Todrick Hall on Cancel Culture: Its lost its meaning

SmittenCake

569902_v9_bb.jpg

While Todrick may be 'living the dream' he's well aware of the pitfalls of celebrity, namely the recent online phenomenon of 'cancel culture' whereby a famous individual or group is boycotted or 'cancelled' because of something controversial they've said, done or been involved in.

In his opinion, since emerging as a hashtag on social media several years ago cancel culture has evolved from a positive, 'power to the people' type of expression to something more sinister.

"When it started out, cancel culture was such a beautiful thing because it was a way for people to not be silenced," the "Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels" hit-maker says.

"But now, if someone finds a comment that somebody said ten years ago that wasn't considered politically incorrect at the time but is now, people want their careers to be over and they want to ruin them," he explains.

"I think we've lost sight of the purpose of cancel culture and, as with anything, if you use it too much or abuse and misuse it, it loses its power," he adds.

Todrick says he hopes to remind everyone of what cancel culture is - and isn't - so it can be used 'to evoke positive change'.

In order to remain on what he calls the 'right side of change', the trained ballet dancer is committed to 'evolving, working on himself and making mistakes'.

"I used to be afraid of making mistakes but now I've realised that mistakes are the most beautiful part of being human. You have to fall to be able to get back up and learn how to not fall again," he says.

https://toofab.com/2024/04/08/todrick-hall-responds-to-gofundme-backlash/

• ATRL Administrator

Not paying folks, scamming them, stealing, drugging people and se*ually as*aulting them, screwing over business partners, etc but you’re still here so maybe canceling isn’t as effective as it used to be, bitch. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

"Paying your employees " must've lost it's meaning too.

• Haha 10

Posted (edited)

It never lost its meaning, right wing just knows how to play the game, to turn real "exposes" of wrongdoings into another meaningless "witch-hunt" by false analogy, and try to make a powerful "word" overused or misused in talking points to make the public apathetic to it, just like "woke".

Keep on cancelling! :clap3:

Edited by Taylor fanboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I get so tired of people talking about "cancel culture" because the worst people never get cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

He's legitimately psychotic :skull: 

• Like 1

It really hasn't had any meaning because he has touched minors in the UK and been a staunch defender of R. Kelly, yet still he's given a platform in public to yap.

• Thanks 2

Remember when he made gofoundme because his family's home allegedly burnt down and then he was throwing a massive expensive party days later :toofunny3:

lol he would say that. has it ever really had meaning though?

I feel like the people who use this term the most are the ones who are the worst people who have the most skeletons in their closets. Like yes, I agree that ganging up on someone and searching for "problematic" past stuff is unhinged and annoying, but I think the term gets misused a lot or really doesn't mean anything at all.

It'd funny when people like Toddreck speak out on cancel culture - which really hasn't hit him as hard as it should have.

Posted (edited)

Why should Todrick never be able to work again bc he happened to be a shitty boss? It's just way too disproportionate of a "punishment" and simply unrealistic to expect from a person to go hide in a cave forever and starve to death. Bc that's essentially what the keyboard warriors suggest.

Reading through the comments, I see that he has also been accused of s.a. so for that alone, yes, cancellation should definitely be applied in his case.

I just don't think that he shouldn't be able to find a job in his field or that whoever hires him should be called out too.

Edited by dumbsparce

3 hours ago, dumbsparce said:

Why should Todrick never be able to work again bc he happened to be a shitty boss? It's just way too disproportionate of a "punishment" and simply unrealistic to expect from a person to go hide in a cave forever and starve to death. Bc that's essentially what the keyboard warriors suggest.

Reading through the comments, I see that he has also been accused of s.a. so for that alone, yes, cancellation should definitely be applied in his case.

I just don't think that he shouldn't be able to find a job in his field or that whoever hires him should be called out too.

I don't think any of us are saying he shouldn't work again. I think that he shouldn't be in charge if he doesn't want to/isn't capable of paying everyone fairly. I also think that he shouldn't be given a platform to try to gloss over the things he's done. He's complaining that people have called him out for being a shitty person and doing shitty things - and not taking ownership of his actions.

so true, why is he still around? 

He's annoying :coffee2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.