of peace
So Into You
love across the ocean
m・a・z・e
real Emotion
1000の言葉 (NOT ON SPOTIFY)
COME WITH ME
Gentle Words
Crazy 4 U
キューティーハニー
Chase
奇跡
hands
Hot Stuff
Selfish
Shake It
Butterfly
flower
Promise
Star
you
Birthday Eve
D.D.D.
Shake It Up
Lies
feel
Candy
No Regret
今すぐ欲しい
KAMEN
WIND
Someday
Boys♥Girls
恋のつぼみ
人魚姫
I'll be there
JUICY
With your smile
夢のうた
ふたりで…
Cherry Girl
運命
BUT
愛証
FREAKY
愛のうた
LAST ANGEL
anytime
Moon Crying
That Ain't Cool
TABOO
stay with me
It's all Love!
Lick me
ECSTASY
Alive
Physical thing

wpp6TzN.png

Edited by Suilen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• Kyle-x

• Curaga

• Graves

Top Posters In This Topic

Reserved.

She did what she had to do

• Like 6

mother :jonnycat: so many good singles. excited to do this!!

• Like 3

Her tatas are probably too explicit for the advertisers but do I care? Ban naked men avis first

qYFLohX.gif

• Haha 1

BUT

TABOO

JUICY

D.D.D

Top four

2M2mG0J.gif

Part one alone being sixty songs??? These girls and their mammoth discographies...

Will do of course.

• Thanks 1

Queen of amniotic fluid :clap3:lemme do this

• Like 1

It's hard out here for a sexy and confident woman in this age of relatability

ovNCIxA.jpeg

Oh, I've been meaning to explore her discography more after getting abandoned by Namie on streaming so this should be the perfect way to do that, count me in :duca:

• Like 1

Definitely doing this. I love Kumi

• Like 1

My father worked as a diplomat in Japan and I caught her peak of popularity. But I don't remember why her career took a nosedive. What happened?

4 hours ago, Bends said:

My father worked as a diplomat in Japan and I caught her peak of popularity. But I don't remember why her career took a nosedive. What happened?

Part of it is a natural decline (mind you, she managed to get a no. 1 album 16 years into her career), part of it is the fact that Japan started to gradually move on from 'diva' artists (note that there are practically zero new artists like her these days), and, well, her appeal eventually became reduced to gays and hardcore stans. I'd say that her brand of sexuality may be seen as 'threatening' unlike AKB's 'sexy innocence' or whatever, which also contributed to that. Some may say that the decline of quality is also at play here, and I've seen plenty of Western j-pop fans claiming that they unstanned her due to bad music, but I'm not sure if her Japanese fans share the sentiment. The general audience still loves her old ballads, but they aren't checking for the new ones, though I don't think that the quality declined on that front.

• Like 4

HYPED!

4dcbc1b5ef3606d4834cb547338a1a426fe23cc8

e9aff5c595d74ace676cc3f1c58f7650b6752b6b.gif

• Like 1

The first ballot is in

GmK1fns.gif

OMG she is extremely iconic!! I must partake :jonnycat: 

• Like 2

The way this would've won the rate with a 10+ average if it had been released as a single

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Let me do this but I'm stressed out already knowing what song to give 11. Oh to be a teenager watching low quality uploads of SHAKE IT and JUICY on Youtube again

ovNCIxA.jpeg

• Like 1

Gay icon :loki:

Never seen this video before. The guy with the dragon tattoo on his back isn't really my type, but there's something about the way he shows himself off... Might have to make some gifs :gaycat2:

• Like 2

Salivating at the thought of rating these for part 2

mvJFL1B.png

• Haha 4

962d699e2d6e10d816967951d22dc44502bd77ea

7facfc1c66fab6372a99844d182b30edd234fd45

a95c5043b6d7ae0c671e07b1f8638a1bde277561

81004e0eb6bc491eecfbc193cb5ee13850d6f3bc

This set is killing me :deadbanana2: :ahh:

f6ac3a1182a7e8a4347aaba5e11c832217894f6b

:alexz2:

• Like 2

I'd do this in a heartbeat. I'd try not to give every song a 10 though, not my fault her career is so damn flawless :jonny5:

• Like 2

Her ballads are just godly

wssRKF1.jpg

I'm actually almost done already. I just need to sit on what song I wanna give my 11 cause it's HARD. I don't hate anything so I'm debating not using my 0 and just being fair :gaycat4:

• Like 1

Deserved to be a single but 13 is a bad number I guess

• Like 1

Girl wait because I'm her BIGGEST Stan here.

JUICY is her ULTIMATE song.

under ?

amai wana? 
BUT ?

Candy ? 
show girl ? 

These songs EAT

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.