Who Was Biggest At Their Peak? (Britney, Katy, Lady Gaga)

Namie-Knowles

Posted (edited)

Although I was a baby during Britney's peak, I do remember A LOT of her early 2000's domination from around 2004-2007 and girl let me tell you even just watching DISNEY CHANNEL, everything was mirrored after HER. :deadbanana2:

Like her influence was on EVERYTHINGGG. From TV to Movies to Music. GIRRLLLL!!!

And then with GAGA, oh girl I remember that one so vividly. I remember the first time I held the The Fame album at Walmart once it was released. I remember the ENERGYYY and the vibe and the aura that she brought all over the world. It was insannneee. She wasn't as "mimicked" persay when it came to TV and Film during the time because she was AHEAD of her time. And talked and stood up for sh*t that the culture did NOT like during that time. Her Peak could've been as big as Britney's had she fit more of the beauty standard and wasn't near as politically controversial.

Katy was huge but her domination does not come close many of the girls. The only time she felt almost that big was during Teenage Dream tbh. But I would only hear her music everywhere but she was rarely ever talked about in the tabloids the way Gaga and Brit were. So even then still she wasn't near as big. She felt like a Dua Lipa on steroids lmao. But still even Rihanna, Bey, and other main Pop Girls had more impactful eras. You should've put Avril Lavigne in this.

Britney >>> Gaga >>>>>>>>> Katy

Edited by cuteboyzay
  • Like 2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blackout2006

• RobynYoBank

• UseYourIllusion2002

• YourHonesty

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, RobynYoBank said:

think people tend to inflate Britney's peak a bit here and forget that she peaked at the peak of album sales. Gaga was undeniably the biggest artist in the world at her peak, while Britney played second fiddle to Eminem, boy bands, and had female peers - Shania Twain, Spice Girls.

You all need to leave this in the dust :rip: None of her solo peers have two 20+ million album sellers. The peak of album sales should have benefitted them as well and put them in the same ballpark figures as Britney (18-20 million) but they only have albums that scrape 16 million sales.

Also 1. Shania Twain isn't her peer 2. The domination of Spice Girls ended before Britney debuted and Britney's 2001 album washed their 2001 album so what's the point?

The truth is y'all underestimate the magnitude of Britney's peak here.

Edited by Blackout2006
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TipToe said:

the impact of her art was very restricted to the teen pop realm and the novelty factor wasn't very big outside the controversial aspect.

What do u mean by this tho?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, VioletsandRoses said:

Gaga. 16 million albums sold in the digital era, most digital single sold for an album globally and acclaimed album. Katy had bigger singles in the US but that's about it. Britney's Peak is overrated by stans. 24m albums in 99 wasn't that hard. So many albums were selling 20m and Alanis, Mariah, Celine and Shania all sold 30m albums+had more hits. 

Dude none of the artists you mentioned are peers of Britney :rip: Why do none of her solo peers (between 1998-2001) have two 20+ million international sellers? The highest sales by any of her peers is Let Go by Avril Lavigne with 16 million sales and the gap between her and Britney's highest selling project is still 11 million copies :rip:

Edited by Blackout2006

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, RobynYoBank said:

TFM is at 40M units. There's only one album from this century above it. There's like ten albums above Britney's biggest album from just that decade alone, including multiple female albums.

Not the ChartMasters stats- :rip:

Also no there aren't? Britney has the eighth highest-selling album of the 2000s. She also boasts of the second-highest-selling female album of the 2000s, which is only a testament to her astronomical peak. Cope <3 

Edited by Blackout2006

Britney debuted 10 years before them, the music market and consumption of music was different it's unfair 

22 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

You all need to leave this in the dust :rip: None of her solo peers have two 20+ million album sellers. The peak of album sales should have benefitted them as well and put them in the same ballpark figures as Britney (18-20 million) but they only have albums that scrape 16 million sales.

Also 1. Shania Twain isn't her peer 2. The domination of Spice Girls ended before Britney debuted and Britney's 2001 album washed their 2001 album so what's the point?

their arguments always fall short when they forget Britney was the Only one doing 2 Diamond Albums  :toofunny3:

+ along with smash Hits

Not to mention Britney was peaking during the piracy peak :rip:

• Like 1

Its extremely disrespectful and highly delusional to be adding brit to these convos, no one has been able to recreate the britney pandemonium, she was like a mini MJ before 2005

And she did all of that without social media/internet. Imagine youtube after BOMT/OOPS/SLAVE/TOXIC debut, imagine ticketmaster sales of her first 4 tours, imagine the behemoth album sales with streaming

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Even when Britney slowed down and stopped being a sales monster like in her prime, she always remained the biggest celebrity in the world. People find her fascinating for better or worse so this is a no brainer. But Gaga was the next biggest thing catering to younger generations and the same generations Brit catered because she's such a magnificent pop icon.

Edited by ChooseyLover
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rev8 said:

their arguments always fall short when they forget Britney was the Only one doing 2 Diamond Albums  :toofunny3:

+ along with smash Hits

Not to mention Britney was peaking during the piracy peak :rip:

LITERALLY, like you're telling me all of her peers' best-selling albums sold up to 15 million copies during this gOlDeN aGe oF sAlEs while that is the same level of copies Britney shifted with her third album during the peak of the Napster era that significantly lowered album sales? :skull:

If we get technical, OIDIA came out during the timeline Napster was on the rise and it still sold 15 million copies within a year. Heck, even BOMT came out a bit before piracy started emerging and according to a TRL video, BOMT was on track to sell 20 million copies WW and this was just before the release of her second album. The way that only proves how monumental the success of Britney during her peak was :deadbanana2:

Edited by Blackout2006
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, UseYourIllusion2002 said:

Britney didn't play second fiddle to Eminem and the boy bands though? :psyduck: ...Baby One More Time went 14x platinum which is more than any *Nsync album, just as much as the highest selling Backstreet Boys album, and more than the highest selling Eminem album from that time which went 12x platinum. She was also a much bigger phenomenon in the media. On the other hand, The Fame is 6x platinum while Teenage Dream and Fearless, both released around the same time, are Diamond. Even Loud is right behind The Fame at 5x platinum :deadbanana2:

I think they meant "at the peak"

Keep in mind that Katy could not MOVE albums at her peak, only singles. The streaming era now means Katy is "moving" album units due to the streams of singles, but she really is not an albums artist. I remember there were conversations in 2013 about how shockingly bad she was at album sales; I heard that not many people on music forums cared she had gotten 5 #1's on an album.

I would say that Gagag got the highest peak simply because she seemed to get the most attention. Even at the 2011 VMA's people were claiming Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj was copying Gaga. I remember even during the release of the Rated R album people were questioning why Rihanna became "fashionista" like Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga was the flagship that other pop stars were compared to.

Gaga was not the most successful artist, but you would have thought she was simply due to the amount of hype and attention she got. The most viewed female video at the time, shcoking performances, etc... 

Edited by Junipero

Posted (edited)

I think Gaga had the biggest peak out of all of them, although I can't really judge Britney's because I was too young to remember. Looking at the numbers, hit singles, album sales and impact, I feel like Gaga left a bigger mark with TF/TFM than Britney with BOMT, but both had of course one of the biggest peaks ever. 

Britney had BOMT as one HUGE smash hit of the era and then a few several smaller hit singles (Sometimes & Crazy), Gaga had 4 huge hit singles (Just Dance, Poker Face, Paparazzi, Bad Romance) and then 2-3 smaller, but still big hit singles (Love Game, Alejandro, Telephone). Britney sold 25 million copies with BOMT while Gaga sold around 20 million copies, so the gap is not that big even with album sales and considering the fact they've been a decade apart and album sales went down, it gives Gaga even more of an edge. 

Impact wise, I remember Gaga being literally everywhere and everyone knew/knows about her, in every corner of the world. She was the most talked about person in 2009, she even was considered the opening act for Michael Jackson's tour in late 2009. Opening act might not sound THAT big, but we are talking about the biggest pop star to ever grace this earth, so that tells us a lot about Gaga's status. 

I am sure Britney also had an enormous impact with her debut/peak era, but that's hard to judge for me since I didn't live through it like Gaga's. 

Katy's peak was also huge of course, I feel like TD wins in the field of hit singles, but lacks in comparison of album sales and impact, if we compare it to the other two peaks that is. However, Teenage Dream is still one of the biggest pop eras of all time. 

Edited by genio
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Eminem did. 

1 hour ago, Storm653 said:

Eminem did. 

Oh yea he's the exception

1 hour ago, genio said:

Impact wise, I remember Gaga being literally everywhere and everyone knew/knows about her, in every corner of the world.

This isn't alien to Britney tho

Gaga exploded onto the scene in a way that Britney didn't.

britney > gaga > katy 

12 hours ago, VioletsandRoses said:

You do realize that album certs aren't automatic. The Fame is near 5 million pure sales alone. The SPS from PF+JD add another 3 million. Paparazzi+Love Game add an extra 1 million too. Then the album tracks also sold well. Starstruck did 900k digital. Boys Boys Noys and Eh Eh also did gold in digital. And so on. Loud sold 1.9 million and had less/smaller hits. Plus. The Us is one country. Look at their single success and album certs WW.

Yeah I obviously know they're not automatic but Interscope updated them literally a year ago. They certified TF and TFM as completely separate albums, hence TF being at 6x platinum while TFM is at 5x platinum. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.