Is a "generational hit" like GJWHF more impressive than a catalogue of hits?

Kanes

Posted (edited)

As you may know, ATRL constantly downplays Madonna's numerous hits throughout her career because none of them are "generational" like "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper. A lot of ATRLers seem to think having a hit song like GJWHF is more impressive.

So what do you think? Which is more impressive?

Which would you rather want your fave to have, A GJWHF or a collection of hits?

ne7LodF.gif

Edited by Kanes

no lol

Madonna is still playing sold out arena/stadium tours,  so I guess that answers your question. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

"Generational hits" can't guarantee you name recognition, let alone stadium tours.

• Thanks 3

I mean that's subjective. I think a generational hit is very hard to get and one of the biggest accomplishments a singer can have but having multiple ubiquitous hits over time is just as significant, so both are slay I guess :clap3:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

No. They're each impressive in their own right, but "generational hits" like GJWHF are essentially flukes by another name. Those reach a point of such ubiquity that they lose the context of the artist's vision at that time and they cease to speak to the artist's impact or relevance in the long term the way several hits over several decades can. Hits like GJWHF take on a life of their own which may be financially lucrative but may also cannibalize an artist's career or other material of the same genre at the same time. A catalogue of hits, a true songbook >>> one huge all-purpose hit

No, one hit wonders are not more impressive than legends :suburban:

• Thanks 1

kinda yes, not financially ofc but pop music is and always will be singles genre. this song will live forever and as a pop artist thats all you can really ask for.

:rip: No!

• Like 1

Only if you're a hater of someone with a catalog of hits lmao

• Thanks 2

No, I rather have more hit singles and albums!!!

Posted (edited)

"She's not a fad, she was a generational hit."

ne7LodF.gif

Edited by HASHTAGPOW
  • Haha 1

"Generational hit" is code for one hit wonder I'm assuming. In which case, no it's not better to have a Freestyler and nothing than having Love Don't Let Me Go, Sexy *****, Titanium, etc

In some ways yes, in some ways no

No. There's a reason why Cyndi is always asked about Madonna during interviews and not vice versa.

No, but I wish we'd stop pretending Cyndi Lauper was a one-hit wonder. GJWTHF, Time After Time, and True Colors were all huge.

• Thanks 1

My fave has both so I'm cool with either option.

Who on earth thinks that? Madonna has several generational hits

3 hours ago, Capris Groove said:

stop pretending Cyndi Lauper was a one-hit wonder. GJWTHF, Time After Time, and True Colors were all huge.

And they're all still very recognizable songs to even Gen Z. That can't be said about most hits.

Madonna, Mariah, Britney, Cher, Gaga and Beyoncé just to name a few are artists with generational hits and an impressive music catalogue. No one would deny their impact or come for their stats. You just simply don't that so that's your answer right there

But Madonna has so many "generational" hits that can rival GJWHF like Like A Prayer, Vogue, Hung Up, Frozen (which was a huge TikTok hit recently).

Like c'mon now Cyndi's an icon but nowhere near Madonna who's the biggest female artist in history.

spacer.png

But to answer the question, I think having multiple solid hits is better than having one massive hit as it means the career has longevity and not everyone has that to their credit.

A hit is what creates a star

A songbook is what creates a legend/icon.

How are Holiday, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, La Isla Bonita, Like a Prayer, Vogue etc. less "generational" than GJWHF? Is this because of streams again? It's just that Madonna has multiple "generational hits" so her streams get spread out while Cyndi has the one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.