Rolling Stone: "Welcome to the Hannah Montana Generation of Pop Music!"

Scars

Chappell Roan, Hannah Montana, Sabrina Carpenter

Miley Cyrus and her hit Disney show accidentally raised a whole new generation of main pop girls — and pop music hasn't been this fun in years

When Sabrina Carpenter was six, she watched Disney's Hannah Montana and realized exactly who she wanted to be.

"I remember…watching the pilot and being like 'I want to do that. I want to sing, and I want to act, and I want to dance. I want to do all those things,'' she said in a 2020 interview. Three years later, Carpenter would end up getting her big break because of the show's star Miley Cyrus, competing in the MileyWorld Superstar Contest to get a record deal. She placed third but still found her way to Disney and a music career within a few years' time, thanks to being cast on Girl Meets World.

Carpenter is not the only Gen Z pop star of the moment who found their calling from watching the show. Chappell Roan has continuously pointed to her fandom of Hannah Montana as the starting point for her own ambitions. During a show in NYC back in early 2023, Roan even performed in Hannah Montana drag for a few songs. Meanwhile, videos and photos from Olivia Rodrigo's childhood show off her pre-pubescent love for the show (and like Carpenter, she had also gotten her start on the same channel as Cyrus before mounting an even bigger singing career). The more divisive JoJo Siwa credits the show with her own origins, with her mom telling Rolling Stone years ago that she wanted her daughter "to be the next Hannah Montana." (Siwa more recently has cited Cyrus' Bangerz era as the primary inspiration for her more adult career pivot).

The effects of Hannah Montana's success was immediate in many ways, spurring the careers of her then-Disney peers like Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, the Jonas Brothers and the shows and movies they each carried. But the impact of the show and Cyrus' star power is finally being felt in full-force these days. We are now entering the Hannah Montana Generation of pop stars: young artists who are not just evoking the frilly and bold aesthetic and unapologetically sugary sweet music of the show but also the type of larger-than-life persona Montana had in comparison to "real-life" Stewart.

Full article here: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/hannah-montana-pop-music-generation-sabrina-carpenter-chappell-roan-1235051502/ 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

ngl I lowkey want disney to let miley do a hannah montana tour again chii bc none of those women named in this article are touching hannah's flawless discography :jonny6:

she needs to show the girls how to do IT

Edited by BussC,XOXO
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

hannah montana clears miley cyrus 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Hannah Montana's impact :clap3:

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Chappell Roan and Sabrina Carpenter

We love seeing talented Gen Z stars being positively impacted by a talented millennial vocalist! To think Hannah Montana ended it's original run in 2011, but it still is widely referenced in pop culture to this day meanwhile some girls from the same period seem to only be able to get articles about their downfall. The culture say no to 2010s fads. :jonny:

Edited by Scars
  • Like 2

It was obvious that is where pop music was heading ever since Old Town Road. LNX said multiple times Billy Ray was the country act he wanted on the remix because he was the only country artist he known because he watched Hannah as a kid. 

• Like 1

Hannah's impact is insane. Miley would be so proud :clap3:

Posted (edited)

These are Godley's children :alexz:

Edited by Miley Cyrus
  • Like 4

Hannah is a legend. She is for gays and girlies what Capitain America is for straights.

Hannah Montana >>> Miley Cyrus wbk

Hannah needs a lil more respect put on her name around here, no one was doing it like her :clap3:

Miley Cyrus the pop legend you are :clap3: 

She truly raised a generation with Hannah, the S1 and S2 soundtracks were like my first CDs as a kid :heart2:

• Like 2

Gaga too :gaycat2:

I love Miley but there's compelling evidence, compelling as in video footage of Sabrina crediting The Christina Aguilera as her main influence and the reason she knew she wanted to become the legend that she is today. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Miley truly one of the most iconic people of all time, it's kinda insane 

I would be embarrassed to have my music compared to Hannah Montana lol

• Confused 1

Iconic music, iconic wigs. You are a legend Hannah :clap3:

2 hours ago, QuanticXplosion said:

I love Miley but there's compelling evidence, compelling as in video footage of Sabrina crediting The Christina Aguilera as her main influence and the reason she knew she wanted to become the legend that she is today. 

Sabrina herself credited Hannah Montana as the reason she first wanted to sing. That's literally mentioned as a quote in the article. :rip:

1 minute ago, Scars said:

Sabrina herself credited Hannah Montana as the reason she first wanted to sing. That's literally mentioned as a quote in the article. :rip:

The quote of the article. Again I love Miley but there's plenty of video footage of Sabrina Crediting Christina Aguilera. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, QuanticXplosion said:

The quote of the article. Again I love Miley but there's plenty of video footage of Sabrina Crediting Christina Aguilera. 

The quote of the article...is a quote of what Sabrina said during an interview, sis. :toofunny3:

I'm sure she has many influences. Not that deep.

Edited by Scars

Posted (edited)

yes Hannah yes impact,

Though Chappell does not give me Hannah Montana vibes at all, neither visually nor musically. She reminds me more of Cyndi Lauper, mixed with some early Madonna and early Gaga.

Edited by G.U.Y_Del_Rey

Wow, we are truly in the next generation. I remember when Hilary and to a much lesser extent Raven were the people the new generation looked up too.

• Confused 1

Not surprised at Miley's influence. She was the first out of her age group to become a household name.

lol who remembers this? 

this was Migos first hood hit.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.