Who Was Biggest At Their Peak? (Britney, Katy, Lady Gaga)

Namie-Knowles

Posted (edited)

As someone who was an infant during Britneys peak and a young teenager during Katy's peak I want to ask ATRL on their thoughts. Since a lot of people here are older than me and might have a clearer view of things. 

Rank their peaks from the smallest to biggest.:giraffe:

Edited by Namie-Knowles

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blackout2006

• RobynYoBank

• UseYourIllusion2002

• Rev8

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Britney and Gaga easily, id say Gaga (because I lived through both) and Gaga's peak caught the entire world on fire 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Gaga, Britney, Katy. Biggest to smallest.

I think people tend to inflate Britney's peak a bit here and forget that she peaked at the peak of album sales. Gaga was undeniably the biggest artist in the world at her peak, while Britney played second fiddle to Eminem, boy bands, and had female peers - Shania Twain, Spice Girls.

Edited by RobynYoBank
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

Britney > Katy = Gaga

ATRL loves to exaggerate Gaga's peak.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 4
  • Thumbs Down 9

Yesss let's see what the OG gays have to say:giraffe:

• Thanks 1

Definitely not Katy. I would say Gaga but BOMT was just too astronomical.

Gaga.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Britney paved the way for both of them

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

I think people tend to inflate Britney's peak a bit here and forget that she peaked at the peak of album sales. Gaga was undeniably the biggest artist in the world at her peak, while Britney played second fiddle to Eminem, boy bands, and had female peers - Shania Twain, Spice Girls.

Britney didn't play second fiddle to Eminem and the boy bands though? :psyduck: ...Baby One More Time went 14x platinum which is more than any *Nsync album, just as much as the highest selling Backstreet Boys album, and more than the highest selling Eminem album from that time which went 12x platinum. She was also a much bigger phenomenon in the media. On the other hand, The Fame is 6x platinum while Teenage Dream and Fearless, both released around the same time, are Diamond. Even Loud is right behind The Fame at 5x platinum :deadbanana2:

• Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

Not Katy being mixed in with two literal pop legends :rip: 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

33 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

You have no sense of reality with this post, sis. :ahh: 

OT: Britney > Gaga >>>>>>> Katy. Britney was absolutely massive and ruled everything - everyone was either a Britney clone or anti-Britney for a long period. Gaga was humongous, too, and definitely a strong second. She didn't have quite as much impact as Britney or the continued success, but she was the closest we've seen since.

Katy is not in the conversation. She didn't have the same impact - she just had back-to-back massive smashes. TD was massive, but she wasn't a phenomenon in the same way Britney and Gaga were.

• Thanks 6

Gaga >>>>> Katy >>>>> Britney

Britney only had 1 Hot 100 #1 at her peak and won 0 Grammy awards. Lmao. Haha.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 6

Britney above Gaga but not by an insane level. Both were the biggest things on the planet when they were at their peak.

• Like 3

Katy doesn't really belong in this comparison. 🤔 

As for the other 2, it's too difficult to compare their peaks.

Apples and oranges.

Katy is a California raisin or something.

• Thumbs Down 2

Britney ushered in a new era of pop and set the standard and Lady Gaga revolutionized it and changed the pop game forever. Katy was just happy to be on the ride

:gaycat:

• Like 2

Katy was a chart monster but her celebrity status was very minor compared to GaGa and Britney tbh.

From my personal experience: GaGa peak circa Bad Romance was the biggest. Britney had the media machine of the early 00s working on her favor, she was everywhere, but the impact of her art was very restricted to the teen pop realm and the novelty factor wasn't very big outside the controversial aspect.

Now GaGa had everybody and their momma singing and dancing to BR, the novelty factor surrounding her was more striking and reached a bigger demographic... proof of that is that she had bigger competition than Britney and still got all the industry accomodating to her, copying her "eccentric" style as the next big trend etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Britney was the biggest one I've seen

The commercial success, the impact, the influence, the insane celebrity, the britney mania

All at the same time.

Gaga was a second one, she definitely came close, but Britney was completely inescapable 

For me the 3 biggest peaks have been: Britney>>Gaga>> Taylor last year.

Katy doesn't have a horse in this race, she shouldn't be mentioned, her peak was small.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

are you really putting THE Britney Spears in the same level as pop icons Katy Perry and Gaga? :rip:

I did not live Britney's peak but there must be a reason why everybody knows her and can recognize her smash hits. 

Britney, of course.

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Down 2

The Katy setup :skull:

• Haha 4

Britney>Gaga>Taylor>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Katy (as much as i love her her peak was nowhere as big)

Britney and Gaga are legends. Katy is barely an icon herself.  There is no competition! 
:rip:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, UseYourIllusion2002 said:

Britney didn't play second fiddle to Eminem and the boy bands though? :psyduck: ...Baby One More Time went 14x platinum which is more than any *Nsync album, just as much as the highest selling Backstreet Boys album, and more than the highest selling Eminem album from that time which went 12x platinum. She was also a much bigger phenomenon in the media. On the other hand, The Fame is 6x platinum while Teenage Dream and Fearless, both released around the same time, are Diamond. Even Loud is right behind The Fame at 5x platinum :deadbanana2:

TFM is at 40M units. There's only one album from this century above it. There's like ten albums above Britney's biggest album from just that decade alone, including multiple female albums.

Edited by RobynYoBank
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

This thread gets made every 2 weeks :skull: The answer will always be Lady Gaga

• Like 1

Easily Britney as far as celebrity status. Gaga was more of a traditional artist, while Britney was a marketing machine. The endorsements, TV spots, merchandise, etc. were endless. Not to mention the tabloid obsession and sex appeal (both of which reached audiences beyond music fans).

With Britney you have to think of it in terms of all the success of her first few albums + a Kim K level media reach, which Gaga never achieved.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.